Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simmtalker

SW Dover White Walls and ......????

simmtalker
5 years ago

I apologize for another paint thread, but I have searched the Houzz forum and cannot find an answer, since Dover White seems to be used as trim more often than walls.

New construction, walls will be SW Dover White (6385) satin, and I want a white trim in semi-gloss. I am concerned about picking the right white, because I don't want the Dover to look "dirty." I think I want a nice, bright white to show the difference between the whites. Would Extra White (7006 ) work for the trim?? Other SW suggestions??

For the ceiling, would it be okay to use Dover White for those, too?? Or should they be a brighter white?? May it be the satin finish, or go for flat?? I know ceilings should be flat, but I get 4 or 5 paints total for the whole house, so I am trying to be strategic.

Will satin be okay for bathroom?? Or should I use a semi gloss for baths??

Thank you for any advice offered!!!

Comments (15)

• homechef59
    5 years ago

I am going to assume that this is a custom build and you can select whatever you want when it comes to paint. If you are going for a warmer look as opposed to the now fashionable but fading grey look, I would suggest either SW Dover White or SW Creamy.

In a previous home, I used SW Dover White for trim and cabinetry with SW Napery for the walls. That created a contrast that was warm but neutral. In my most recent home, I did exactly what you were considering. But, I used SW Creamy instead of SW Dover White. The previous owner had already used Creamy in a few areas. SW Dover White and SW Creamy are very similar.

I selected semi-gloss for the trim and satin for the walls. I like a little bit of sheen and I want to be able to wash the wall if necessary. For your ceiling, I would consider the satin for the ceiling, too.

This use of the same color but different gloss values is often used in older homes where the trim and walls are irregular. It provides a very subtle difference to the eye because of the sheen changes without highlighting the irregularities in the wall.

Here is Dover White with Napery in my former kitchen:

Here is SW Creamy in walls and trim:

The ceiling in this room has been painted a very pale blue. It was a custom blend that the previous owner used. I just had it copied because I liked it.

Here is a link to a thread that I participated in that goes into great detail about various warm whites. You may find it helpful. It's a long thread.

Yikes! Now, it's time to update help me please get rid of the gold

• simmtalker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

homechef -- Thank you very much for the post!!! Yes, it is a custom build and I have my choice 4 or 5 of any of the SW colors for everything, so I need any one color/finish to do a lot of work :) Other person in the house wants a different color in bedroom, so that keeps me to 3 or 4 colors/finishes.

Seems as though most people say Dover White looks white, unless it is placed next to "true" white, then it is on the creamy/yellow side (to me, it looks very creamy/yellow). So many of the other SW whites aren't super bright when compared to Dover, and I'm afraid the low contrast between walls/trim won't look great. So, after tons of looking, what do you think about....

Walls: SW Dover White satin

Trim: SW High Reflective White semi-gloss

The linked thread is great -- thanks again for the help!!

• homechef59
    5 years ago

My opinion only, I would just go with the SW Dover White on both walls and trim. You can over think these things. You will see that's what happened on the thread I linked in the previous thread. I don't really like the bright white. I think It's too stark. But, that's a personal decision.

Get some sample paint in each color and gloss. Put it on the wall. Do the same with the trim. Light will affect the color. So, look at it at different times of the day. Don't rely on the store sample. If you don't want to get a small can of paint, you can order large poster board sized samples to mount on the wall. Keep the possibilities you are considering to three. Anymore, your decision making will be greatly complicated. Start with the question warm or cool?

Just remember that LED lighting will play havoc with your results. Be very conscious of the warmth or coolness of the lightbulbs.

• simmtalker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really like the amount of contrast with your Napery/Dover White combo. Both colors look sharp and clean. So, with that in mind, I hit the deck of swatches from my GC, and **think** (subject to changing my mind again LOL!!!) I am going to go with SW Morning Sun #6672 for walls, which is just a little touch lighter than the Napery.

I was going to use Pure White for the trim/ceiling, but it looks awfully gray....so, still thinking about the trim color (yes, I do tend to overthink most stuff LOL!!!).

