Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canopyecology

Help! Just bought a 1993 house and need your ideas!

canopyecology
5 years ago

We just got our dream house that needs a few color and design updates, and I need your help!

Below are photos of the formal living room + kitchen + dinette area. Furniture shown is from previous owners and we are planning to buy new items (or new to us items) for the space.

I'd love to have your design ideas about simple changes that we should do first. Paint color ideas? Furniture suggestions? Rugs and drapes? Light fixtures? Lamps?

Some things to consider: We do not want a tv above the fireplace. We do not want to paint the kitchen cabinets. The kitchen back splash is actually painted tile... so fair game for repainting it!

I look forward to seeing what people suggest!!

Comments (20)

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

I have the same countertops and I used this tile for my backsplash:

Harlow Picket from Home Depot. It's a mix of stone, glass and metal. The parts that look so dark in this photo are brushed stainless steel so they are actually very light. You really have to see it in person to appreciate it.

canopyecology thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • Linda Stacey
    5 years ago

Painting the cabinets white would bring such light to that kitchen like you can't believe. Some people find warmth in dark spaces so I respect that. I prefer more light.

canopyecology thanked Linda Stacey
  • suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Congrats on your new home. Appears to be a split level. Hope you have three different controls for heat/ac; if not ... and even if you do ... consider adding a pair of French doors at the landing where the two steps meet to enable better temperature control because ... heat rises ... and that can drastically affect your home's temperature and your heat/ac bills in summer and winter. Have had experience with this.

Ceiling fans with/as overhead lights are a great idea. You might consider updating them to a more modern version, depending upon what works with your personal furnishings/taste.

canopyecology thanked suezbell
  • canopyecology
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Jamie, I like your suggestion for the back splash tile. I will check it out in person!

@lgstacey, we have painted kitchen cabinets before and are not interested in doing that project first because it takes so much time and effort to do it right. These are really beautiful in person, so we prefer to tackle uglier items first (like the painted back splash and painted cabinet hardware).

@suezbell, this house is a three story house and I have not had a chance to fully inspect the air circulation controls or duct work in detail yet. I will keep that suggestion in mind. Do you have a recommendation for the style of the ceiling fan? There are so many out there that it is difficult to decide.

• canopyecology
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@lgstacey – I have thought about possibly painting just the kitchen island. The color of the island, however, would need to coordinate with something else in the kitchen though, like the backsplash. I'm just not sure what to do.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

The kitchen looks extremely dark in one of the pics, but not so much in the others. It's hard to know which is the reality (or if the dark pic just didn't have all the lights on). If necessary, that would be the project I would tackle first--with improved lighting, if you don't want to paint.

As far as paint, and furnishings--What do you like? What do you have that you would like to keep? The wall color seems innocuous; something that is broadly popular. The question is, do you like it? I'd look for rugs a bit bigger than the previous owner's for both the LR and DR. I don't particularly like TVs over the mantel, but I can't tell if from the pics if it is feasible to put the TV on the stairway wall (with respect to viewing angles). I probably would choose a sofa and chairs over a sectional (it gives you more flexibility, especially in a small room).

canopyecology thanked cawaps
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Regarding the backsplash, I would keep it simple. You already have pattern in the cabinets and floor due to the grain in the wood. Also, I think a light color for the backsplash would brighten things up a bit.

canopyecology thanked chloebud
  • canopyecology
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi cawaps! The lighter picture is more accurate for colors, whereas the darker one has lights off and my phone darkened it further. I like your suggestion to tackle the lighting first. It would brighten the space and update it at the same time. Great suggestion!

The only item from our old house that we are keeping to add to this room is a large 12x10 rug. Colors we like are black, white, gray/beige, and colors used sparingly. We also like furniture with exposed wood. In general, we've had sort of a plant-loving retro decor in our house, but I am concerned about how to integrate our style with the 1990's style that has more decorative details, such as the cathedral panels on the kitchen cabinet fronts and wood design details on the fireplace mantel. Our "minimalist" / "natural" style that borders on a rustic / prairie style is not so compatible.

It's difficult to see in the pics, however, the fireplace has hunter green tiles around it. I've heard that this color is back in fashion now. Nevertheless, I have a hard time working with such a strong color. I would prefer muted colors that are not so strong.

Regarding your question about the wall color... it definitely has to be changed! In person, it is a builder's beige with a slight pink tint to it. I would have preferred a natural, linen white with gray/beige accent walls. Anyway, it will be nice to customize this place to make it ours. Any additional suggestions?

• zibbe
    5 years ago

I would do two to three things to update. First, paint all the woodwork white, it's not historic, it's just old oak and really dates the house. Second, if you don't need it, remove the desk and cabinet above it, repair the drywall and drop a great piece of art there. It will also give you room for a bigger table. Third is just preference, and I would sand and re-stain the floors very dark, almost black. It will offset the match to the cabinets and add a contemporary edge to the entire level and set off your counter tops.I'm going to try and in pix of one of my houses. First one is before, second one is after. I also painted the window and door trim black and changed out the lights and the fridge later.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

You might do well with a paint color like Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, which is a warm gray. This article provides a useful review on how it looks in varying light. It has greenish undertones and should pair well with your wood trim and oak cabinets, and the hunter green fireplace tiles if you choose to keep them. Always try out paint colors in your own space!

