Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retropmum

Layout help - reno open plan lounge/kitchen

retropmum
10 years ago
We have started our reno's on the rest of the house and will shortly be up to redoing our existing lounge area and new kitchen but I have no idea for the design, layout of our new area. Hopefully you can see on the attached plan our lounge area, specifically the following; the existing walls to be removed, an existing old hearth that we are planning to plaster (this may provide an opportunity for some feature 'display nooks' in this wall, due to the fact that we will have to pack out to plaster out approx 250mm), a bay window which altough is not very deep has a lovely aspect out to the front yard (a seat or not??), taking into account traffic areas and walk through's, best place to put the TV, front entry is directly into the main lounge area, we currently have an L shaped modular lounge but hope one day to be able to stretch the budget to have a suite/couches that will fit into the room, large kitchen meals area which we will be putting in an island bench BUT have not decided whether to put in a separate dining table or possible just run a table (one that can extend out) that comes directly off the island bench, the entertaining we do is very informal and we do have a large outdoor table under the portico - still undecided. All these things I have just mentioned are factors (pros and cons) I need to take into account and it's probably because there are so many I am not able to visualise the room, which I don't normally have a problem with. The overall style of the house is probably best descibed as modern country or coastal country. If anyone is able to to offer any suggestions I would be extremely grateful, and also relieved as I need to start making decsions but can't find my direction on this one! Thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Greetings Australia ! UK here !!!
    What a fabulous space !! When it's tricky and you can't get your head around what it could look, short of hiring someone like me (or the previous poster )who CAD's it all up, as part of the design process, if you want to do it yourself, considered drawing it up with something like 'interior design for iPad' or 'sketch up' ... As it can really help you visualise it all better ...
    ... is the lounge the main TV viewing area - or is that what the rumpus room is used for - and the lounge is more social zone with occasional tv watching !?!? As it might be nice to have the tv in a hidden cabinet - or hidden away in the wall you are beefing out ( although i'm not a fan of tv's above fireplace's normally ). how many are in your family, living here ?! As this will determine approx seating required for sofas/sectionals/ club chairs etc ?!
    You can achieve good zoning of a large space like this with the use of large area rugs - can be done on a budget if you go to a carpet warehouse and have room sized remnants whipped into large plain rugs ...
    The kitchen is such a great size - it's crying out for something a bit unique going on in there !! Sorry - getting all sorts of ideas !! This is such a great size place !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Something along these lines maybe ?!?!?!
  • retropmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I also have lots of ideas but budget (or lack there of) slows me right down! The lounge is the main tv viewing area, we have 3 teenage boys, believe it or not we do all still spend some time together watching the odd movie etc. we are actually filling in the fire place so that wall will be 'available' Thanks for the advice on sketch up and the interior design for iPad, I will look into them. Out of interest, what sort of price could I expect to pay for someone to "CAD it all up"? Thanks again
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    If you just want it CAD'd for a rough overview then you will find interior design for iPad will cope well enough - it's £6.99 for the app (UK price ) and easy enough for you to do it yourself.
    For OnePlan drawings, prices start from £225 -£675 per room. This would provide design (run by and including input to and fro from you ) plans, elevations, perspectives and panoramics and this would be a detailed enough on, for example, a kitchen, for you to take to several studios and ask for quotes ... I can give you a firm quote to CAD it up - if you let me know which areas you want covered !?! We work from architects drawings (for sizing) - photos and ideas from you ( as we want you to love it !) and its all done via email - we take PayPal - ( £225 is approx $372 Austrailian and £675 is approx $1118 Australian ) simply email for more info or an info PDF
    one.plan@virgin.net

Kind regards,
    Karen
    retropmum thanked OnePlan
  • bargainhunter
    10 years ago
    If there is only one meals area then I feel it should have its own area, not in the kitchen. Could you make the rumpus the main tv area and the lounge the meals / dining area. Then all spaces are big. I like the kitchen island one plan drew. (I can't actually see the measurements on my iPad)
    retropmum thanked bargainhunter