Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Tuesday blooms and lots of rain yesterday

Julia WV (6b)
5 years ago

The thunderstorms rolled through yesterday afternoon into early evening with torrential downpours and high winds. The garden appreciates the watering as the daylily foliage was starting to look like it wanted to die off.

RIBBIT RIBBIT - I missed posting the FFO yesterday but today, it showed a duo. Tall scrapes.

Yesterday

Today

ROCKS CRY OUT - tall scapes this year and I think it has finally settled into its new spot.

JELLYFISH JEALOUSY - always a tall scape performer.

WHIP CITY FLIGHTIE TIGHTY - much darker on its FFO this season. Lots of scapes.

BAHAMA BUTTERSCOTCH - very bright and hard to capture. I plan to remove this one out this year. Not for poor performance but I need to move some out and replace with others.

SEMINOLE WIND - forgot to post this one yesterday. I plan to move this one out also. Overall good scape height but I need to put some other colors in this bed.

MISTER LUCKY - I had wanted to remove this one last fall but ran out of time. Surprised me with a trio opening this morning. Poor thing got over taken by the lupines. I removed a very large planting of cat mint (dirt area behind Mister Lucky) from this area and trying to decide what to put in its place that can be managed easily each season.

LUNAR MAX - multi bloom pic from yesterday or was it the day before that. LOL.

And a few garden shots. Since we got the rain, I can now start edging the front of these beds. I sprayed with grass/weed killer along the front edge of this bed before the heat wave and hope to get this cleaned up today. Rain makes a difference in pulling weeds. Daisies went wild this year. you can also see some of the foliage took a hit from the heat

That is it for today. :)

Julia

Comments (11)

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

Great shot of Lunar Max. Garden shots are just lovely. Love the color you are incorporating into the bed. And everything looks healthy. I do see some of the impacted foliage but the rest really looks good. The rain will help a lot, I am sure. Looking forward to more of your great photos.

Kate

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

I’ve been looking forward to your garden shots! My favorites today are Ribbit Ribbit and Mister Lucky. I hope you get more rain, could use some rain here.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Nice Julia! Great garden shots

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

Love the garden shots. Ribbit Ribbit looks good as does Rocks Cry Out. Really like lunar Max. I am glad we got a little shower yeaterday as we could use some rain.

kay

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Seminole Wind and Mister Lucky are both reliable performers. Mister Lucky is pretty much on normal scape height here this year. Seminole Wind I believe is susceptible to rust, but a good Northern plant. Rocks Cry Out looks very good, at its most colorful. As I recall, it can vary.

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I had never seen or heard of Whip City series, then last fall I got one, then was gifted another. I have been very impressed with both, nice height, nice colors, sturdy plants. Nothing fancy, but seem to be just good plants. Bahamas Butterscotch is such a good plant too. I have had it for years, but now have multiple clumps. That is my main complaint, it grows too fast.

• tarheelgirl_7b
    5 years ago

Beautiful garden shots! Mister Lucky and Lunar Max catch my eye today.

Lori

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

So you got the rain eh Julia.. it threatened here but we got squat . I was hoping it would drop some on its way to you . But nope! Our next possible event is this coming Thursday but I am not holding my breath

I love Ribbit Ribbit ......what a nice lavender ! Rocks Cry Out calls to me . I will have to search for those two . I am curious , Is your Jellyfish Jealousy a UF ? From the image , the colors are right but the shape doesnt fit the name at least from what I can see, it looks more like a bagel form. Is it?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. I spent most of yesterday tackling the front edge of the rock wall garden bed but gave up before I reached the bench seat area. I did dig out a lot of small seedlings of rudbeckia, lychnis, coneflower (purple I think) and replanted into a back garden space. Not sure if they will take but time will tell.

Nancy: I have about 5 maybe 6 of Lori's intros. They always perform well and really grow fast and tall. As you say, nothing real fancy but a good performer. I have to divide mine as they are monsters.

signet: Jellyfish Jealousy is listed as a UF. Here is a pic from last year.

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

AH , there she is . I just couldnt see the movement in your original image on this post . Isnt it a wonderful daylily? I grow it and love it .

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting