Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_langlais

Help tone down the "cool" tones & improve flow with warm kitchen

KQ
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We updated our downstairs open concept living area three years ago. We wanted to make it less “warm” and I think we maybe were too successful! We also added wallpaper in the kitchen and stained the first floor hardwood dark, and TOTALLY redid the living room. Now, I think maybe we made the living room TOO cool. Attached are photos of the kitchen & living room currently.

I feel like the living room isn’t “grounded” enough. I am considering adding the same kitchen wallpaper to the fireplace wall in the living room as an accent wall. Would that be sufficient? I could make the silver accent table into a darker wood wine rack as an option/also… Thoughts?

I'll post some photos next. I couldn't post this question with all the photos attached, so I'll try posting it with photos separately...

Comments (62)

• isabel98
    5 years ago

Think of your cabs as a color and add some caramel and golds to the living room. Just a pillow will help. Lulu and Georgia have a nice velvet pillow in that color

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

As mentioned above, I would replace some of the metallic items in the living room -- mirror, picture frames, etc. -- with wood (similar in tone to what's in the kitchen).

Whatever warmer accent color you choose, whether it's purple or a warm shade of green -- perhaps something from the fruit art -- use it across both rooms, maybe with a tea kettle and placemats in the kitchen and in pillows and a throw for the living room.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, but I don't think of purple as a warm color, and it just might make the problem worse. Isabel further up has the right idea in adding a warm color, like that of the cabinets, to link the two spaces together. An Oriental rug with beige and other warm colors would also be much better than what you have now. Frankly the gray color in the living area is doing you no favors. Try something like Antique White which will allow you to have a much wider palette of colors in the room. Remove the gray ottoman and find a coffee table in a light wood color instead. The room seems unfinished without side table and lamps. The overhead light is very harsh and just makes the room look even colder. Add some books and plants to give the room personality and warmth. Right now the room does not give a clue about who you are and what you love. Your kitchen is very nice because you have the warmth of the wood cabinets and the beige color in the floor, and that needs to be carried over to the living room side. With a few changes I'm sure you can accomplish that.

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Again, thanks for all your awesome suggestions. I can totally get some warm gold, caramel cushions. Two cushions on the sofa have some grey & gold already so I can definitely emphasize that.
    I’m not sure about adding a second rug onto the carpet? That seems odd to me as I’ve never seen it done. You guys are no dummies though, so I’m sure it’s a “thing”, I’ll have to search around for some images.
    I can reframe art with cherry frames to echo kitchen cabinets. I will consider new coffee table. I had a round wooden one before . I really like it though, maybe artfully drape a beige decorative blanket??
    Plants. Books. Yeah, my husband is not a fan of clutter. Not sure where I would even put that? Mantel? There is a nesting set of side tables between sofa and first squiggly chair. And one unseen one behind large grey chair. Something could definitely go there.
    I’m adding that wallpaper tomorrow. I’ll grab some pillows and rephotograph when it’s done.

Artwork was picked up locally in downtown Manchester CT. I’m away from home until tomorrow, I can give you more deeds on that later.
  • Karen Mikolainis
    5 years ago

You have wood in your kitchen but no wood in the living room. Would changing some the metal LR tables to wood help tie them together? How about changing the blinds? Your LR is very low contrast, I would try to bring in more light-med-dark and mix it up.

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Not a designer, You have a beautiful space! What caught my eye first was the TV so high above the console, and how all your walls had something on them. It seems like too much and too small art. I could see a large plant behind the chair to the left of the fireplace. A tray on the ottoman with flowers. A floor lamp and table lamp. A Blue throw over the sofa with some soft textured pillows on the sofa. Curtains behind the sofa?

Annie Throw & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

Largo Square Tray | Host & Hostess Gifts | Gifts | Z Gallerie · More Info

Amazon.com: Real 100% Tibetan Mongolian Lamb Sheepskin Wool Fur Super Soft Plush · More Info

Light Blue Velvet Pillow | Wayfair · More Info
    I wish I could photoshop! I would think about a large round mirror above the fireplace, and larger coordinating art to each side. With window treatments, that window wall doesn't need art.
    ... by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info

KQ thanked kulrn
  • User
    5 years ago

I think adding the same wood tone that's in your living room will help a great deal. If you want to keep the ottoman (I prefer ottoman's for feet) consider a wooden tray. Picture frames in the same wood tone. Cognac leather pillows. Maybe a lumbar one to add to the couch. I think that color needs to be repeated a bit and honestly in a large, med, and small way in order to coordinate the two spaces. An area rug using both warm and cool colors would work too.

I like the idea of changing the island fixture to something less traditional.

ETA - Looking again I doesn't look like a tray will fit very well on the ottoman and still give you room for feet. I like the blue added above but I still think it would be good to tie the warmth of the cabinet color into the space.

KQ thanked User
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok, so I just dragged the purple/grey/gold rug from the other room into the living room just to see what a rug looks like on top of a carpet. I see what you guys are going for. I know this isn't the right look, but this is an 8x10 rug and i think that will fit fine.

Small glitch with the wallpaper today - he thought i was ordering it, i thought he was ordering it...

So i am wondering, if i get an 8x10 gold/grey/beige rug (something warm and dark), reframe the large silver framed art above mantel with cherry wood, change the squiggly chairs for something like this: [https://www.houzz.com/products/gdf-studio-rocket-brown-top-grain-leather-club-chair-prvw-vr~7497649?lid=1410223[(https://www.houzz.com/products/gdf-studio-rocket-brown-top-grain-leather-club-chair-prvw-vr~7497649?lid=1410223), get some warm cognac pillows, would i need to wallpaper that wall? Correction, can i still wallpaper that wall?

I would probably get window treatments for the windows behind sofa, would you suggest the same for smaller window by large chair? or no? what color?

I'll also get some cherry wood side tables, and some plant or something for behind that big chair. Maybe some softer/warmer tchotchkes for the mantel...

Thoughts? Suggestions? keep 'em coming! :)

The artwork to the sides of fireplace are actually a soft gold gilt frame. only the larger one is totally silver. I knew it was wrong when i originally reframed it, but I didn't want the expense of doing it over... mistake. Just for fun, I'm posting a photo of the living room before I redid it.

• isabel98
    5 years ago

Sounds good. You don’t actually need cherry wood, just similar tone wood. And bringing in that cognac color with accessories, art, and upholstery does the trick. Get a big tree. Plant life in the house is amazing. Good luck!

KQ thanked isabel98
    5 years ago

So i am wondering, if i get an 8x10 gold/grey/beige rug (something warm and dark)

I would not add any more grey to the room in any fashion.

reframe the large silver framed art above mantel with cherry wood

Yes, though as isabel points out, it doesn't have to be cherry. I think one of the problems in each room, the kitchen and living room, is that everything in each room is so very "matchy-matchy". Mix it up a little to give the room some life.

change the squiggly chairs for something like this

I would be very careful of adding any more pieces to the room with rounded shapes, since there are so very many already, including the ottoman and side table. There are a lot already. If you want something less "square", I'd go with a standard club chair shape.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I actually think 8x10 looks a little small. You want all your furniture to have at a minimum 1-2 feet on the rug.
    I wouldn't mix black and brown leather. Are you changing out the ottoman? Fwiw, I think a long skinny ottoman, or two smaller, would work better. If they don't look too awkward depending on the scoop to the sofa.
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    I think your room is crying out for two things- depth (of color) and natural texture. Natural fiber / woven cotton rugs would be a great place to start. So would curtains with a geometric print witb light/dark variation or mixed textures (like this linen and velvet one)
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

elleN - that large a rug, even WITH a carpet already under it?! OMG my head is ready to explode! LOL!

What do you think of the wallpaper wall - yay or nay? I want to keep the grey leather ottoman. You don't think I should mix brown and grey leather, okay. Let me see what I can get for a rug and some cognac, blue, purple accent pillows and see how that looks. I'll get a bunch of colors and try them all out. :)

I have a wooden floor light, I'll see if I can work that in..

5 years ago

What do you think of the wallpaper wall - yay or nay?

What does the wallpaper look like compared to the paint color? From what I can see, I don't know that wallpaper would make that much of a difference in terms of toning down the cool tones.

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's a very dark taupe. it has brown in it for sure.

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, so i hit up Pier 1 for a million pillows. I got one of everything that looked like a possibility. I found a few combos I liked:

I did NOT like these:

Then i saw some rugs, but not were right (I don't think).

I was looking for something gold with some purple, but there is a LOT of blue out there. I like blue and the blue pillows above pick up the blue in the artwork over the mantel so that's fine. Will that go okay with the little bit of purple I've got going on in the other rooms?

• isabel98
    5 years ago

I like the last rug you posted. But you need a shot of that orange color of your cabs. everything is kinda drab. maybe get an inspo picture of what you like. I love the chairs in this photo, if you are going to get new chairs go for a bolt of color.

this is the link to a great pillow in that color pillow.

