Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (21)

• Dar C
    6 years ago

What sort of advice are you looking for? And what sort of budget do you have; could you replace the furniture if recommended, or do you want to try to work with what you have?

• Denita
    6 years ago

I like the look so far...have you thought about an outdoor rug to pull it together? Or paint the deck a bright color?

Here are a couple of insp pics with colorful outdoor rugs and cushions:

My Houzz: Garage Sale Meets Glam in Ohio · More Info

Palmer Pointe Road Residence 2 Porch · More Info

• Beth Boyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought I had included all of that but guess it didn't post and now won't let me edit. The only item I want to keep for sure is the table; all the rest can be replaced although I would like to use as much as possible. Budget is flexible. I need help with:

• Rug size, placement and suggestions
    • Furniture arrangement and selection

The dimensions of the porch are 18' long by 12' wide. Two sets of double doors on one side, leaving 7'6" between doors (where the table is now). There is a 36" screened door in one corner. I am having trouble working around all the pathways needed for entrance/exit.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Move the dining set to one side (left) and put the chairs on the other, more like you would arrange a living room for conversation.

• Beth Boyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Denita and Beverly! Lovely pics-I primarily need help figuring out how to arrange a rug (and what size) and furniture in this space. After that I think I can move forward.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I would use the rug in the conversation area and no rug in the dining area. I would place them the way tqtqtbw mentions. The rug would serve as a way to warm up the conversation area IMO. I would (probably) use an 8 x 10 for that area. Some others on this website can use photoshop to give you an idea of furniture placement given your door locations.

• Julie Hansa
    6 years ago
    I hung fabric shower curtains on pvc around last year to give some shade, privacy, and cosiness. The pop of color made me happy also.
  • dyliane
    6 years ago

curtains to start

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Friends used Ikea's super cheap Lill sheers, $4.99 per pair, 110x98. I have some to hang on my covered deck but I have to clean and paint first.

• Dar C
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Start by measuring the area you want the rug to go, and then essentially subtract a foot from each side. You want the rug to extend just beyond the chairs when they are pulled out (so chair legs don't get caught up on the rug when people are tucking themselves in). Easiest, most stylish, fits-most-decor styles of rugs would be a jute. Whether your porch is screened or not I would recommend an outdoor rug, too.

Your rocking chair between both doors seems to float there; I would instead look for a cushioned love seat that would fit in the space between both doors, a shallow coffee table (or a table that would fit on either side without blocking the doors), and if you have the space add two more chairs opposite it (so the walkway between the two doors would divide the love seat and chairs). If you feel a love seat is too large, look into maybe bench seating that doubles as storage.

Essentially, where there is no traffic you want your dining table to be (because it's bulky), and where there is high traffic you want slim furniture, or furniture that you can move around easily. I'd stay away from rocking chair furniture, since someone might walk past it on their way in or out and snag their leg on the rocking edge (ouch!).

One last item would be to hang sheer white curtains if you want to contribute to that cozy, living-room vibe; wouldn't make the space feel smaller, provides privacy, and can soften the evening light. Hope this helps!

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Move all the furniture around and let's see how it looks. Is that left French door to the house ever used?

• Beth Boyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all-great suggestions! As you face the house, the left door on both sets of French doors is the one primarily used. They open into the house. I will do some rearranging this weekend and repost some pictures.

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

What is the table size and the size of the little bench on the outside wall?

• gigirambles
    6 years ago

What a lovely porch! I'm envious. ;-) I'd start with different chairs for the table...so don't seem like they offer comfortable seating for dining and hanging out. Yes, I'd definitely have a separate area as a conversation area with an outdoor rug. And search Google for drop cloth curtains...you'd be amazed how they can transform the porch for very little money.

• Beth Boyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The table is 72”long by 30” wide. The small bench/loveseat is 48” wide. I really want to get a longer one for seating and to lie on to read a good book. Would also love a porch swing but don’t think there is enough room with the table and chairs. New chairs are planned! Suggestions for a style that would look nice with the table?
  • Julie Hansa
    6 years ago
    Another thing I would think about is where is the view you like looking at the best? When you sit down with that glass of sangria and a book what do you want to see? Then pick that area for your living space because thats where you will want to be. And find your inspiration piece. The rug, pillow, or art that is your starting point and build around that. TJ Maxx Home Goods is over flowing with fabulous stuff right now. What do you have for lighting?
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Chairs with no arm, to save space. That way they can be pushed under the table when they aren't being used. If you like the ones you have, get two more. We will have to see if there is room to put the ones with arms at the head of the table.

How many people do you seat at the table at one time? Maybe put a benchs on the back side of the table and treat it like a nook in the left corner of the porch area.

• Beth Boyd
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Did some rearranging, and I think this will work. I agree-new armless chairs for table, inspiration piece to determine colors, rug, decor, and lose the rocker. Lots of shopping to do!! I have a cabinet I may paint and use between the doors-thoughts? Think it could be a cool addition...
  • Sue Fiorentini
    5 years ago

I would replace the dining chairs. It depends on how often you use it. You could put a bench seating on one side, the you could push it closer to the wall and get more room. Your other chairs need to be taller and wood too. A cloth runner and a flowering plant on the table. I would look for a patterned rug that has various shades of blues and greens to unify the look you have going on. Your porch is beautiful, enjoy.

• CarrieHund
    5 years ago

Rugs, pillows, wall art, and some chalk/milk paint on some of the furniture will make a huge difference.