Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claymason

Al's 5:1:1 Mix problem. Nitrogen?

claymason
5 years ago

Recently got into container gardening now that I have some space for it and decided to give Al's 5:1:1 a go. Mixed 5 parts pine bark fines (home depot Earthgro mulch), 1 part perlite, 1 part peat, and 1 TBSP lime per gallon of of mix. Was rushed so I admit I didn't let the mix sit for weeks to give the lime time to do its thing. But also read of people not having problems with doing that.

I didn't add any slow release fert, instead opting for FP 9-3-6 @ 1/2 TBSP per gallon when watering. I'm in Santa Monica, CA (zone 10b), so watering is daily or every other.

Everything started pretty well, and a lot of the smaller herbs are happy, but most of the larger plants are having extremely bad yellowing problems. My bush beans went fluorescent which prompted me to put them in ground before they were completely toast:

My pepper plants did the same thing and I put them in ground and they fully recovered:

Tomato example. The one on the right in regular potting soil, left in the the 5:1:1

Larger plants curling and dropping bottom leaves:

Cucumbers yellowing:

While herbs seem to be totally fine:

Trying to remedy this before I end up just swapping everything into a compost/topsoil mix, which I really don't want to do. Help.

Comments (6)