Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleenwilson1

Opening up the kitchen to family room in our 1929 cottage...

wilsonpark2
5 years ago
After living in our wonderful and quirky 1929 cottage for five years, we have decided that we’d like a larger opening between our kitchen and family room.

The family room was the attached single car garage when the home was built and was converted into a family room (or den) in the early 30’s. It is three steps below the rest of the ground floor. While there are no appliances or plumbing on the wall between kitchen and family room, there are some built in shelves and coat rack we’d like to retain since storage is scarce in this house.

We are wondering what type of opening would work given the split level scenario and would be period appropriate. Maybe an archway that mimics the original dining room arch? A wide cased opening? And for safety, we are thinking a railing height pony wall between the two levels. Any input and photos from people who have successfully made this modification to a period home would be appreciated. We don’t want to muck up a lovely home. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• acm
    5 years ago

I like the idea of an arched doorway, but really, I don't see how you can do this. You can't open it more to the right without losing counter space/cabinetry. And if you open it more to the left, the extra width will fall in the middle of a staircase! Unless you're planning on completely reworking the connection between the two levels (like changing the orientation of the steps), this seems like a poor idea.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    1. i love your house. 2. i love your house. 3. if you open the doorway more towards the stairs, is there room to move the stairs over as well? 4. a pony wall will close things up more... the opposite direction you want to go. i'd do an open railing with square balusters. 5. i love your house.

Modern in Montvale · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I bet if we did a walk-through of your house, we'd find a lot more beneficial way to do something special than just complicate that already complicated door, landing and stairs.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    First rule of old house ownership is do no harm. That said, the kitchen has already been remodeled and the den is not original. I would be 100% in favor of a new larger cased opening between the two rooms, though I don’t think the arch works with the pine walls, I would just match the current Door height but make it wider. A Drywall knee wall or pass through screams remodel. I would prefer a wrought iron railing duplicating the existing in that spot.
  • wilsonpark2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    First, thank you for your kind words This is a very sweet old house and our goal is to do nothing to mess it up, for sure. We did a careful kitchen remodel before we moved in, mostly leveling the floor and ceiling and undoing some odd things that had been done over the years. We would be very careful with this as well and so I wanted to mine the depths of experience in the Houzz community.

Our first grandchild, who will be two in July, has made us appreciate that being unable to see into the family room is more than a minor inconvenience. I believe that a thoughtful approach could produce a room that looks like it has always been more open.

Taking the photo a little further to the right shows that the stairs are not an issue. The landing would not be affected. As you can see, a previous owner tried to make more of a connection between the rooms by adding a funny internal window. We don’t find it helpful, just odd. Other than the contractor needing to go under the kitchen floor to look for the proper footings and adding them if needed, I don’t think there would be a structural problem.
  • wilsonpark2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmm...I was thinking that a half wall or maybe just a wider doorway would feel less split-level 70’s vibe than an open railing would. I’ve seen photos of half cabinets and a post between dining rooms and kitchens as well as in entry ways in this era of homes. That’s kind of what I was envisioning. I’ll try to find some photos...
  • wilsonpark2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are totally averse to remuddling
  • wilsonpark2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is what I mean by pony wall - different setting but similar home era
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I don't have a good enough sense of the layout to offer suggestions, but golly, that's got to be one of the nicest garage conversions ever, isn't it?

• wilsonpark2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fori - that old, ambered paneling is sweet! It is a good garage remodel