Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
123anya

The gutters just went up on our portico---Horrendous!

anya McKnight
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We just saw the gutters on the portico of our new house! Horrendous! They are coming down the exterior sides of the two columns....I cannot have this!! There are water issues in the basement right below this-- a damp wall which is being sealed ....so we do need drainage. These are just tremendous eyesores though. Can they be brought behind the poles? ( between the pole and the house?) Can they be put within the finished pole?--Right now there is only a post to be wrapped later? Would they be better brought back against the house itself and not out there running down the poles?

iampatella's ideas · More Info

Comments (17)

• pink_peony
    6 years ago

hard to say what can be done without a photo.

anya McKnight thanked pink_peony
  • anya McKnight
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks ! I added three pictures!

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

If you paint the posts white, they won`t stand out as much. Where is the water going to after it runs down the pipe.

Santa Lucia & Dolores Carmel By The Sea · More Info

Exterior · More Info

On the last picture, don`t know why they chose a black down spout, white

would have looked better.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Remove it all; install these, please.

• deegw
    6 years ago

Have you talked to your contractor? TBH, I think once the columns are finished and you add your landscaping that the gutters will be much less noticeable.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

The water should be brought away from the house. They could install a runoff that is barried with a pop-up 10+ ft downhill from the house. Are the pillars going to be painted white?

• anya McKnight
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The front of the house is doing to be dug up, and the foundation sealed from the outside....the poles are going to be wrapped -traditional square poles with a wider base at the bottom and some at the top too. The water will be run into a drywall at the rear of the house.

• Elle
    6 years ago

I think it will look a lot better once the final white columns are in.

• momtotwins
    6 years ago

It took me a while to even figure out what you were even talking about as it certainly doesn't stand out to me as being horrendous. I think once the pillars are wrapped with whatever you are putting up you won't even notice them. Downspouts are very important and these look very symmetrical .

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

Just a thought, wouldn`t they finish the posts before putting the downspouts on.

• Snaggy
    6 years ago

Horrendous! .I cannot have this!!...Bit OTT don't you think ..the don't look Horrendous.

• Connie Bundy
    6 years ago

I wonder if they can re-route these around to the side of the post that faces the house? I don't know exactly what you intend when you mention the final wrap, but assume it will be flat against the post. As someone else said, usually gutters go up before "wrap," so I'd ask the contractor about that. They need to be out there, as gutters are sloped ever so slightly so the water runs away from the house. You shouldn't put them against the house, but I think they could go on the back side of the post, as you said.

• pink_peony
    6 years ago

Idk the gutters on both sides of my front porch were done like this and it was never “horrendous”. What’s being done to those posts? Right now they would be more of a concern to me. They look wimpy and out of proportion. I assume they are going to be wrapped with either finished columns or stone? If that is the case then they must plan on covering the gutters because they wouldn’t have put them on yet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

No gutters or downspouts, but a method to catch and divert the water away from the house once it hits the ground using a French Drain.

None of these canopies have gutters or downspouts.

• caj4949
    2 years ago

Our portico is a drive thru it’s great but because it is a park space it’s large with a pitched roof it has 3 metre long gutters on each side which ended ! So I opened them and extended them by 1/2 metre and the water shoots straight out into the garden.
    I would not box them in until you are sure they are large enough. Wait for a really big storm you may have to make them bigger.
    Porticos are a problem unless you use French gravel drains and no gutters

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

It's been three years since your dilemma. What did you end up doing?