Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxbridge

Carrie Bova
12 years ago
We have recently purchased this 1970's Florida cbs ranch and are planning a major facelift. We would like to create a tropical feel not only with landscape but by changing the exterior wood siding, windows, colors and roof line. We are beginners and would love to hear your ideas!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    DeCocco Design
    12 years ago
    What a great house to work with--congratulations! I'd start by using the Houzz search box and typing in things like "ranch house renovations" or "tropical ranch house" and then clicking on Ideabooks and Photos. I'd also buy some magazines that feature homes in your region to get lots of great inspiration. Hopefully other Houzz readers will also chime in. There are so many creative people here!
  • Carrie Bova
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    We are really excited and thanks for the direction. We would love to hear what you would do. If you have any photo's or links, all the better :)
  • PRO
    DeCocco Design
    12 years ago
    When I look at home exterior photos in Houzz ideabooks, I see lots of white, teak an terra cotta tiles. Lush plants, shots of hot colors, curvy lines. Your yard is a great start, but it's almost military in order, so start carving out some curves! That wood framing around the front window area might be a good place to install some teak veneer, along with the horizontal line on either side. Then paint above or below that line a bright white and a richer tropical color on the other side. Richer and tropical does not mean silly--no peach or mint please! LOL!
  • PRO
    M. A. August
    12 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home, first are you looking for a keywest feel when you say tropical? I would start by changing the windows to white, I'm sure that with the house being built in the 1970's the windows can't be very energy efficient. Some Bahama shutters would be good and as far as the wood siding changing it to horizontal hardie board siding. Finish it off with pastel colors not peach or mint.
  • jbw4821
    12 years ago
    OMG is that the Brady Bunch house. It looks just like it. Well I loved that house!! I would change the landscaping and give it more color. Congratulations!!! Enjoy it in good health.
  • PRO
    Exterior Images-landscape architecture
    12 years ago
    I would use houzz to find ideas, put any and all photos that you like in the file.
    Now go through that file and condense.
    Once you have your thoughts somewhat centered. Call a landscape architect. A licensed landscape architect. How do you find one? Drive the neighborhood stop a homes who's yards you like ask the owner's who designed their yard. You can interview several, typically there is a 'consultation fee', pay it. These LA's will give you ideas if you are paying for their time. It is an inexpensive way to not only get new views but to see who best would work with you. OK the house itself you state you want to remodel, again if you saw a similar 'good' design stop and ask the home owner. And again pay for consults with 2 to 3 architects.

Small up front fees can pay off big time in the end.
  • littlemissk
    12 years ago
    There are so many, many options for updating it makes one dizzy to think about them all. If your area is filled with older homes chances are a number of homeowners have or are in the process of updating, just like you. I'd suggest you drive around to all your favorite neighborhoods to discover who updated their homes and what it is you like about them: paint colors, window styles, landscaping, driveway treatment, etc. Maybe not all on the same home. Sometimes homeowners are willing to share information because they are proud of what they've done. I've run into many who have actually invited me in, a stranger, to show off an interior courtyard or backyard ... "you wanna come look at my side yard, we love it!" guiding me through their home. You can also use Google Maps to view your local neighborhoods driving from your chair or local real estate web sites which usually have many photos of homes including front and backyards. Home shows and local magazines are helpful as well. Keep a folder of photos, business cards, notes, brochures, paint swatches, etc. Once you have a list of what you "know" you like, I'd recommend you set a budget and get at least three local professionals in to review your place (check BBB and check, check, check references). Someone who can actually look it over and talk with you about what it is they can do for you & your vision, and how you can get the most bang for your buck, perhaps working alongside you. They would be able to help you with making the right choices, such as should you change the facade of your home, the windows, driveway treatment, plantings (do you want high or low maintenance, water consumption issues, directional issues because of weather, etc). There's typically no obligation for an initial consultation and a rough order of magnitude estimate from them. A good relationship with a good contractor is a real plus when you own your home. Good luck on whatever you decide!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Florida should offer great construction rates. So if you 'own' the plans you can shop them. If you go directly with design/build you can not shop the plans.

With the economy as it is you should be able to get several bids on your plans and get a great job.

But, from all professionals, verify references, licenses, insurance and claims. Once you have their license you can search on the state's web site for claims and insurance.

Good luck.
  • Carrie Bova
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone for your great advice! It's decided then, we will hire a designer. Has anyone seen picture of a bungalow turned tropical? Would love to see it if you have.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just a note: Landscape designer: NO education, NO license or NO insurance.
    Landscape architect: years of education, experience, license, insurance
    House designer: No education required, no license, no insurance
    Architect: Education, license, experience, insurance
  • Lisa Franklin
    12 years ago
    We just did a major remodel and addition. We had a fantastic contractor. Are you in S. Fl? I can recommend if you'd like.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I work all over California. I am based out of Rancho Mirage Ca but have several projects in the Los Gatos, Woodside, Saratoga, Los Altos Hills, San Jose, and yes even San Francisco area.

I would appreciate any recommendation.
  • littlemissk
    12 years ago
    I'm using a site/landscape developer who is licensed, educated, experienced (30+ years), and insured. Many can follow a plan but they haven't a design sense for those important touches that take things up a notch, so make sure you do your homework, check their references and visit their previous projects!
  • jafontanilla
    12 years ago
  • alidoo
    12 years ago
    The pergola idea is fantastic! I would change that trapezoid painted off white above the pergola into tempered glass and explore all the floor to roof high at the entry if it's possible to open the ceiling. Another idea is to increase your front door in width.
  • Carrie Bova
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Wow, we love the pergola idea. Thanks jafontanilla!! Your wider fascia is a must. We are thinking white stucco on the cbs rather than wood siding. I tend to be drawn to a mediterannean/tropical. We are also able to change the window, open the interior ceiling, and would love to change up the columns. We would like to fence most of the property for pets and privacy and are wondering what would work. Your ideas are so welcome!
  • PRO
    Barnett Design Studio
    12 years ago
    I am just seeing this and hope you have started renovation. If not, I specialize in Ranch remodels---I have a Bachelor of Architecture degree and have worked in Naples for 22 years---give me a call if you need a Landscape Architect( I don't do that part). I may be able to give you some other ideas you can do on your own.With most of these homes they are "STUCK in the 80;s" I suggest a GREAT magazine Called "Atomic Ranch" LOTS of ideas there! Also, thanks for buying and older home and SAVING it from the landfill. happy remodeling to ya!
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH