Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'Cornelia'.. first bloom, strange colour...

User
5 years ago

I've not seen this on my rose before, it's usually a lighter pink. Anyone else get blooms this colour on 'Cornelia'?... I think it's a bit weird if I'm honest about it..

I expect it will 'right' itself as the season progresses... I'm going to check what I've fed it on.. several blooms have opened today like this.. I don't dislike it though..

..for comparison, this was the first bloom 2 years ago, about a week later... and more

typical of what I usually see on this rose..

...more typical blooms for me..from June last year..

Comments (12)

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow! That is so interesting, Marlorena. Almost a "sport" color. I've grown several Cornelias and have never seen anything like your bloom. How fun! Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

The rose colors vary much more here in a hot climate than they ever did in cold Minnesota and Alaska. Have your temps been unusual, Marlorena?

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for comments.... lovely photos Lisa, not too dissimilar to what I normally expect from this rose, and love those nasturtiums... slugs eat mine so I gave up on them unfortunately..

Sheila you may have a point there, we've had some unusual warm weather for time of year and that may be a reason, yet it seems to get lighter in warm climates... I'm looking forward to seeing how the blooms change over the next few weeks...

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

I do seem to remember my first impression of Cornelia was very much a sort of copper flushed orange-pink with those deeper pink buds, but I'm blessed if I can remember where that was.... UK? Aus? Not sure... or maybe it was just a verbal description, possibly from an ancient DA paper catalogue I still have somewhere, from the days when there were NO COLOUR PICS! (Rather hard to imagine/remember that now...)

User thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've had another surprise today with 'Mme. Antoine Mari', so I'm thinking it must be to do with the unusual weather we've had this Spring. The blooms are coming out much more saturated than I've seen before.

Not fully open but I don't normally see this much pink..

..the same time last year..

..how weird is that..?

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

My Cornelia last year (2017) May 24. I never remembered it fading to lilac before, either. It is a chameleon. I wonder the bushes are like those of wine grapes, where the vine yields more subtle variations of flavor (color in Cornelia's case) as the bush gets older. Mine was planted more than three decades ago.

User thanked monarda_gw
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nice there with the Hosta, monarda. I don't think I've ever seen that lilac colour before on my plant.. how unusual... Lisa's above here has a touch of it on one of her photos I would say...

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Lovely blooms, Marlorena. Interesting to see the changeable color on a Hybrid Musk bloom.

Beautiful Tea Rose bloom as well!

User thanked Krista_5NY
  • daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

That is fascinating Marlorena. I love your photo from June last year. Cornelia has a richer, more lively colour in your garden than it has in mine. My Cornelia has a flatter colour than yours.

I like my Cornelia, but I prefer yours.

Daisy

User thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nothing much wrong with yours Daisy, I didn't realise you had it too. Lovely. I hope you'll also post those quite marvellous photos you put on the perennial forum the other day, I think they're worthy of a greater audience..

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

Here is my Cornelia in my PNW garden. It is grown in filtered morning sun only.

User thanked oldrosarian