Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drsaj

The Great Knob or Pull Debate

drsaj
5 years ago
I'm selecting the hardware for my kitchen remodel. I thought I had my mind made up about pulls on the drawers and knobs on the doors until I saw the knobs on the doors. The upper cabinets are 40" and the knobs are 1.25". The knobs look great on the lower doors, but seem so small on the uppers. The 1.25" is the biggest knob they offer in this style I like. Please vote for which you think looks best overall. Knob, smaller pull (6.5" end to end) or larger pull (8.5" end to end).
Knobs
Smaller Pull
Larger Pull

Comments (51)

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, stacked cabinets. Was planning to put knobs on the stacked cabinets either way.
  • acm
    5 years ago

I'd use pulls. I can't tell which are which from your photos, but probably just match the ones used on the lowers. uh, larger. :)

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

do the smaller pulls. you've escaped all those small (square) knobs which get out of line easily and would make you crazy.

• K R
    5 years ago

Agreed, although I like the look of the knobs I would just put them in the stacked boxes, because those suckers are always moving. The pulls are beautiful, are they brushed nickel? Can you provide a link to the knobs and the pulls please?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sara, thank you. They are the Studio Collection from Hickory Hardware and are satin nickel. If you Google that you'll find that these can be purchased pretty much everywhere. Here is the Hickory Hardware link: https://hickoryhardware.com/collections/studio
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The knobs are also Hickory Hardware, although from the Bridges collection. https://hickoryhardware.com/collections/bridges
  • lucky998877
    5 years ago

Quality knobs will have a sharp point on the back side that keeps them from moving after installation. They won't spin out of square.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Agreed with ninigret about the smaller pulls

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

lucky, my very pricey ones lasted square about a year. since them i'm constantly adjusting, no matter how carefully i open them.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm leaning toward the larger pulls on the uppers because the knobs look a little lost on the large upper doors. But what do I put on these smaller lower doors? Knobs or large pulls? Here is a photo showing both for comparison and the doors under my sink.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Plus I'm worried the square knobs will eventually turn.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Maybe once I had all the knobs on the uppers, the overall look would be more substantial and they wouldn't look so small. Ugh! I'm torn between the two!
  • leelee
    5 years ago

I have all square knobs and rarely do I need to adjust one. I prefer a simpler look. They will not become dated as quickly.

Some of the pulls are so over-sized they look like refrigerator handles.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Leelee, thank you. I think that's my hesitation about using them on the uppers.
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Maybe you shouldn't use the knobs that "match" the pulls? Find a knob you love, in the size you want, that still matches the finish of the pulls you are using. And use that? Sometimes its nice to have things be close, but not matchy.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pink_Peony, your kichen looks lovely! I think my knobs appear smaller yet because my stiles are larger. But I do like the look of the knobs. I think the larger pulls might be too heavy looking on the uppers. As someone else pointed out, they almost look like appliance pulls. Makes me think I should have used a size smaller on my drawers!
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chocolatesnap, I still have the round satin nickel knobs that were on the cabinets originally, but not sure I should pair square with round. Here is what that would look like.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Different view from farther away
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, I can't wait to have these floors and grout cleaned after the reno.
  • Kathryn P
    5 years ago

I like the larger pulls on your wall cabs, with knobs on the stacked doors, paired with knobs on the lower doors. I think having a mix in both areas actually brings some continuity.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

I admit complete bias here as I am just not a fan of knobs in most situations. Just my own quirk and personal preference.

That all said, I vote for pulls on upper cabinets - knobs on the stacked ones though due to size and they are mostly decorative anyway.

Your kitchen is going to look great, no matter which you choose!

• highdesertowl
    5 years ago

I like the round knobs with the square pulls, but again--I tend to try to break up matchiness. You should go with what you like.

That being said, why not drill the single hole and put your old knobs in for now? Then install your stacked cabinets and their knobs--then if you don't like it, you can drill another hole to switch in the pull of your choice. You can easily go from knob to pull--you can't go from pull to knob without leaving a mark :) A template makes it very easy to drill those second holes if your contractor is already gone.

