Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa8492498

Concrete crack - should we be concerned

Melissa L
5 years ago

Two year old home. Masonry on chimney has been de-bonding and falling off (4 total). Recently 2 more stones de-bonded but on the side of our house. It looks like the stone veneer (which they said was dry-stacked but it the worst dry-stacking job I've ever seen) on the side of the house is leaning. There is a crack that formed in the concrete wall in the garage. Where the 2 stones fell off, I see the crack has extended to show in the exterior. Not sure if the crack did it or if it was coincidence where the stones happened to fall off since it looks like a lot of stone will eventually fall off.

Is this something we need to be concerned about?

Same crack as above picture extends to the exterior (you can see underneath the stone but obviously not behind the stone.

Comments (9)

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Do you have a basement or slab?

• Melissa L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's a ranch home with walk-out and pretty much finished off except for the mechanical room. There are 2 cracks in the floor but I haven't seen any on the poured walls. The builder though poured an excessive amount of concrete for some reason on the floor, the concrete is level in some areas with the top of the bottom framing so that it's slightly "underground" vs. sitting on top of the concrete floor.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I would have an engineer look at it. I believe you also posted about sinking ground. Stone should not fall off a house that is only 2 years old. Could the house possibly be built on filled ground?

• Melissa L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, ground is sinking, 11 windows are leaking, stone is falling off, hollow sounds under tile and wood floors, drywall pops everywhere, you name it!

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"Yes, ground is sinking, 11 windows are leaking, stone is falling off, hollow sounds under tile and wood floors, drywall pops everywhere, you name it!"

And you are wondering if you should be concerned? Be concerned and get a structural engineer ASAP!!

• Joe P
    5 years ago

Definitely get a reputable engineer ASAP. Are you still under builder's warranty also? I'm guessing not but look into it just in case.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Its been a while since you first posted on problems with this house. You were told them to get an expert to look at it. It sounds like you havent done that. This house sounds like it has major problems, and I would be afraid for my life and the lives of my family. Get some one in there to check it out, before the whole place tumbles down on top of you. Internet is no subsitute for the live engineer that you would have to look at it, and can tell you if it is safe to live in, or if you should be moving out now.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

It may be possible to mud-jack under the foundation or use other techniques to shore up the house, but the longer you wait, the more cracks will develop in the slab, and the harder it will be to get it straight again.

Is this builder local and still around? Because if they do this kind of work, other people need to know about it, including the local building permit office. If nothing else they need to give this builder a lot more scrutiny, if in fact they don't lose their licensing or whatever.