Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Where do you think I should hang hand- towel ring?

mjammjam
5 years ago
Ok. Now I have another question. Where should I put the hand-towel ring? To the left of vanity or next to the mirror and sconces on the right? Either way I’m covering the light switches. Does putting it on the long wall take away from mirror and sconces?
Thanks again!

Comments (27)

• Barbara
    5 years ago

What a pretty vanity! Another option might be to use a freestanding towel holder instead of one mounted on the wall. If you used one, I would place in in the left corner. The stands are relatively inexpensive and would give you some flexibility until you decide. Sometime you have to use the room to see what best fits your needs. A towel ring can be added easily after the bathroom is finished unless you are planning to tile the whole wall.

• Barbara
    5 years ago

Hanging the towel ring after installing the mirror and wall scones also will help you to determine whether you are placing it correctly (for example, too close to the wall scones or mirror). Just from your picture, it appears that you may be holding the ring too high. Before hanging, place a towel on it to adjust the ring. A fingertip towel and a handtowel are different lengths and might impact where you hang it.

• cjohnston
    5 years ago
    You should probably wait until your remodel is finished to decide. install a bar on the side of the vanity.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for your help.
    As far as the free standing one — my kids (who are not so young) knock them over all the time. This vanity has a marble top so I don’t want anyone tipping over the towel bar.

I didn’t think of putting a bar on side of vanity. I was putting garbage pail there.

I guess I’ll wait till they hang the mirror.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks LeeLee
    I bought the ring because it’s the matching set for the faucets etc
  • Kathryn P
    5 years ago

What are the different switches for? I'd think through when you'd use the switches and which is the one that won't be super impacted by being covered.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kathryn
    The bathroom has 2 entrances. The one with the extra wall space opens into a bedroom and the other one is the main entrance hallway on first floor. So do you think the towel bar should cover those switches that lead to bedroom instead? I don’t know if it would ruin the look of the wall with mirror and sconces. I could think about using side of vanity but I don’t think people would see it.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

sometimes a towel set on the vanity causes the least woes.

towel rings have to be high... as the towel hangs a fair amount below it... but you dont want the towel to be TOO high, as then the water drips down your wrists when you reach UP to the towel. so, lower is better.

if you pivot to a bar behind you, you drip all the way.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

I would not hang a round towel holder for a hand towel. Hand towels, for me, serve no purpose because they are too small which limits how many times they can be used without getting gross. Instead I always hang a regular towel bar on a blank wall and then hang several towels on that, like 4 towels (one of top of each other so that you have 2 sections of towels hanging next to each other) and possible a hand towel over each section. It bulks up the towels so they look nicer and it gives guests more dry area options to actually use them.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks again guys!

I don’t have another wall for a large towel bar. Even when I did in my old house, I used it for show towels. (My age is showing). Maybe I’ll just leave one on the sink —
    However, I’m sure that’ll turn into a crumpled ball in the corner
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Is this an ensuite, a main or a powder room ?

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patricia.

This is a full guest bathroom - it is on first floor and adjoins a guest bedroom.
  • Kathryn P
    5 years ago

I'd hang it on the wall with the bedroom door. I'd think the hall door would get the most traffic and having an easily accessible switch at that location would be the most important. Maybe switch to a hook instead of the large ring if you're concerned about it taking up too much visual space.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'd do the opposite to Kathryn! I like being able to dry my hands as I walk out the door without doing an awkward "where's the towel where's the light switch where's the door" backtracking dance. So I would put the towel where it will be in the most traveled route from sink to door!

I do agree that a towel bar is a better choice than a ring. Any polished nickle or stainless steel bar will look great, it doesn't have to match the faucet exactly. That way you can hang the towel closer to the mirror too, and leave the switches free.

• Kathryn P
    5 years ago

Ha, so basically back to square one. Leave it on the counter for now and maybe see where the towel naturally ends up (to the right or left of the sink). Then hang it there.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Many bars will match your faucet.

Kelston by Kohler

mjammjam thanked leelee
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, LeeLee .

I'll need to find something like that in 12" the most.

• leelee
    5 years ago

The one I posted is 18". Your vanity is most likely 24". Would that work?

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ohhh -- I thought you said to put a bar-type holder over the switches on the left.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Before you hang it, drape a towel over it so you can see how far down it hangs. Don't hang it so the towel covers the switches or the outlets.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Carolina,

I won’t — I’ll position it so the towel hangs between socket and switches.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would do a hook it is simple to mount simple to use and can go anywhere you like

• Kate
    5 years ago
    Beatiful tile work.
  • hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    Can you install motion sensor lighting so you don't need all the switches on the left.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

mjamm, yes, put the towel bar on the left wall. You would want to center it with the cabinet depth which I assume is 24"? Also, there will be some sort of facing around the doorway to consider.

• Kim
    5 years ago

We have towel bars (not ring) mounted on the side of our vanities. It works perfectly as we don't have to reach UP to dry our hands. I don't care for towel rings as they don't allow towels to dry as quickly as a bar does.