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, I went back for more pillows. Still haven't found a large enough rug with the right warm colours in it. Found some wood pieces, but all very cool tones. Still looking. Thoughts on the pillows?

• isabel98
    5 years ago

I like the solid orange but it’s a bit bright. How do you feel about it? Your initial question was how to tie the two spaces together Does this help accomplish that?

i still think it would be wise to find insp pics of what you want to achieve as far as a final look and then try to mimic that

5 years ago

What about coral instead of orange?

• isabel98
    5 years ago

I like the 3rd rug you posted, that one would tie in all the colors of your wood and the slate. The photo you like is really nice and does have some wood pieces but for me personally would not be enough to flow with your kitchen.

If I have some time later I will try to search out some ideas.

KQ thanked isabel98
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    I like the first one, then last, then third. I don't think we should go too busy for your rug, and sometimes boarders get funky when furniture is placed on top.

I'm curious about all this burnt orange when you said you don't like it. Doesn't matter how technically stylish something is if you hate it. I thought the purple was perfectly lovely. Or some rose pinks with the blue velvet.
    KQ thanked Elle
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ElleN i love purple! I love the navy pillows I got. It definitely adds some depth to the room. But I know i need a warm color to flow with the kitchen and I thought the general consensus was to bring in some orange to go with the cherry cabinets in the kitchen.

I prefer the softer color of the pillow isabel98 posted to the orange I got at Pier 1. I don't hate that color at all, i could work with that color.

I'll change the light, I'm not opposed to a carpet. I am okay getting some drapes to soften the window behind the sofa (navy and gold???) Should I get drapes for the window by the chair?

I'm actually not opposed to getting a new ottoman if neccessary, and two new chairs.

• PRO
    NEJ Enterprises
    5 years ago

This room desperately needs some warm woods, anywhere! Maybe a plant in the corner. Icy is great if it is balanced with some natural woods!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

One issue I hadn't really noticds before is that the TV is much too high and too far away from the console for it to make sense. The bottom edge of the TV should be much lower, around 6 to 8 inches above the console.

I'm afraid that the frames you've chosen for your art are too wide and too flat. It puts the emphasis on the frame rather than the picture. Some of them may actually look better with a mat around them. I can't tell whether these are oil paintings, color photographs or something else? Somehow they just don't look right with those frames.

Books and plants don't clutter up a room; they give it life and humanize it, as does art that has meaning for you and can stand on its own merits.

• threers
    5 years ago

I just read very quickly through all the above comments and I don't think I saw a comment about the lighting in the living room You need to add floors lamps, table lamps and/or sconces on the walls. The light from overhead lights only is rarely sufficient. You will be surprised at the difference this will make in how the room feels and looks.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    It would be great if you could change the ottoman to allow for a saddle brown leather chair and ottoman. Those would pull in from the cabinets nicely without requiring orange pillows. Or would go nicely with the pillows.
    Another option... you love the blue pillows and so do I. What about blue velvet chairs? Put some stiffer orange patterned pillows on it, it would be beautiful.
    Definitely do something the same for all the windows. A soft feminine fabric like linen in a light color.
    We also need to find a way to visually separate your couch and wall color because they're so similar. Perhaps a throw over the back? Or maybe that's the wall to do the wallpaper on?
    A rustic wood tv console would be another great opportunity to add warmth.
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    How do you feel about this room? I happened to think of it when you said navy drapes. Typically I wouldn't recommend heavy drapes like that, but it's executed so well in this room...

https://ml.houzz.com/EsPmMVRkFO
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think those drapes/that room is too much. it's too formal. i don't hate the color at all though.

I'd like to:

add a rug to add some warm hues. some orange and a lot of blue to add depth to the floor.

keep the blue velvet pillows

change up the ottoman - either saddle brown or blue velvet

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/caden-upholstered-leather-nailhead-rectangular-ottoman/?pkey=e%7Cleather%2Bottoman%7C148%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C48%7C%7C24&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

??

change the squiggly chairs - either blue velvet or saddle brown

add some drapes - color??

add some wood tones - maybe the ottoman, maybe some side tables or the console

I did like this display at Pottery Barn:

I also saw these wood accent tables at Pier 1 & Home Goods, thoughts?

change the kitchen light

add floor and table lamps in living room

I love my console. I don't think the TV is too high, i just think I need some "stuff: on it. i'm not good with "stuff".

