Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Top Bud Numbers for Daylilies 2018

shive
5 years ago

This is the second post for this. The first one disappeared, or was removed. Please post which of your daylilies had the highest number of buds/blooms this season.

I've always said I never get 40 buds per scape on any dayliliy. But I can't say that after this season. In this year of generally pitiful bud counts, two daylilies here had bud counts in the 40s this time.

My top bud king was an oldie, Royal Jester, with 41 buds and seven-way branching on the best scape. It is a dormant late bloomer.

Second place was Black Panther, which I've had for two years, with 40 buds and seven-way branching on the best scape.

Tuxedo Junction had 31 buds on its best scape

Lavender Stardust came in fourth with 28 buds

August Cherry was fifth with 21 buds.

All of those are dormants that bloom in the later part of the season.

Debra

Comments (33)

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

I wish I had time to count buds .......too busy weeding but at least I got to see your post !

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I don't have bud counts anywhere near that. I'm an Angel went between 18 to 22, except for a couple of Small fans. Jamaican Me Crazy had several just over 20, and Elegant Candy had 1 with 28, but the rest just under 20. It is a a large clump so it was very impressive. Blue eyed Butterfly had just under 20. I'm an Angel and Jamaican Me Crazy always have bud counts in that range, I think this is the best Elegant Candy has ever done, still have a few buds from the original scapes, and now it is sending up rebloom scapes. I don't really do much bud counts, although I do notice the ones with very low counts. And I have not had very many at all of those this year.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy - I've got to move Elegant Candy out of the shade. I'd love to see it with that many buds! You're lucky that you didn't have many with low bud counts. I had so many with 5 to 6 buds per scape that it was sad.

signet - Take a break from weeding and count buds! I gave up ever conquering my weeds and grass growing in the beds. My goal now is to have everything tiny and well mulched by October.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

I will try this again. I hope I can remember what I listed.

Purple Riot is always number 1 with 5 way branching on most scapes, often 5-7 buds per branch.

Spiritual Corridor, new this year, is number 2 with 3 way branching and 20 or so buds.

Not exactly sure what is after these. I think Russian Rhaposdy is next with its best year ever, 15+ per and mostly 3 way branching. No group shot.

Vintage Wine had similar stats to RR.

There were one or 2 more but I don't recall which ones. Some of my generally best budded ones only had around 10 this year, such as Prismatic, Karen's Curls, Carmen Renee and Belle Isle Sentry. Generally though, when Belle reblooms in Sept. the scapes often far surpass the original ones from June.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hoosier Nan - Wow 47 buds is amazing! Congrats on that high performing intro!

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Hoosier_Nan , is Sonoran Desert Rose a bud builder?

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

No, I don't believe it is. It just started blooming and it has monster scapes with a lot of branching. Each branch has lots of buds on it.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I see the original post has just shown up in the list.

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Here's my other top budded--copy and paste for the lost-now-found thread:

Acquire the Fire, around 12-15 per scape, 3-way branching.

Prairie Blue Eye, another oldie, had 15 on 3 way branching on a couple of scapes, 10 on others.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Brad - I'm glad the old thread appeared so you could get the numbers on your other two.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

taking a break for lunch. OMG I LOVE your August Cherry ! What an absolutely gorgerous color . I am gonna have to track that one down too . Lavender Stardust is only in its second season here so nice to see what it might look like in a clump . I cant get over how much petalage ( is that a word?) that that plant puts out . LOVE LOVE LOVE your Royal Jester ......lovely to see something different from what everyone is showing .

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I have my eye on August Cherry and Lavender Stardust for some new lates

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

signet and Nancy - August Cherry is a beautiful shade of cherry red and it often has more buds than the 17 registered in my garden. It's pretty hard to find. Partridge Hill Gardens used to sell Marvin's intros, but they no longer have a website. I got mine several years ago in a trade.

signet - Royal Jester should be easy for you to find - even in Canada. It's been around for along time and is usually very cheap.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

I think I NEED August Cherry. I love Cherry Treat but at 4 or so buds a year, I've wanted to ditch it over and over but didn't have the heart. This looks like it is about the same color. So far I've only found it for sale one place, but I don't think that they will ship it to here. The place seems to be [not sure-don't read the language] Poland! I will keep looking.

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Brad , I found it at Harmon Hill daylilies $22 bucks . They are in New Hampshire ......they even ship to Canada Whoo hoo!

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Thanks Signet!

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

You know I don't keep up with that. m I can tell you whay bloomed the most or longest, but nmnever the bud count, much less branching.

kay

• DaveinVA (7a)
    5 years ago

Debra, how often did you get 40 buds per scape?

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

kay - We'll do some other threads on longest bloomers and best clumps!

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dave - This is the first year I've gotten bud counts in the 40s in a long time. One year I had 43 on Crimson Pirate through bud building, and I've had 39 in past years on My Melinda and Little Mystic Moon, but they're in too much shade to perform like that now. I remember getting 36 one year on my registration, Sangria With Mia. It's only in rainy years I get bud counts that high.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's interesting to me that some people seem to have the same daylilies with the highest bud counts each year. But that doesn't happen with me. Last year my top bud kings were Scarlet Angel (26), Coastal Grand (25) and Billy the Kid (23). This year none of those had any lateral branching, so their bud counts ranged from 8-13 buds. I've found some do fantastic one year, and then seem to take a bit of a rest the next.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Debra , sounds like me and my weeds LOL ! But I do happen to agree with you . I find some plants go over the top one year and then the next not so much

Not having much luck finding Royal Jester .........maybe the lily auction ....I will keep checking there .

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

I have some of each. Little Light of Mine, El Desperado, Spoken in Parables, Fernstone Pink Gingham bloom like crazy every year...I think Sweet Isabella may wind up joining because this first year plant bloomed so long and is a bud builder. Tothers bloom really well one year and so-so the next

kay

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Kay do you know who hybridized Sweet Isabella .......because I cant find any info on the name Sweet Isabella ........there is an iris with that name but no daylily that I can fine.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

signet - Sweet Isabela (just one L) was hybridized by Gerda Brooker at Victorian Garden. I think it was named after her granddaughter or another child she knew named Isabela.

Marietta Gardens still sells Royal Jester. That's where I got mine.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

Thanks Debra I will check it out but I dont think Marietta Gardens still ship to Canada anymore

• nat4b
    5 years ago

Debra all your bud kings / queens are beautiful too! Love that August Cherry pic! And always love the bicolor / bitone look!

I don't know if I am gonna count, my days of 35-40 buds are gone, they are so crowded, and I have never had so few buds on plants as this year. Maybe Lullaby Baby as it builds buds and kinda always is among my best. And Isle of Patmos looks pretty well-budded.

I can name the worst though, Berry Delicious - 1 scape with 2 buds, and Nature's Crown - 4 scapes with 1 bud per scape (it dropped all the others as it usually does)

• dick_in_ohio
    5 years ago

Dixieland Five and Unbridled Spirit. I don't often count buds but they cover themselves with flowers.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dick - Do you have photos you can post of Dixieland Five and Unbridled Spirit? I'm not familiar with those.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, a rebloom scape on Boundless Beauty just kicked August Cherry out of my #4 spot. It has 22 buds and five-way branching. The original scapes had 15-17 buds.

Also, creeping up the charts is Final Touch, a bud building late Final Touch. Four scapes are bud building now with counts ranging from 17-20.

Debra

• dick_in_ohio
    5 years ago

For Shive:

Dixieland Five

Unbridled Spirit

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the photos, Dick!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC