Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_fugate

How to fill empty walls/space in bedroom

Michelle Fugate
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have two big blank walls/corners and an empty floor area that I really need to fill, but based on the layout of my room, I’m not sure how! I can’t move my bed due to the placement of my mounted tv but I can move the little furniture I do have and want advice on what else to add to make the room feel more full.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hQA78fx

Comments (15)

• nuthinontv
    5 years ago

When you type your message the photo icon should appear below your text. Unless you are using a phone? In which case I haven’t a clue!

• User
    5 years ago

It would be helpful to see a shot of the whole room better so we can see the walls. I save the photos to my computer, use the Photo icon at the bottom of the box here and upload them. I think some people load them to their Houzz idea books/profile and load from there.

ETA - I just realized it was a video. You're going to get more replies and better help if you post the info. and photos here.

Is the bed centered? If not I would center it on that wall? Do you need two night stands? I'd put one on the left side (left if you're looking at the bed). Make sure it's the height of the mattress. I think a little taller is visually fine too. Then add a lamp and be careful it's not too short or small in scale. Think larger. If you need two nightstands they don't need to match. I prefer they don't. Will that tall corner stand fit to the right side of the bed if you eliminated that night stand? The cubbie shelf think on the long wall, I'd consider eliminating that and getting a larger dresser for that wall and using your art above it. I honestly think it's too short and small for that wall. If you could take a photo of that whole wall, that might be helpful. I know you did the video but a full on shot would be helpful. I would use a piece of art above the bed. You could keep the shelf if you wanted. You could have the art appear like it's leaning on the shelf (I'd still probably attach to the wall). If you're not using a stand on both sides I'm not sure I would add art above the nightstand (I suggested) on the left. I'd have to see what it looked like if the stand was in the other corner, it might balance out well or maybe not.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

People don’t like to click on external links to view photos or videos. At the bottom of the box where you post a comment, there is a photo icon. Click on it and upload your photo from your device so we can see it here.

• nuthinontv
    5 years ago

I checked it out. I’m not sure adding “more” stuff in compact space is needed here. I would like to see a generous mirror (even huge, leaning against the wall where the dinky corner cabinet is) that will bring light into the space and make it feel larger, and chic. The rental looking carpet is really depressing so consider adding a 5x7 rug in front of your new mirror beside the bed in a style and color you like. You can get tape especially made to adhere to carpet to hold it in place if necessary.

Calabasas Remodel · More Info

Transitional Bedroom · More Info

• Michelle Fugate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sheeisback like i mentioned in my post, I can't really move the bed because then it won't be in view of my mounted tv, which I can't move :( and I'm not moving the shelf either. I'm in a rental and it was a lot of work to put up so I want to minimize work and holes. but thank you! Your point about the bedside tables is great because I was actually curious if I should have two or not. Two is pretty expensive, especially matching! So its good to know they don't have to match and I could even survive with just one

• Michelle Fugate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@nuthinontv it is actually a very large space, at least by my standards! my apt doesn't have dimensions listed but there is a lot of space. The corner cabinet is a foot taller than me and having a mirror over there would still leave a lot of space actually. I do LOVE the idea of a mirror though. my mother has a large statement mirror in her house and it looks amazing

• nuthinontv
    5 years ago

Yes, you need a statement mirror Michelle! Go forth and find it now!

• Michelle Fugate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the kind of style I'm into!

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

The heading on those styles says "apartment/college dorm" so I think you've achieved your look already. Don't worry about "filling" the walls. Two of them are already filled. Let the eye rest somewhere. You don't want to make any more holes anyway, do you?

• Michelle Fugate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol it was Pinterest’s suggestion. I’m not in college or a dorm but thanks. The screenshot was to show the color schemes I like. Just renting- not everyone can afford a house and expensive interior decor. Didn’t realize people were elitist on here, should’ve done more research. I don’t mind making holes but don’t really want several more huge ones along the lines of a tv mount, floating shelf, etc. I have two massive blank walls and blank floor space that could fit a chair, bench, maybe rearrange some shelves... just wasn’t sure where. Truly did not expect so many rude comments here!

• Molly
    5 years ago
    I’d take out that little corner shelf and add a chair along with a nightstand/table (or 2) as high as your mattress along with a lamp. I’d also replace the bookcase under the tv with something higher. Add some colorful bedding and drapes to soften and brighten the room.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I don’t understand that white shelf over the head board. It messed up your room so take it down and find some art or fabric you like and stretch it over a large frame for some fun in your room. Some fabric like this pillow would bring some joy. Try moving that bookcase over to beside bed to use as a bit of a night stand. Then move corner ladder piece to corner left of TV. Move dressing mirror to other side of room. Get a lumbar pillow with more color to go with art you create. Let the art cover any holes you have in walls. A small chair would be nice too. Put a ball lamp on bookshelf. I will post some pictures to give you some additional inspiration.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Played with a few mock ups for you.
    Michelle Fugate thanked Flo Mangan
  • Michelle Fugate
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW I love this!!! Thank you so much! I was actually thinking of having the ladder shelf in that area too. Once I got it I realized how much better it would look there. Someone elsewhere gave me feedback on the square shelves being too short and I truly never realized. It is so true. I see you have a desk in the mock up, do you think a dresser may fit well? What color would be best?