Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenho_mi_z5

What better time to share your drought tolerant plants

GardenHo_MI_Z5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Sedum makes the cut for sure. Having many varieties now...they are troopers that I’ve come to really appreciate.

Balloon Flowers (I have the short ones)...which Were almost shovel pruned, due to being high maintenance needing constant deadheading. I’m glad I waited as they are true beauties. They are at the end of my driveway, so I’ve made it a habit of deadheading when I walk by to check the mail. Keeps them looking their best.

Coreopsis, although another high maintanace deadheading one...I just love the yellows.

Asters. A light purple one with the tag long lost. It has thrived for years, where all the other Asters have failed. I have tried many.

Rozanne geranium does great for me. IF...she’s partially shaded. I have a couple that need to be moved. She’s an all time favorite for her long bloom time.

Allium millineum was basically a plant and forget.

Montauk daisies are about the same...plant and rarely water.

Grasses, my favorite being Mexican grass....love it!

Salvia, veronLuca and coneflowers are holding up well.

Agastashe and Russian Sage are too.

Artemisia Valerie Finnis...love it, but it needs to be controlled.

I just walked the gardens, otherwise I would’ve never remembered all those lol.

Do you have any to share? Which are your favorites?

Comments (32)

• dbarron
    5 years ago

Actually the only things that seem drought tolerant right now (it's crispy out) are my crinums, my lantana, (strangely) my passion flower. And that's about it :(

Everything else is insisting on being watering with severe wilts.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked dbarron
  • User
    5 years ago

I have had some terrible losses at the allotment - phlox, helenium, potentillas, geums, primula hardy geraniums and aster are a sad crispy mess while I have hastily chopped quite a few more to the ground - baptisia for example. Salvia greggii, linum perenne, linum arvoreum, erigeron karvinskiana, osteospermum, arctotis, dianthus carthusianorum, catanache, lavender, cistus, limonium perezzii, mentzelia, althea cannabina are still laughing at the weeks and weeks without rain (east anglia is the dryest part of the UK).

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked User
  • cecily 7A
    5 years ago

Adding a couple more favorites to GardenHo's excellent list...

nepeta Walker's Low

phyostegia Vivid

liatris Kobold

Siberian iris

mum Sheffield

vernonia Iron Butterfly

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked cecily 7A
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Yes to all of the above (except some from Camp that are not hardy here) Surprised that Baptisia is suffering for you, it is very happy here.

Leucanthemum 'Becky'

Limonium latifolium

Rudbeckia (various)

Daylilies (I pulled off some leaves but they are loaded with buds and flowers)

Gaillardia 'Goblin'

Artemisia Silver Mound

Persicaria polymorpha

Some you would not expect like Gentian, Kirengeshoma, Astrantia, Aruncus, Rodgersia and Hosta.

GardenHo I am sure when I walk the garden today I will come up with more!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forgot about liatris and hosta, both holding up well here too.

My Rodgersia collapsed...looks like something stomped on it :( it needs to be moved...

Taking notes :0)

Thanks everyone...keep em coming!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Excellent list GardenHo et al.

I for sure agree re Allium milleneum, Balloon flowers and PPolymorpha. And I am surprised at how well the hostas hold up in dry conditions.

(I know this isn't a perennial but I am in awe of the performance of the annual portulaca...it seems to crave dry sunny and hot).

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

In my area - and droughty, dry summers are the norm for us - any Mediterranean plant is a trooper: euphorbia, lavender, rosemary, thymes, rock roses (Cistus) and sun roses (Helianthemum). Also echinops, eryngium, most hardy geraniums, agastache, salvias, sedums and stonecrops, yuccas, hebes, penstemon and just about any ornamental grasses. And there is an endless list of DT shrubs and groundcovers............ :-)

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • growgirl
    5 years ago

I agree with many. My baptisia, amsonia, catmint, siberian iris, balloon flowers, kniphophia, butterfly weed, allium, lilium, and a geranium of mine are holding their own pretty well so far, thankfully.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked growgirl
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    5 years ago

Hard to say, because in spite of it all, everything is looking quite lush and happy in my garden this year. But in the more severe drought of 2016, I was astounded that what really held its own was black eyed Susan. That and certain weed ground covers, which made me wonder what masochist dreamt of sod grass instead of weed ground cover sod in the first place.

5 years ago

I know this might not be a typical "drought tolerant plant" but the "no fuss" roses I have seem to be able to put up with way less water than I would have thought.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Veronica longifolia

Glandularia canadensis

Monarda fistulosa

Symphyotricium oolentangiense

Loving them all!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I agree rouge. I have some oldies like Grootendorst Supreme, The Fairy, Swany, Red Fairy '92 all doing very well.

How could we forget Oenothera f. - Sundrops.

• perennialfan275
    5 years ago

Yarrow is very drought tolerant (and heat tolerant as well) in my experience. Breeding has introduced several other colors besides for the usual yellow (I have a pink one).

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked perennialfan275
  • cecily 7A
    5 years ago

My black-eyed susans are wilting. I win the my drought is worse than your drought contest. I don't feel like a winner though.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked cecily 7A
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol Cecily!

