Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Solid Surface v. Quartz for Master Bath Counters

Kristin S
5 years ago

We had planned to use quartz for our master bath counters, but we're also considering solid surface (likely Corian). I know little about solid surface, though, beyond that there are advocates on here, and it's likely less expensive than quartz.

What are the downsides of Corian? Is it a good choice for a master bath counter? We don't use hairdryers/curling irons/flat irons, so no heat concerns, but are there other things to consider? How does it compare to quartz?

Comments (22)

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, who handles Corian for install purposes? Does this go through my stone fabricator, or is there someone else for Corian?

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks, fuzzy wuzzy. We're doing a pretty mid-range quartz for our kitchen, Caesarstone Organic White, but it turns out they'll need three slabs for the master, which seems insane since that's the same as the (not small!) kitchen. We'll be asking more questions, but also exploring options.

Also, I'd love suggestions for colors to coordinate. We're doing fairly convincing Calacatta-look porcelain tile. I like the Organic White since it has some visual texture but doesn't compete. Does Corian have a color that accomplishes a similar purpose?

• Patti Brommelsiek
    5 years ago

I've had tile, granite, Corian, honed cultured marble and now quartz counters. The Corian and solid surface were terrific, good looking and easy to clean. We've only had the quartz for a week so it's early days on that material. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either Corian or a good cultured marble for counters.

Kristin S thanked Patti Brommelsiek
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

DD bought a house nearly 20 yrs ago with white Corian countertops in all three bathrooms. She has a messy husband and has had 2 boys in that time and it still looks great. I doubt anything else would have survived husband and boys.

Kristin S thanked Anglophilia
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm off to look at Corian tomorrow.

• lookintomyeyes83
    5 years ago

I have Avonite in my kitchen and bath.

My white avonite shower is a dream come true - grime cleans off w a scrubbie, no chemicals needed!

My green 'cat eye' bath countertops are gorgeous, still love them! Haven't tested them hugely chemical-wise yet.

I'm a teeny bit disappointed in my white avonite kitchen counters - orange/red things, and coffee appear to stain them - peppers and carrots especially if I don't clean them up immediately. Haven't tried buffing them out with baking soda or anything yet tho.

Kristin S thanked lookintomyeyes83
  • ladygibbs
    5 years ago

I have solid surface counters in both my bathrooms. My newest one is from a line called "The Oynx Collection". I love my solid surface counters with built in sinks. They are nearly impossible to damage or stain.

Kristin S thanked ladygibbs
  • patti_bee
    5 years ago

I used to squirt Fantastic on red wine stains (and others) on my Corian -- presto, all gone. Might be worth a try!

Kristin S thanked patti_bee
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Quartz is too much money for too much trend and not enough value. Love my Corian.

Kristin S thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • strategery
    5 years ago

Both are excellent choices in terms of durability and ease of maintenance. Quartz is more expensive and has fancier styles. We went with quartz.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After a trip to the showroom this morning I think I can live with Corian stylisticly. They said Corian often offers little to no savings over a midrange quartz these days. Have others found this to be true?

• User
    5 years ago

We are doing quartz in our bathrooms. I'm surprised you need so much though!

Kristin S thanked User
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It turns out they misspoke when we first me - after templating the quartz they’ll only need too. But fabrication costs are nearly as high in the bathroom because of the sinks and undermount tub.

• Ranch Mom
    5 years ago

Kristin, have you made a selection? I am in the same situation as you. In my area Corian is the most expensive. I initially wanted it but it is coming in just shy of 4x the price of solid surface installed. The solid surface material just seems so basic to me. I am considering a darker granite for my daughters bathroom only because of her consistent use of flatiron, rollers, etc.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

My wife drug me into a 5,000sf makeup store today. All I noticed was that the displays with solid packaging were gloss marble, but the cashwrap and other surfaces that had to be bulletproof from cosmetics were all Glacier White Corian. That should tell you all you need to know about your bathroom top choices.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ranch Mom - I really liked the Corian samples I got. But around me Corian (and competing solid surface products) are more expensive the quartz (or at least than the quartz we chose), so we're going to stick with quartz.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Kristen S:

So let's assume quartz is $50.00 psf and Corian is $65.00 psf and you have 20 sf. You're going to let $300.00 make your decision? One call to a tech to try to repair the quartz and you've bought stain and etch proof Corian, if the quartz can be repaired.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Joseph - the complicating factor is that in my area Corian will also hurt you for resale, particularly in a master bath. While we're not planning on selling, we try to keep an eye on that. We're also not particularly hard on our bathroom counters, and our current quartz (from the early days of quartz, when it was made to look like granite at a lower cost) still looks like new, so hopefully we'll have an equally good experience this time around.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"...in my area Corian will also hurt you for resale, particularly in a master bath."

I find that particularly hard to believe, especially considering some of the fantastic new Corian stone look-alikes and the fact that I had to point out to a lady that the countertops in the master suite of the seven-million-dollar yacht we were touring were in fact solid surface, not stone.

• KAREN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A year ago I had Cambria Quartz "Darlington" installed in my medium sized 10 x 15 kitchen w/snack bar. I had Difinity "Quartz "Cerrado" installed in a bathroom that gets a lot of use. I had Corian "Witch Hazel" installed in my laundry room 7 ft. folding counter. I love the looks of all, but Corian was just as expensive as the Difinity Quartz and I had scratches in the Corian folding counter almost immediately after installed. I am a very careful person and take very good care of everything I own. The Quartz counters are still perfect even after sliding plates, etc. over it. I am now looking at options for another remodel project and after reviews read, I don't understand how Corian holds up as well or better than Quartz and is very comparable in price. I think I will stick with Quartz but not pay the high price for Cambria brand.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I did Corian in my bathrooms. It's fine, and was less expensive, and no, I have no desire to have any hot surfaces or curling irons in there. The Corian has been there for two years and looks brand new.

I did go with quartz in my kitchen...