I installed all of my cabinet hardware with a template, a cheap drill, and zero experience. Just google, youtube, and desperation to get it done.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chocolatesnap, the single holes are already drilled because we used to have knobs. But I like the idea of trying the knobs first, especially since I already bought them. My cabinet guy can always drill another hole for pulls if we don't like the knobs. Good suggestion. Thank you.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

ah i hadnt guessed all the holes were already there from before.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

I don’t think the other pulls on your bottom cabinets are too large. However i understand your hesitancy. When my builder drilled out my knobs and it was incorrect i went over and put the pull on the upper i wanted and it seemed HUGE. Mine are 7”. Perfect for the lower but just seemed way to large in a vertical position. Can you get the next size down for the uppers?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The next size down is this one at 4.75" end to end. I hadn't thought to try this one, but I kind of like it. What do you think?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Looking at the picture just now, I think I prefer the knob over this smaller pull.
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

I love the pulls! Go with pulls throughout.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Carolina, which size pull do you recommend for the uppers?
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Okay not to burst your bubble but I think one issue is that the placement is too low. I like the smaller pulls. But generally hardware placement is never in the lower corner of a cabinet. It should be higher up. Correct placement is right above rail and at the lower edge of stile. This might be why you are struggling.

New Home · More Info

Ramshaw · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My rails are especially wide; wider than the stiles. Here it is above the rail. I'm by myself so I can't stand back to take the picture.
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

I'd probably go with a length that was about three quarters size of the pulls on the base cabinets and something half-size for the cabinets around the top. As I age, pulls are easier for my hands than knobs are, that's another reason I like them.

BTW, the installers tats are great, you gotta love that level of commitment!

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

The knobs are better in that placement. It makes them look larger.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Taped on in this photo. Does that placement look better?
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

better but still too small i think.

i went nuts with knobs... one was too small, one too big... i ended up getting oval, it sort of split the difference and reminded me of the little latches on inset cabinets.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

On these cabinets they were able to place the hardware a bit lower because the corners were mitered. however the lowest placement still remains on the stile. The width of your stile and rail isn’t that wide and really shouldn’t forfeit correct placement. Have you considered keeping the pulls horizontal on the center of bottom rail?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My stiles go all the to the top and bottom. Rails join the stiles in the middle. At least that's what it looks like from behind snd under the paint. There are no corner joints.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ninigret, I think they still look kind of small in the higher position, too.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Carolina, so you would have done these smaller 6.5" pulls on the drawers?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The half size is the one I posted on the door earlier this morning.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pink, I don't like the horizontal position of pulls. I just reached out to my cabinet guy to see how hard it would be to fill and repaint the 7 finished upper doors so that he can drill the holes in the right place. If I decide on pulls, I might just leave the holes where they are.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I mean, I don't like horizontal pulls on cabinet doors.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Looking at the knobs from afar, I believe I've made up my mind to go with knobs. I think my pulls are too substantial and would overpower the room with too much metal for my taste. My DH will be so relieved that I've made a decision. LOL
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

I think that will look great--I like that you are keeping the visual weight on the lower cabinetry.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you, Chocolatesnap. You are always so helpful.
  • Susan Davis
    5 years ago

I so agree with Pink peony that the knobs are too low....try checking out knobs on kitchen cabinets on Houzz to get an idea for placement; it is eye opening!

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Susan, I agree. Thank you.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

I like to draw a line from the end of the cabinet up to the end of the Shaker trim. Then place the knob exactly in the middle of the space.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

This is a great topic. I had trouble voting. I myself ordered all pulls for my cabinets. I like the pull look. But I have been watching Pink's kitchen unfold and I love the look she has created.

I can't wait to see what you decide. Meanwhile here is a Houzz link that talks about hardware placement.

[Where to place hardware[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/where-to-place-your-kitchen-cabinetry-hardware-stsetivw-vs~75904843)