Sundrops!! Mine have been wilted for weeks...I think we might be tied Cecily!

I totally forgot about Aruncus peren.all. I’m most impressed with it. Even in my dryest bed it has been a trooper with no watering whatsoever!

...taking more notes, thanks everyone!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    5 years ago

Nobody has mentioned Pardancandas, so I have. Also Ratibida columnifera. They make a pretty good combo too.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • User
    5 years ago

Already mentioned but Nepeta walkers low, sedums, phlox, veronica, alliums, even my daylilies aren't looking too bad.

5 years ago

What a relief that some of you are now getting rain! It rained again last night here thankfully.

GardenHo I do hope those clouds gave you rain.

My Sundrops do get a little shade.

Gypsophila repens is such a trooper. I have enjoyed it for years for its long bloom period but really appreciate it for drought resistance.

5 years ago

My Rodgersia collapsed...

I find my Rodgersia in the shade does just fine with little rain but the two that get some afternoon sun don't do well at all.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

peren.all yes, we thankfully got rain. Hoping for more this weekend.

My Sundrops are partially shaded too. I’ve never seen them look so bad...

Rouge mine is shaded most of the day in my sloped bed. Ive tried watering deeply but with the soil being hydrophobic....most of it just runs off :(

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Not all sundrops are created equal. My O. speciosa needs regular waterings, but the O. macrocarpa is a real trouper in drought conditions. Leadplant is great too. Now to throw some shade. Virginia bluebells,celendine poppies,wild ginger,geranium maculatum,tall bellflower. They need the spring rains, but seem to survive severe summer droughts unscathed. The orange jewelweeds are numerous growing alongside them, but they will fry before flowering if not watered during dry spells. I had a few Hepaticas growing in that shade gerden too, but sadly they dissapeared because it got too dry in the summer.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • User
    5 years ago

Getting worse by the day (and no rain in sight). I am trying to hold my nerves as any watering now, unless deep and plentiful, is going to be worse than none at all...since roots have been reaching deep into the soil and I do not want to tempt them into thinking surface water is available. Yep, the baptisia is now a withered stump, various campanulas are also diminished...all in all, the allotment is a bit f a disaster this year. I am planning on removing quite a lot of plants and really doing xeric planting as I actually have rainfall somewhere on a par with Israel or Beirut...ie. not very much at all. Mediterranean plants are OK to a point...and I do have an urban temperature hike, unlike Norfolk, where my wood is much colder over winter.

Rouge - nearly all the roses (I have around 80 or so) are OK, although most are single flowering. The remontant roses have shut down their bloom cycle...but, with a quick trim, should have at least another decent flush. True, I also grow 'no fuss' ones such as species roses, ramblers, chinas, gallicas, rugosas, and burnets.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

mountain mint, amsonia, cupplant (it's very well est.), joe pye, herbstonne rudbeckia, greynheaded coneflower, salvia, daylily phlox showing no particular drought issues, while even my hyssop is wilting a little, vernonia and st john's wort are doing well in a clients garden, as well as coreopsis, echinacea and blanket flower elsewhere

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked J Williams
  • river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    5 years ago

Cecily & GardenHo, you mentioned liatris. Here’s the tall skinny Liatris aspera, full sun, native plant, loaded with buds now, will be in full bloom for fall migration of hummingbirds & Monarch butterflies.

dbarron, you mentioned crinum. Here's Crinum Cape lily, morning sun or dappled afternoon sun, imported in the 1800’s long before sprinkler systems existed, FRAGRANT nineteenth century hybrid that is a popular pass-along plant in my area. Native plants & old-fashioned standbys are my best ones in this weather. Thanks for the great thread, very timely!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
  • PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Wow! River, that Lily is divine. Camp, my Baptisia has bounced back a few times after looking all shabby and mangled. There still may be hope. I'm doing a rain dance for you.

• dbarron
    5 years ago

Ellen Bosanquet (or Super Ellen...not sure on id) and Stars and Stripes. They're both blooming right now with more spikes coming.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked dbarron
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beautiful lilies!

Heres mine from today

And liatris

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    5 years ago

Beautiful, dbarron & GardenHo, & thanks Jay!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
  • dbarron
    5 years ago

Nothing like natives and old tried and true plants to sail through drought I suppose :)

5 years ago

Walking around yesterday I can't believe I forgot about the Hellebores & Crocosmia. Surprised they had not been noted by anyone.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

My garden would not support either one of those (heavy clay soil), and two of the gardens I planted hellebore in, the plants were not very robust, one I know has disappeared. My pulmonarias have been champs tho, and I have a native verbena which has never drooped or wilted, looks just as green and healthy as it should and is flowering on schedule (it's not spectacularly showy, but maybe in a large group). I have a fringed loosestrife and it's been doing OK as well, it was wilting a bit. Penstemon, monarda, nepeta, asclepias and oenethera are all unsurprisingly fine. Oh and you can add veronica (Royal Candles) to that list, it's in at least one of the gardens I've been looking after and has been getting minimal water in full sun in nearly pure sand/gravel, plus the bees seem to love it.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County