• kulrn
    5 years ago

I like your console. I think it needs a lower larger art piece over it, or a large round mirror. I still think your art is on too many walls and too lined up all around the room. other than that and a few accessories I don't think you need to change a whole lot.

my boards | Olioboard · More Info

• kulrn
    5 years ago

.... by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info

• Elle
    5 years ago
    Check out this ottoman in camel
    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/cavett-leather-wood-frame-bench/s420947

Matching chairs
    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/sherwood-leather-exposed-wood-frame-chair/s625365

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/barrett-leather-track-arm-chair/s651142

Since you feel those curtains are too dark/formal, I definitely recommend you go with my initial suggestion of light color / rich texture.
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    I like the first and last pictures you posted for wood tables, but I would only get one or the other. It also doesn't appear to be as rich toned as the woods in your kitchen.
  • isabel98
    5 years ago

have you considered lightening the walls in your kitchen? or possible getting some lighter stools?

• isabel98
    5 years ago

I too think your art is too spaced and dotted throughout the room. hang them as a collection, at least the two on either side of the FP and the one on the couch wall.

I feel like if you are going to get new chairs they should be in the color of the pillow I suggested earlier, preferable velvet; leather if the ottoman was also switched.

Modern Loft · More Info

I like this color leather in your room.

KQ thanked isabel98
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes, I agree ElleN. I'm having a hard time finding warm wood stuff! I'll order a carpet and drapes and ottoman and the pillows from Lulu & Georgia and see how it looks then. I'll post more in a few weeks. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for warm wood accents. I'm in VT this weekend - maybe I'll find a funky shop somewhere!

isabel98 I love that sofa color. I'll be on the lookout for that in chairs.

• isabel98
    5 years ago

You might find just adding the color through other items you won’t need the wood. Just make sure you love what u buy

cant wait to see what you post. I’m going to buy that pillow too!

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's what I'm hoping!! :) oh, how many? three on each end? 3 on just one end??

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

elleN what about these? navy semi-sheer curtains

• isabel98
    5 years ago

mmm, I would start with three, and then add according to how you feel about it.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I wouldn't do a color for the curtains. Your goal is to add cohesiveness and texture rather than color. Remember how you felt the dark curtains were heavy? I'd also go with something that has a bit more weight.

https://mobile-beta.westelm.com/products/echo-print-curtain-set-of-2-gold-dust-b2146

https://mobile-beta.westelm.com/products/cotton-canvas-stamped-dots-curtains-set-of-2-shimmer-t3595

https://mobile-beta.westelm.com/products/embroidered-border-curtain-t3657
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love the first gold curtains! Definitely going to order them. Do I need them in the two other downstairs rooms? (Open concept )
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh! And the other window in the living room has an arch. Where do I hang the curtains? Below the arch?
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    Hang them like so, 6" higher than the arch and 6-12" wider. Hang the ones over the couch at the same height as the others if the ceiling doesn't come down and prevent it. For the curtains to look full, you'll need them to be twice as wide as the windows, so you might need 4 for the window over the couch.
    You don't *need* them for the other room hit it can help them look cohesive. What do you have there now?
    KQ thanked Elle
  • J J
    5 years ago
    Following along because getting a home to be cohesive is a challenge for me.
  • User
    5 years ago

I skimmed some of this. I like the navy pillows but I think those orange pillows are too orange and bright. The colors needs to be more brown like the cognac leather color. I believe that along with some warm wood (same tone as your cabinets) and some texture will tie the rooms together and complete the visual jump.

• PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ElleN I have Hunter Douglas wood blinds painted the same beige as my trim.

And top of arch is 2" below regular ceiling height. So I can't hang them all at the same level.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    Ok, so I'd just hang them at different levels but the same distance from the ceiling (eg 2" from the tall ceiling and 2" from the normal ceiling)
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, just a quick update. Still waiting on the rug & pillows to arrive. In the meantime a World Market *just* opened up near us and they had cinnamon pillows! I also found a funky wooden "tray" that I liked. Do the old pilllows go? Or do I need to find something else to tie it in?

Also, thinking of hitting West Elm tomorrow. Browsing their website I found this cluster of vases I like - might put these on the console. Maybe the mantle? I need something warm on the TV console too..

I also found these blue ones, don't think I like them as much.

They also had some cherry wood ones, but I think if I redo the large framed artwork I won't need them up there. Maybe use these for the TV console? Or keep looking?

Also saw this chair at World Market that I like, but I'm going to wait until the carpet comes in.

It's getting there!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County