Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kercove

Continuous Hand Rail

kercove
5 years ago

We have decided to vault our living room ceiling when we finish off our attic space. I have come across a number of photos of how I want the stairway to look from the first floor living room, but am struggling to find any examples of how it would end at the second floor.

This is what I have in mind:

Point Grey House renovation by Ronse Massey · More Info

Obviously the ceiling would hit the stairway at an angle, and this is the general idea I have drawn up:

Does anyone have a photo or drawing that shows how the railing would end? I'd rather not have it die into the vaulted ceiling and need to add a full handrail on the other side. But the only examples I have found have an open hallway where the balusters continue at the top.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

What you want, (and don't want) is something like this:

How you want the above executed is with an S fitting like this:

kercove thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Ask your architect.

• kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, palimpsest. I can find pictures of the fitting, but not how it would end at the wall at the top of the stairs.

Mark, I have parted ways with my architect, and am trying to finalize some of these details with my contractor, hence my search for photos of how to achieve a good result.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

It can end like it does on the bottom with spindles all the way up, or if it continues on wall brackets, turn and die into the wall .

• kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So put a matching newel post at the top, then have that return into the side wall? I actually would prefer to have it straight...perhaps like this photo, so I don't have the S-fitting? Would that be strange to end it into a wall at the top rather than a continuous railing?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Contact your stair builder and follow his recommendations, please. There are lots of code requirements that overrule style here, and he's familiar with them all. Unlike your architect, if he gets a red tag, he won't be paid.

kercove thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

Certainly here they are very critical about handrails, they must be continuous and be properly terminated. They do not permit breaks in the run such as where there is a wall partway down, some type of "S" type fitting must be used to make the jog.

kercove thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am not trying to break the handrail, and I'm in daily discussions with my contractor/stair builder. I'm just looking for any photos that might show how a railing like the above picture (the photo with the beach bag) would terminate at the top of the stairs. It doesn't appear very common to build it the way I'm imagining, but was hoping someone might have some insight! He will obviously weigh in on any code compliance, but he was hoping that I could show him an example.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Along with Joseph's advice, have the stair builder and the builder coordinate their efforts.

kercove thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The stair builder and the builder are one and the same :) I'm sure he will come up with something that works, I just like to provide as much detail as I can. Thanks, all!

• kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, cpartist! Your stairs are gorgeous!! I definitely can see the benefit of avoiding the S-fitting, but if you look at my drawing of my stairs, it's so few steps past the vaulted plane of the ceiling that it seems like a lot to add one on the other side. That's why I'm wondering if it's possible (and would look okay) to offset the right wall of the stairs enough to have the handrail bypass it going straight up to the second floor, and then have a 90-degree turn at the top to die into the right wall. Does that make sense?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Ok I was looking at an old house for sale and found these pics. Do they help?

kercove thanked cpartist
  • kercove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, cpartist! I think something like that could work, with the post on the landing being replaced by the hallway wall. And the balusters going up to the right representing the plaster wall following the vaulted ceiling. Thanks again!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

The way cpartsit addressed this is ideal. It avoids the "S" jog and also places handrails on both sides of the staircase. Whether you are right handed or left handed or going up or down there is always a handrail that suits you best.

kercove thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Matching newell post, bottom and top (and at any intermediate landing)...

kercove thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art