Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shinelikechrist

Front Door Seal

Burt Macklin
6 years ago

We recently had a crazy thunderstorm and I noticed water coming into the house near the front door. Actually, it appears to be coming in under the sidelights on either side of the door. Our house is less than 2 years old so I'm pretty surprised this is happening. It doesn't happen with every storm, but this one was blowing super hard and I'm guessing it was coming at just the right angle/force to seep in. Does anyone have any advice on how to guard against this? I was thinking just a latex caulk along the bottom of the sidelights on the outside, but I'm not sure if that will look the best.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the area in question?

• Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the best one I have of just the door now. There is a small brown plastic strip at the base of each sidelight.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Maybe they forgot to caulk it when they forgot to build your steps.

• User
    6 years ago

Not a functioning porch, is it?

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If it were properly flashed, no water would be getting in. Caulking is like trying to floss your way out of a cavity that you got from neglecting to brush your teeth for years on end.

Looks like that’s just one symptom of a few other issues as well. Plastic cladding doesn't keep water out either. Not without proper glazing and a rain screen underneath.

Who built that house? Did they ever read the manufacturer’s instructions on anything?

Burt Macklin thanked User
  • Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Uh oh, sounds like we have some bigger issues than I thought. So what should be my way forward? Remove the plastic (cladding?) and do something to to seal underneath before reinstalling?

We are overall pretty happy with our house. However, we do feel that the construction company was... let's go with lazy. I don't know how many times we walked through the house and marked things that they needed to fix. Obvious things like dents in walls, missed paint on trim, nails we could feel through the carpet, etc. We finally got the foreman (forewoman in this case) to walk through with us and we used tape to mark everything we saw. Still, seems like they cut corners wherever they could.

By the way, the step to the deck is missing because they did a raised sidewalk type of deal. I had never really seen something like it, but the sidewalk comes from the left in the picture and then there is a poured step along the front of the deck.

• User
    6 years ago

So how do you step up or down to/from the porch to the cement? That step can not be up to code as it is too high.

Not to mention the missing code-required stair railings.

Get the builder back to repair the leak. Why did it take two years to discover?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

That porch is just weird a roof over the entry is always a good idea along with all the suggetions

• wacokid
    6 years ago

You have a leak issue with the front door during heavy storms? Re-build the house....or you could get a door shoe with a raindrip

http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/320-32223.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG0HCGUyTfcV4wdWmdv2w3Ub-WNZ4vGM9D_2DCTbhN21-JOx_Vy-lNAaAn76EALw_wcB

• User
    6 years ago

OP said, "it appears to be coming in under the sidelights on either side of the door."

• Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wasn't expecting all of the questions about the deck. The sidewalk has two layers. One is at ground level and the other is a step that bridges the gap between the deck stairs and the lower sidewalk. Also, this pic was taken before the final landscape grading was completed. The ground is much closer to the deck than is apparent in this photo.

As for why I just noticed, it seems to only happen during a downpour and when the wind is blowing it just right. The rain has to be coming at the sidelights directly. It also isn't like water is flowing in. Just dampness on the hardwood. In the past, I did think it seemed like the wood was showing signs of having been wet, but it's never been bad enough to notice until this past large storm.

Also, I doubt the builder will repair. It's been over 2 years since original build so we're well past the warranty time frame. Might not hurt to reach out anyway though just to see what they say.

• User
    6 years ago

Post a current photo of deck and door entry.

How long was your Construction Warranty?

Does your State have Warranty Requirements imposed on the Builder?

• Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not sure I guess about the state requirements. Was told only 1 year at closing.

• DavidR
    6 years ago

> Still, seems like they cut corners wherever they could.

There seems to be a lot of that going around, at least where I live. It's been years since I've met a newly built house that I thought was really well made. Fancy 7-figure-plus houses are at least as bad as the mass market stuff.

That's one reason that I like old houses.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

More than likely no sill pan or properly installed sill pan. Since this sounds like a development home I would guess no sill pan. All the caulk in the world will not help. Pull the door, install a proper sill pan (metal or plastic would work fine) and reinstall the door.

• User
    6 years ago

And still no current photo. lol

• Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I finally got around to getting a current photo.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

I’m still confused how one gets up to the front door?

• User
    5 years ago

"Sorry for the delay. I finally got around to getting a current photo."

Molly, I don't think we'll get a straight answer. He's just "funnin" us.

• Burt Macklin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Funnin you? Is that photo not helpful for the leak issue? I really didn't mean to throw everyone off with the original unfinished photo. I'll get a pic of the steps, but I'm really focused on trying to get the leak fixed. I thought it would be better to have a close up of the sidelight rather than a wide framed pic.