Thank you homechef!!!!

• nanj
    5 years ago

We are also going through the paint color decision phase. We want creamy walls so studied the Sherwin Williams colors for a ridiculous amount of time. We thought we had found the perfect warm creamy color in Vanillin. I painted a poster board and moved it all around the house we are renting to see in different lights. It was not until I took it to show my sister and put it against her light creamy walls that Vanillin turned to a sunny yellow - pretty but not what we want at all.

So back to SW where we chose Crisp Linen. Putting a painted board of Crisp Linen against the Vanillin board confirmed that Vanillin was way too yellow for us. (We also picked up the cabinet samples and went back to the tile store and the slab yard to see how Crisp Linen did with those elements.)

Our last step was to paint 2x3 foot areas in various places in the new house. We feel as confident as you can when you have nothing but dry wall and daylight to evaluate against!

Moral of the story - paint is very tricky! Put your paint samples against a white background. That helped us see if colors go muddy.

We are using Westhighland White for our trim. It does not go gray like Alabaster does. But with Dover White you do want to go with a whiter trim. Compare Dover White to several other trim choices, one at a time. After studying them and going back and forth, you should be able to pick up on how they interact.

Remember if your ceilings are not white, you may not want to use white ceiling fans (if you will have ceiling fans). My sister used a very pale version of her wall color on the ceiling to make the trim pop so could not use white ceiling fans.

Our painter almost 'requires' (highly, highly recommends was the exact term) that if a customer chooses satin/eggshell finish for the walls, then the walls have to have a Level 5 drywall finish. (That is a very pricey upgrade. Our GC uses a company that does both drywall and paint to avoid the finger pointing that goes on when clients are unhappy with blemishes on walls.) We did not want to pay extra for satin/eggshell so we are going with SW Duration Matte.

I would check with your contractor about using anything but true flat on ceilings. My guess is he will only use flat.

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have SW Dover White with High Reflective White trim throughout most of my house. I like the combo, it's subtle but warm. Very light and airy. Not dirty looking at all. Eggshell finish on the walls and satin on the trim. My ceiling is also the same as the walls, both in color and sheen.

• nbuechlei01
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We painted our walls Dover White eggshell and the trim Extra White semi-gloss and we couldn't be happier. It's a warm white and the trim pops. It's gorgeous! (I felt so proud when I saw how nice it turned out) I agree with the other poster that it does not look dingy or dirty at all. We used Sherwin Williams basic Ceiling Bright White for the ceilings and we love it.

• mark1993
    5 years ago

Reese- your puppy is adorable!

• lyfia
    5 years ago

We had Dover White (satin) in our master suite, spare bedrooms, hallway, and bath when we first built with SW Alabaster trim (semi-gloss) and SW Ceiling White (matte). We have since painted all, but one of those rooms and it is currently storing friends stuff while they rebuild after a flood so I can't share pictures. However it looked nice and soft in some areas of the house and too bright white in others on the walls. Depends very much on the light. The master suite (bath and bedroom) was too bright and we painted a dark color. However the combination of the three worked really well together.

• drbevdc
    5 years ago
    Don’t mind me. When Lori talks color science, I must follow. :)
  • murrayml
    7 months ago

do you have a photo of dover white trim (semi gloss) with a dover white satin on the walls ??

Also, any thoghts of Dover white trim with SW Aged White on the walls ? Will it still give some contrast, but also keep the walls a light color ?? Is Aged White in the same family of warm/yellow undertone as Dover White ??

My parents are moving into Sr Living aparement and the facility will only allow SW Dover White as the trim. The apartment will be on bottom floor, so not as much natural light and I want to keep the walls a very very light color to help the apartment feel bright and airy....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 months ago

The colors have probably changed in five years (soiled, faded) and photos and computer screens will not accurately represent the true color anyway.

• Michele Murray
    7 months ago

Thank you. if we were to paint the walls (satin Dover white and the trik Dover white (gloss), does havof the sale color in both help make room appear bigger ?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 months ago

Can you reword that?