Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Anyone manning the fort over at this other Brom Forum?

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Nev and anyone else who can help,

I recently came across the Bromeliad Forum. There doesn't appear to be much recent activity, however, there is a wealth of information in the old posts. If you are not a registered member, you are not privy to any of the posted photos within the threads. I registered several days ago and have been waiting patiently for administrator approval. I would love to be able to view everything, including photos, in the thousands of posts that are still archived there. Nev do you (or does anyone else) know if there is still an active administrator for that forum? Nev, I'm kindly asking you because I can see your wonderful footprints all over on that site.

Thanks very much!

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (10)

• debbyabq
    5 years ago

I joined that forum maybe... three years ago but haven't visited much. It took them a while to get back to me, then we had some password and user name problems. I think I have them right now, and I did contribute some thoughts, but since nothing much happens there these days... but you are right, once I joined up I went to the beginning of that list and read forward. Lots of info and pictures from around the world. You'll recognize some names from this forum. Sometimes, too, plant sellers, like Plant Oddities, Rainforest Flora, Coastal Tillandsia Supply, Birdrock, Tropiflora, and probably others have a lot of pictures and info. http://www.bsi.org is also a good source, including offering back issues of their Journal for free (going decades back, to when collecting tillies meant jungle expeditions and the danger of the USDA probably killing the plants collected with great difficulty... I downloaded a bunch of the Journals one week; they were mostly dedicated to broms though). Facebook has pages dedicated to Broms and Tillies (see Planet Tillandsia, and many other pages). Finally, YouTube has a growing number of videos about tillies and broms, some good, some just interesting (it takes courage to make and post a video!).

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked debbyabq
  • Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Debby, for the info. I'm hook, line and sinker into broms and I've been to most of those sites you mentioned already. It's just that the Bromeliad Forum - even if defunct - is NEW reading material to me! (Although you are RIGHT - there is a TON of good, juicy reading material in ALL of those old Bromeliad Society International journals!!!!)

However, it's been over a week and I am yet to be admitted into the club (ie. approved by the forum administrator). :(

I have (twice) emailed the forum administrator at the email address posted on the site. No reply so far.

Just look at this enticing title on this just-out-of-my-reach-forum: "Tips, Tricks and Hints". Who could stand not to click on THAT?! But here's how one of the posts appears when you can't log in:

If anyone knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone that can get me in, I'd appreciate it! :)

Carol in Jacksonville (FL)

Original Author
    5 years ago

PS. I can't even make a donation, LOL. Even THAT requires you to be fully registered and logged in. (I thought maybe a donation would get someone's attention... )

• Lars
    5 years ago

There is a facebook Bromeliad group that appears to be fairly active. I put in a request to join, and it says that there are 10 member in Los Angeles and almost 3000 worldwide. I limit my facebook activity (more than my brother does) because I don't like facebook in general. I stay on it just so that I can keep in touch with certain people that I know, but I have limited myself to fewer than 75 friends.

ETA: The facebook group accepted me, and I was then able to look at the posts - most of which are just photos, but there are tons of photos there.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Lars,

I saw your photo post on the FB brom group yesterday. Nice! What I've noticed is that the FB folks have very, very few discussions. It's just photos and Likes. I don't know where anyone goes now to discuss broms?

I did get a nice note from the moderator of the Bromeliad Forum that he would approve my registration soon. Still waiting patiently. :)

Carol

• debbyabq
    5 years ago

I'm sorry I'm late replying, Love. I'm glad you're getting into the Brom Society journals; the oldest ones are fascinating, what they could do back then! I was going to say also that as I think that one forum is in South Africa, who knows what is happening there that may cause delays. Since you have gotten a reply now, I hope you get in quickly! As for facebook, I know Barry Landau has made dozens (maybe hundreds?) of brom- and tillie-oriented YouTube videos (under his name and for Rainforest Flora) -- Barry has a lot of facebook chapters(? -- he calls them "planets") but I haven't examined them (no time...), there are so many "planets" he has devoted to various subjects. I bet his and other facebook brom-oriented pages would enjoy it if you got some discussions started. Ask some questions, readers may chime in -- and may live near you! :) Also i note Instagram has broms and tillandsia lovers, but pictures are their main draw -- but there can be comments by pictures, which could lead to long discussions and links :)

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked debbyabq
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Debby, thanks for all the additional resources to fill my brom cravings!

I re-joined Instagram... now they are requiring my telephone number... now I remember why I deleted my account. (eyeroll)

Still waiting, by the way, for the South African bromeliad forum add. I nudged the admin again this morning (via Facebook)...

Carol

• Kathy Johnson
    4 years ago

This is an old thread but I'm late to the party. I stay away from GarenWeb mostly because of this new format since joining up with Houzz. Facebook is just easier to navigate using my phone. I'm also on National Gardening Association site more than GW now. I am a member of a Bromeliad group on Facebook but they don't do any trading or selling. Can anyone point me to a good group? I have a bilbergia nutans & would like to find starts of different varieties. I had one that was sold as "Moulin rouge" but it either died or reverted back to plain green because I can't find it. I have given several to animal shelters & rescues (& once to a girl with cancer) for auctions & raffles. So I like to grow stuff people around here wouldn't think was too common.

• Lars
    4 years ago

Kathy, you can join BSI (Bromeliad Society International), and they have local chapters where people meet and exchange bromeliads. I also exchanged some at a Los Angeles plant swap group on Facebook, but I seldom go on Facebook (It does not work on my phone and causes countless problems there).

You could also go to the World Bromeliad Conference 2020 in Sarasota, Florida. I went to the one last year in San Diego, but that was just 120 miles from me and took about two hours and 15 minutes to drive there. We did stay in San Diego for several days, in order to be able to attend several events.

Sponsored
More Discussions