If you like a lighter color, Pale Oak is a lighter warm gray that several people on the boards have used recently.

I think minimalist furniture would work fine in the space.

canopyecology thanked cawaps
  • canopyecology
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@cawaps – thanks for sending the link on that color... it was also fun to read about the LRV value. We are planning to get a few sample colors to see what they'll look like in the room before we commit to painting it all at once. So, I am going to add those two you recommended to our list. I am tempted to make the wall with the fireplace an accent wall or to add some type of tile or beadboard to the wall above the fireplace to extend it to the ceiling and add more vertical height. Can you take a look at that fireplace pic and let me know what you think?

• jck910
    5 years ago

Please find colors that complement the oak GRAY is not that color in my opinion. A sage green is pretty with oak

canopyecology thanked jck910
  • canopyecology
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@zibble, truth be told, we already have a formal dining room just off to the side of the built in desk. So, we'd like to have a formal dining table there and then a smaller, casual and comfortable dinette set in the other area that was shown in my original post.

• lhutch13
    5 years ago
    I’ve had painted white woodwork and it’s harder to maintain. Especially with kids and pets. I don’t think I would do white trim again.

Install some undercabinet lighting. Makes a world of difference and whatever backsplash u pick will shine.

As far as color, do you like color or are you a neutrals person? I would pick a really great rug and then go off that to choose your colors.
  • Jean L
    5 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! I think you need a lighter backsplash, undercounter lighting as well. The first thing I would do is switch out the white appliances for stainless. The white ones really stand out.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I agree that a pretty linen white would look wonderful in the space. It would complement the warm wood tones of the trim and cabinets. A lighter color on the backsplash, at least until you're ready to replace it, would help as well. Perhaps the lightest color in the granite. Replacing the builder grade overhead lights in hallways is always an instant update. I would avoid ceiling fans with lights. Use uplights, floor and table lamps, and recessed lights for lighting. If you want to keep the ceiling fan, something sleek and close to the ceiling is always nice. White will blend into the ceiling and disappear a bit.

I would consider a console on the wall in the living room where the air grate is for the t.v. You could wall mount the t.v. on an articulating arm to move it for easier viewing. That leaves room for a great piece of art over the fireplace. A sofa in front of the window and two comfortable chairs with their back to the kitchen area would open up the room. Since there's not a lot of room to stack drapes, you could do one panel on the outside of each window to avoid crowding the fireplace.

Are you planning to replace the fridge and dishwasher with stainless to match the stove and microwave?

The table size the current homeowners have seems good for the area-it allows nice size aisles to move through the space. Roman shades in the dining space in a pretty print fabric would add color to the dining space. I would definitely change out the chandelier for something more modern as well. It should hang 32-36" above the table.

It sounds as though you already have your own style with a "minimalist/natural" style and there's no reason you can't use it in this house. Don't let the style of the cabinets hold you back. If that's your style, embrace it! It's not like you're looking to go full out Victorian in a 1990's house!

Congratulations on your new home!

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I don't think that you have the ceiling height to make extending the fireplace trim vertically look good, unless you remove the current mantel and start fresh. And definitely not beadboard--it doesn't fit the style of the house or your preferred style (as I understood your description of it, anyway). I don't see why the current mantel wouldn't work with prarie style, but if you hate it and want to remove, maybe tile or stone flush with the wall, if the fireplace front is flush with the wall. But I think that might be a bit of a remuddle for the style of your home and only to be considered if after furnishing and styling everything to the best of your ability you hate the mantel.

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Gray/white/black are everywhere. As was mentioned I do not envision gray with all of your warm wood. There are so many better colors. Please do NOT darken your beautiful floors! Goodness, that would be awful.

I would start with a large pretty rug that features some colors that you like. Google some images that show rooms that do not have gray sofas and chevron carpets. You will find some beautiful options.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

canopy....a few things to add.

rip out that tile backsplash. it's horrid, and repainting it will look worse. it's simple to to tile a splash, so pick something that you like. since the stone looks a little blue/black, think about doing a pale blue backsplash. stay away from battleship gray colors because it doesn't work w/the warm oak tones.

the color of these blue tiles would be perfect w/your oak and the counter, and the wood floors. you could then do some warmer grays and blues over in the living section

https://tilebar.com/roman-collection-brisk-blue-4x4-glass-tile.html

https://tilebar.com/vector-azul-4x8-polished-ceramic-tile.html

too blue? try these in Sky. off white w/a tinge of blue

https://tilebar.com/montauk-sky-2x8-ceramic-wall-tile.html

you may want to think about just painting the desk area. it would break up all of the oak overload and add a bit of oomph to the room. Could also be white, or cream, or a lighter blue. just showing you the options. of course a new table light.

painting the window casing and baseboards white would also do quite a bit. as someone stated, it's not historic oak. I think white baseboards would work way better here, in this home. for people who say it's hard to upkeep,,,no, it's not. not if they're prepped correctly. Degreasing, deglossing and applying an oil based primer will assure proper adhesion from your glossy white enamel paint. if it's too much to do, take them off and do the mdf baseboards already primed white. get the 5" ones.

some tones that will go w/all of that oak

this Pale Oak.BM Balboa Mist is similar. it's a nice neutral.

Do simply white (or just use the base white in the can. don't tint it) to paint the baseboards and some of the trim.

before and afters