Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_lehman

What would you do with this space?

Tracy Lehman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

We are trying to figure out the space in our kitchen/breakfast area. Some issues we run into is current table and chair placement blocks the flow to the door leading to our backyard, the chandelier is not correctly centered but the table is currently centered under it. We also often run into an issue of needing more seating, clashing woods, and storage space even though we hate the current shaving unit. My question is: What would you do with this space?

We have discussed moving/changing the lighting, getting rid of the shelving unit, and creating a breakfast nook with backless l-shaped bench seats at the window, but finding items that work together and in this space and don't clash with the wood has been challenging. I would love to know what others would do.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

L shaped bench rectangle table bench on outside that tucks under. a bench can be hinged to house all those cookbooks and what not. add a pantry cabinet to the left of the ovens that flows into the seating. You do not need to move the electrical, you can swag a chain hung fixture to center very easily.

• Kim
    5 years ago

Yes- a rectangular table with bench seating. Tape it off to make sure of sizing and space!

• bossyvossy
    5 years ago

Is b/fast area used daily? If not, I’d put chair in the corner to free up passage to back Door. You’re either going to be sitting at table or outdoors but not both at same time. Unless you don’t like it or are tired of set, I’d do nothing and leave as is. A rectangular setup would work better as no chair shuffling to do but when you move, you leave rectangular setup behind b/c usually built in. Your need to change is not a must, but rather a discretionary decision.

the Chandy doesn’t look terribly off center, unless it’s the way pic was taken.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

I would put a rectangular table there instead of a round one. I would put down a rectangular area rug to cover up the hard wood floor underneath the table and chairs so that you don't have to worry about the clashing wood issue.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

1/8th turn. 1/4 turn puts them exactly where they are now :-)

• lazy_gardens
    5 years ago

I like the idea of a bench seating in the windows, with storage under the seats, and a square table.

Get the table placed correctly and then swag the chandelier into position.

For now, put the table for best traffic flow and ignore the light - you aren't bumping into it.

• auntthelma
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Smaller chairs would help toward making it feel less of an obstruction.

Vintage · More Info
    I love banquettes, so I vote with the window benches.
    My Houzz: Metropolitan Chic in Boston's Tony Back Bay · More Info

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    5 years ago

We really do like the idea of a breakfast nook there, however you could also get a smaller table with seating to go in that area and make it work as well. Here are a few ideas for you to get you started:

Westlake Hills: Dining Room · More Info

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Do you actually need the table in that space at all. For 2 or 4 ?What do you actually need. As for shelving unit what purpose does it serve for storage all I see are magazines and books , neither of which are needed in a kitchen.I see no clashing woods unless you mean the floor and the chair legs which IMO are not an issue. A floor plan and some pics of the kitchen and this space would be helpful.