Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skelley1293

9 year old girl teal & pink room

Susanne k
5 years ago

Need advise on decorating my daughters room. She is 9 years old and would like teal & pink. My hubby would prefer the teal to be a pastel/light shade of teal. Initially when I suggested teal to her, I was thinking dark pink accents (pillows, etc...) but I don't know if the dark pink would go with a light teal. Thoughts/suggestions on how I can make both parties happy? What light shades of teal would look best?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    5 years ago

Decide which color will be the dominant color and the accent color first.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    It should be up to your daughter, not your husband... it is her room is it not??
  • Nicole Faircloth
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love this combination. I know you don't need a crib set, but I like these colors together.
    https://www.amazon.com/Caden-Lane-Collection-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004YLAGJQ

• partim
    5 years ago

When I was 12, my parents let me pick out the paint color for my room. I hated it when it was done. I wish someone had told me that the pretty little square of turquoise green would look way too dark and intense, when all 4 walls were done in that color. Repainting was not an option.

If she wants to paint the whole room teal, she may regret it later as I did. Show her some pictures of teal bedrooms, but be sure that they have the same amount of windows as hers does. A regular bedroom window is very different from some of the huge rooms with very large windows, that we see on Houzz.

• ajrmcr
    5 years ago

Think more "Tiffany blue" and pink! Beautiful together! I have a guest room in similar colors and they look so happy together.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

some inspiration:

Port Streets Home · More Info

Buckhead · More Info

Concord Avenue · More Info

My Houzz: Kadet Home · More Info

• annied75
    5 years ago
    While it's great that your daughter shows interest in decorating her room, I would add the pink and teal accents as shown in some of the inspiration photos shown. I specifically like the cream/white walls with the accents. This will allow her to change decor as she gets older and her tastes change.

In the 80s, my parents allowed me to pick wallpaper for my room. Of course, I chose the ever-so-popular paint splatter print in a combination of yellow, blue and pink. Loved it as an 8-year old, however, at 13 I was SO over it!

Unless you are fine with repainting in a few years, I would stay with the neutral paint colors.
  • einportlandor
    5 years ago

Agree with annie. I let my young daughter pick out a shade of purple for her room and it was AWFUL. Better to paint the walls a neutral color and let her add color -- wonderful or horrible -- with pillows, art, pillowcases, etc. Much easier to update when her tastes change, which they will.

• sandk
    5 years ago

If you don't want to paint in a few years and don't mind replacing bedding and decor, neutral is the way to go. That said, I've painted my daughter's room purple twice (two different houses). When tempered with lots of white trim and furnishings and light gray carpet, I liked it too. Kids can be hard on their walls, so even a neutral paint job may need to be redone in a few years.

• Fori
    5 years ago

The teal (or turquoise or whatever light teal is) would be my choice for wall color, and DH is right to want it light--it is HARD to paint over saturated colors, and it's hard to do a good edge because every flaw in your paint job stands out. I bet that's what he's thinking. It's a color that should continue to appeal long after she's outgrown pink.

But I bet she wants real teal, not wimpy turquoise. See if you can get her interested in an accent wall--this is a good use of wallpaper.

My kid picked out a pretty intense swimming-pool blue for her walls as a kindergartner and still loves it as a teenager. It was a dark army green when we moved in. It's a refreshing color an matches all the dirty clothes on the floor.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Best to start like an adult. Pick out the bedding first. Then accent ideas. Then paint. Paint is ALWAYS the last to be chosen because you want it to highlight the main theme of the room...the bedding. You don't want the paint to drive the room.

Have her start a story board. Pictures of rooms she likes, why she likes them and what she would like to have in her room. Then find bedding. Then drapes. Then accessories. Then the paint choice will fall naturally into place.

Also, it is only paint. If you don't like it, repaint it. Let her know that choices have consequences but are not a life sentence. Let her know the cost of things that are being chosen. Let her know what her budget is. Help her become a responsible adult by helping her learn HOW to make choices. That, IMHO, is how you can get you, your husband and your daughter all on the same page.

• torreykm
    5 years ago

Choose bedding first, then think about paint colors. You may wish to remain neutral on the walls. If not, go very pale. It is much easier to match paint to fabric than try and find something after you've painted.

• Lisa Dehond
    5 years ago

Girls should have an opinion, but I agree with everybody, strong colors are dated. I too would choose white walls and go nuts on decorating as she wants.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

If you are ready for her to choose her own colours then she will never forget the lesson if she chooses a colour she ends up disliking. She will either be much more cautious or learn to enjoy painting :-). Either way it will be her mistake to glean a lesson out of.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

When my sister was eight, she had a light pink room with hot pink trim. Didn't take long for her to get tired of pink.

