Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
6iggy

Suggestions for Front Door Urn Container Planting idea

6iggy
5 years ago
Will be replacing current plant in Front door urn with artificial plant.
would like to create a Container planting creation.
Like it to be formal but still creative and unique.
need some suggestions for the thriller, filler and spiller plants and colours to use.
Be glad of any photos and plant names to use as well.
other colours in gardens currently is only green and cream.

would like to brighten it up thou (looking very dull during winter) but still need to tie in with overall look.

Comments (19)

• Kate Ciesielka
    5 years ago
    how about one large pot on the right instead of both? Just an idea!

I change my pots every summer but I like some sort of tall grass, sweet potato vine and flowers like geraniums or inpatients.
    6iggy thanked Kate Ciesielka
  • 6iggy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou

Hmmmm....Unfortunately we cant afford to purchase more pots as well and so will have to make something work with the two urns and pedestals we already have.

• 6iggy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

In saying that, out of interest what style and size pot would suit..

We are not fans of coloured or glazed pots.

• Nancy Ingram
    5 years ago
    I would move the planters to either side of the window. Google “winter urn plantings” or whichever season is appropriate. This will give you more room to be able to do a fuller planting. I like the idea of using colored branches to get color in the winter time.
    6iggy thanked Nancy Ingram
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

IMO those urns and pedestals and the piece in the front landscaping don’t suit the house at all. To give any advice as to plants we would need to know where you live but your best bet is to go the garden center in your area to get help with plants.Those urns are not going to handle too much in the way of plants IMO you would be better off with a tall black planter on either side of the door filled with seasonal plantings and that includsed stuff in there in the winter . I add cedar boughs and some fairy lights to my planters in the winter .

• Kate Ciesielka
    5 years ago
    Something like this on one side or- a tall narrow bottom wider top cement pot?
    6iggy thanked Kate Ciesielka
  • Denita
    5 years ago

Agree with both Patricia and Kate about the style of planter.

• njay
    5 years ago
    The planters are poorly positioned. It has to be difficult to enter this door without bumping into the flower pots. First step needs to be to find a better location. Perhaps on either side of the stairs? The entry up to the decking isn't that clear and putting them there might help to define the entry. If you do that, however, I wouldn't use the pedestals, I would just use the planters. Good luck.
  • jpp221
    5 years ago
    The house is very “country ranch” in style. These formal Victorian urns just seem at odds with that. I know you said you’re not budgeting to replace them, and I respect that, but I’d stop throwing money into a solution that will always be off. Instead, spend a year saving up on big wooden planters to position on the porch, in regular intervals between the posts.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    The urns are crowding the door. They are also too traditional for the house style when perched on the pillars. Move the urns to the edge of the porch, and plant them with exuberant, colorful plants suited to your zone: one upright form, one trailing form, one more compact and colorful flowering plant.
    I will post a picture from Houzz in a couple of minutes.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

I agree with finding something that's a better fit with your home's style. Would be really nice! Also, Patricia's suggestion to check with a garden center/nursery for plants is good. So much better than artificial.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Sorry...can't figure out how to post photos from Houzz in this spot.
    Look at Houzz "container gardening" or "front porch container gardens" for ideas.
    Suggested upright plants: fern or tall grass
    Flowering plants: impatiens or other fairly compact
    annual or perennial
    Trailing plant: dark or light sweet potato vine, ivy
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Is it at all possible to seperate the urn from the pedestal? That would help a bit.

You could also check around at second hand stores for discarded pots. We've even gotten them free from greenhouses or landscapers. A can of spray paint and they are completely transformed.

• billiesue14
    5 years ago
    I agree with everyone who has said that the urn and pedestal arrangement is not size or style compatible with your house. I also agree that the urns aren't big enough to support much in the way of plants. A temporary solution would be to remove the pedestals. Getting rid of that height would help with the scale. Do some faux aging on the urns to make them stand out less. Then create seasonal arrangements of non-living materials. NOT fake flowers. As someone else suggested, use Google or Pinterest for inspiration.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

The comments so far have been pretty kind in telling you that the urns don't really work with your home. Trying to navigate the obstacle course to your front door is treacherous.

I went back to see your other posts and there are more urns around the house on pedestals and those don't complement the home any better than the ones you are trying to force at the entrance.

You have a very large simple ranch home that you seem to want to 'tart up' to resemble the Palace of Versailles.

Adjustments can be made to embellish instead of just adding decorations.

Here's a pic of your home with a changed fascia board, the porch supports and the garage doors to just see how this affects the appearance of your home. I don't think the off white is doing it any favors.

Even selecting fountains and urns in a dark finish would have provided more contrast and more interest.

Some type of iron structure to receive plants might have been a more welcoming solution for your front entrance.

Or a living wall would have been so spectacular on your brick wall to complement your home's architecture.

Better to embrace what you have and fix some of the color choices to bring the best out in the home.

• billiesue14
    5 years ago
    Beverly, I was definitely trying to be kind. I am accused of being blunt/tactless. I didn't address the rest of the house because she only asked about the urns. However, everything you said is right on the money. I really hope the homeowner takes your advice about changing the trim color. That is a 100% improvement!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just discovered the OP is in Australia. Someone explain to me why this shows up on the Houzz U.S. site?

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Bev - some people in Aus prefer to post on the US site because they get more responses. In any case, the advice you've given is valid for both. Those urns really don't belong with this style of house.