Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjhop84

Regrets, I've had a few...

tj edward
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I somehow ended up settling for biscuit subway tile for my backsplash after not being able to find a tile that I liked and that matched. My cabinets are a soft dark brown stain (Diamomd Thatch on Maple) and my Quartz is Aria. I really don't like the bisque and brown look, so I'm hopimg to make the tile look creamy white. Which paint color should I use to make the tile look less yellow? I have changed light bulbs, and it did help a bit. I wanted SW accessible beige but it clashes! I would also like a color that goes well with smokey blues. Please help! Here is a horrible pic. (Ignore that the counter hangs over an inch too much. I try to every day!) Thanks!

Comments (36)

• K R
    5 years ago
    I’m thinking white. The blue gray is definitely not working.
  • tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The current color is just primed drywall. :)

• nuthinontv
    5 years ago

The white wall is only accentuating your issue of the yellow vs cream. The tile appears to be a very good match based on the shot uploaded. How about a pale mocha? It will look good with the blue you want. The trick will be finding a tint with very slight undertones of blue (I know it sounds bad) but it will neutralize the yellow cast a bit. The blue you want will also help to change it’s appearance.

https://www.quora.com/What-colors-are-complementary-to-beige

you can also get an app like Color Tester to try out tones on your own room

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A pale mocha with slight undertone of blue? Hmmm! I haven't tried anything in that direction yet! Thanks!

• Michele Panning
    5 years ago

If you wanted Accesible beige check out Balanced Beige. Also SW.

tj edward thanked Michele Panning
  • tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does anyone know what paint color this might be:.

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And artistsharonova what color did you use to paint that pic? Thanks!!

• PRO
    KRE Group LLC
    5 years ago

I found a color palette that goes with your existing space, and made a few suggestions. Good Luck!

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow! Thank you!! How do I know what colors these are?

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

There's no paint name I have.

It's a color I selected off the countertop off my computer screen.

Show these photos to a paint shop, get 3 sample jars, paint on wall.

See in daytime & night time then choose favorite.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Don't use a color with any blue in it if you want to minimize the yellow. Due to simultaneous contrast, the blue will serve to intensify the yellow, as explained here:

http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/contrast.html

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Try BM Revere Pewter or BM AF 100 Pashmina?

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I think that your backsplash, countertops, and cabinets look great together!

• PRO
    KRE Group LLC
    5 years ago

@tjedward if you have a printer you can take this color palette to any sherwin williams or lowes and they can match any color you would like. If not take a picture with your phone. Let me know if you need more help & I can give you that exact color name & # .

tj edward thanked KRE Group LLC
  • tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok! I will try that! Thanks for all your help!! And I am noticing that colors on one wall will match great, but when I move the swatch to the other side the same swatch clashes with my counters/tile. Is it possible that I'm not going to find a color that matches both sides? Could shadow/light make that much of a difference?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Yes, yes, and yes. All colors are a reflection of light and will change depending on how the light hits it. Color is also dependent on the colors around it. See my comment above regarding simultaneous contrast.

tj edward thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I got out of the greige and went with more tans. Does calico cream look ok?

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    Looks good to me
    tj edward thanked baileysr
  • sarahlps
    5 years ago
    i think that looks great!
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Where the counter hangs over beyond the cabinet, you could add a vertical trim board from the countertop, cutting the it to fit along the left side of the cabinet all the way to the ceiling or at least to the top of the cabinet. Paint it the same color as the wall.

Depending upon what appliance (refrigerator?) is going to set left of the countertop/cabinet, you could hang a small decorative hook on it for a "hidden" key (or anything else you might hang in the kitchen -- reading glasses or magnifying glass for reading ingredients, a ring or watch you don't want to wear while cooking, etc.) … or not.

tj edward thanked suezbell
  • sarahlps
    5 years ago
    I actually like that the counter has a small overhang. To my eye it gives the lower part of the ensemble some visual weight.
    tj edward thanked sarahlps
  • sarahlps
    5 years ago
    Doesnt it need to be this way for it to overhang your lower cabs - which should be lined up vertically with the upper cabs?
    tj edward thanked sarahlps
  • Melissa R
    5 years ago

here is SW Popular Gray

• Melissa R
    5 years ago

Worldly Gray SW

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice about the counter over hang. It definitely was a mistake by counter installer. It hangs over more than inch than anywhere else. I was too afraid to have them lift it up since the other side is attached to wall of cabinet.

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thinking of putting faux door panel....but we don't have one at top and don't have room with the soffit.

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Melissa R, thanks for the paint suggestions! I actually had a worldly gray sample made up....but the grey clashes with the cream backsplash when the natural light shines thru during the day. I even found accessible beige too gray in my lighting. :(

• tj edward
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is Wordly gray. It makes the backsplash look yellow (all though not so much in this pic)...even more so at different times of the day. :(. I loved it next to my cabinets though. Do you think it clashes in this pic? Maybe I'm wrong!

• Melissa R
    5 years ago

well so much for SW color visualizer lol your Worldly Gray looks much different than online. Try Popular Gray. I'm such a broken record with that color but I really think it's a perfect greige

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    5 years ago

I like the first color the best (calico cream?), I think out of all the colors is gives your tile a creamier undertone vs yellow.

tj edward thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Calico Cream is a winner! Imho.

• shelayne
    5 years ago
    Another for Calico Cream. :)
  • Elizabeth M
    5 years ago

Calico cream too!

• sarahlps
    5 years ago
    a panel or faux door at the end of the lower cab is a great idea! It would probably make you feel a lot better about the overhang!