Agree with those that suggest a neutral wall and go bold in the daughter's choice of colors for bedding, curtains, throw pillows and, perhaps, even repainting furniture that is already painted.

With regard to furniture, you might find her a couple of used wood pieces (bookcase, table, chair) that she can repaint herself or, better yet, that y'all repaint together.

You could take your daughter to dollar stores or even thrift stores in search of the perfect vase or flower pot -- anything budget friendly in a color she likes.

Adding modern box wall shelving would provide more opportunity to add the preferred colors -- both in painting the box and/or adding items to the shelves.

The color of a painted desk or table with shelving above and/or tall shelving on one or both sides could change with changes in your daughter's personal taste and age really well throughout her school years.

Let us know how the room progresses.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

It's PAINT. It's no harder to paint over a saturated color than a pastel. Prime and two coats will do it. She is nine. In four years she will hate it no matter the color. and in another four she will go to a dorm room you won't have to look at daily. It's just paint : )

Susanne k thanked JAN MOYER
  • remodeling1840
    5 years ago
    As Jan says, “ it’s only paint.” It’s certainly not permanent. $50 worth of paint and a weekend..... yes, at some point she will get tired of it, but few people wear the same shirt everyday for 25 years. What is her vision for the room? I think the story board idea is great-let her show you and dad her ideas. She might be a budding designer. Encourage her. It’s her room, not a social space where your adult friends will be sipping tea or eating barbecue. As a bonus, you will be the “cool” parents!
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Strong colors are "dated"? "Dated" is a word that often really means "I personally don't like that", and is best reserved for washboards and the like...

If she does pink and teal - say pink on three walls and teal as an accent color on a fourth, it may be blinding to have both colors done strong. Pink could be muted, and the teal done to a medium strength. That could be attractive.

Fortunately (for my parents) when I was growing up I wanted paint colors they could also get behind... I wanted yellow, and they obliged... I'm sure if I wanted black (as one friend of mine did back then), the collective feet would have gone down! At any rate, I never did tire of yellow -- I'd painted my bedroom in my last house a creamy sort of yellow (although here I now have garden sage green).

Paint is easy to change in a few years. Paint gets dingy, anyway, in time.

EDIT: I really like the third photo down in Partim's suggestions of bedrooms. That teal isn't too dark and there are lots of pink accents there. More interesting than doing my earlier mention of teal as an accent wall in a pink room.

Susanne k thanked artemis_ma
  • partim
    5 years ago

This is a great opportunity to work together with her to get a room she will like when she's finished. These days, it's quite easy to find pictures on the internet and let her choose one that she likes, and adapt it to her own room and furniture. But please don't just ask her to "pick colors she likes" and just paint her room that color, with no concrete vision of what it will look like.

Saying that it can be repainted isn't really helping her to learn how to do this right. What she can learn here is that (1) wall paint should be the last choice and (2) paint looks a lot different on a whole wall, than a little chip. And making her learn it the hard way, i.e. doing it wrong the first time, is unnecessary.

The objective is to help her to get a room that she will like, not something that she may not like with the idea that she will have to live with her choice, or repaint it. That seems mean to me.

I don't get the "it's just paint" comments. People have busy lives between work and family commitments, and that's a lot of work in my book. Alternatively, no-one will paint it for free. Shouldn't the objective be to help her make the right choice the first time?

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    5 years ago

I did a pink and teal (maybe more aqua)room for my (now eight year old) daughter a few years ago. My suggestion would be to go with a barely blush color for the wall with teal accents in bedding and accessories. I went with a soft pink for the walls and as light as it is it still overwhelms the small space. A super light blush would be better, much more sophisticated and won't be grown out of so quickly.

I am now papering over the walls with a floral print, but here's her tiny room with SW anemone. It ended up being too pink despite being quite pale on the paint chip

• R M
    5 years ago
    How about just an accent wall in pale teal.....behind the bed.
    My daughter wanted hot pink ..it was terrible!
    Looked like she was sleeping in a wad of Bazooka Bubble Gum!
  • HU-165725637
    5 years ago

My daughter's former bedroom was BM Palladian Blue and it was a beautiful pale turquoise color. She had pink accessories and I thought the colors worked well together.

Her current room has white walls but she still has turquoise and pink bedding and accessories.

Susanne k thanked HU-165725637
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County