Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danaecannon

Painting exterior brick white- what color windows with no shutters?

danaecannon
5 years ago

We have committed to painting the exterior brick of our pinky orange house that screams 1991. I'm in a dilemma regarding the paint color (south exposure, so sun moves from east across to the west and changes the lighting. This is a winter pic, but in summer it's so shaded you can barely see the house. Greyish/green roof, tannish/grey/white stone out front. If it weren't for the stone I feel like I could pick any white! (That's dilemma #1) Narrowed down to BM Swiss Coffee, SW Aesthetic White or Natural Choice. Afraid to go too white! Should I go with grey or cream undertones? Dilemma #2: Replacement windows! There are 13 just in the front (house wraps around you can't see the entire facade here. $$ They have to be fixed vinyl because no one makes them tall enough in this faux palladian style. :( I want to stay traditional but fewer divided lites. What color windows with no shutters? Only color will be in trim and I don't want a huge contrast on our busy roofline. White windows seem boring unless set off by a medium color trim? Would Pella "Portobello" (dark bronze make it look too Spanish with the arches? Help! If anyone has photoshop skills I'd be forever grateful!

PS I will probably remove a couple of the yaupon shrubs and the boxy corner window is a dilemma for another day!

Comments (27)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

Before you get started on such major changes, you might consider looking at the economics of selling this 1991 house and buying a house that you like better. A 2018 house would have new finishes, new roof, new HVAC, etc. and would have much less prospective maintenance and repair.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Definitely bronze windows.

Don't use paint. Look into Romabio instead. https://romabio.com/

They can custom tint to match Ben Moore colors. Ballet White might be nice.

danaecannon thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Please unless you really don’t care about the value of the home do not paint the brick. Brick does not scream 1991 the style of the house is what is screaming and shutters do not belong on that house.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    5 years ago

My history on Houzz will show that I am not a proponent of painting brick. You take a no maintenance product and turn it into a long term maintenance issue. There are other things you could do. You could paint the trim a darker color. Definitely no shutters. The bronze windows with a darker trim color would be an option that could update the look of the house without the expense of painting the brick.

If you do paint the brick and the color is too close to the stone accents you have the possibility that they will clash or just look washed out.

If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers check my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Don’t remuddle that house and waste your money by painting brick. The brick is the best part about it.

• danaecannon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for ya'lls concern :) but as I said we are committed to painting it. There are painted brick homes on either side of us and it will be a good fit. We've also painted areas on the house to test. We have also looked at moving but we have done extensive interior updates (been here 18 years) and continue to do so. We are on .75 acre and the backyard is entirely landscaped. My husband has a large detached shop with a car lift in it, etc. and we can't relocate here without spending over $1mil. The current market value is about $600K. (Lots here are $375-400K acre.) We are investing another $180K here for updates. That said, I would sure appreciate help with paint color and with the new vinyl window color. As I said there are NO shutters, only trim on the window box and roof. Maybe I should post a pic of the rest of the house as this is only half of the facade. Thanks everyone!

• danaecannon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forgot to mention that the detached shop was built after the house and he couldn't find an exact match and it's pinker than the house brick so it makes it all look very pink.

• danaecannon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Husband said he can power wash the stone to lighten it up some. The stone in the backyard and elsewhere seems to be a lot lighter.

• Eric
    5 years ago

Black/bronze window frames with one of your off white suggestions.

No shutters.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

The OP has stated no shutters. Such a shame to paint this nice brick. :-(

• danaecannon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Why is it shameful if it's what we want to do?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Then for crying out loud do it and stop asking for our help since you obviously don’t want any .

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Why is it shameful if it's what we want to do?

It's not shameful.

The color of the brick is ugly.

Nobody in the next decade is going to find it appealing unless they have really, really bad taste.

It's 2018.

There are products on the market to correct unfortunate color choices in brick.

The idea that you cannot paint brick, that it's taking something with no maintenance to something with nightmarish maintenance is as antiquated as the color of the unfortunate brick.

Another misnomer is that brick is forever, totally maintenance free - it's not. #tuckpointing

You, as the owner, are able to see beyond the material (brick) to see it for what it is.

A well-built, bright orange, on-the-verge-of-circus-peanut house that has a fabulous core aesthetic, wonderful bones and is just waiting for someone to love it enough to make her pretty.

If the brick were a classic, Williamsburg-esque dark red brick, I'd have a different opinion.

But just because it's brick isn't a good reason to live with an unappealing color. It wasn't a good choice when it was new, it's not a good choice now.

Life is too short to live with ugly colors.

danaecannon thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Shocker! I like white paint here. Not a pro. Erics pic is nice. Dark bronze or charcoal. If you like it that’s all that matters. Doesn’t sound like you’re moving anytime soon or that your neighbors will mind.

• ctistinaemills
    5 years ago
    I love white brick houses, i want to paint mine as well. I’d do black windows and trim. Show pics when you’re done!
  • PRO
    Hanover Custom Homes, LLC
    5 years ago

Your house looks like it's in North Texas given the style and landscaping plants.

I don't know about in the suburbs but in the Park Cities, 9 out of 10 speculative houses this year are white painted brick houses.

Painted brick houses are pretty common in the area, often due people doing additions but couldn't find exact matching brick, so they end up painting the whole thing.

Grey and taupe colors were most common but the last 2-3 years white/beige been the go to color.

Paint on brick lasts a long time because brick doesn't expand/contract like wood. The only downside is the white/beige color will get dusty/grungy after a few years. Just use your garden hose (or power wash if necessary) on it and the house will look fresh again.

Here's a house I finished earlier this month. Color is SW Nacre. Make sure to use primer because mortar can soak up lots of paint.

Stanford #2 · More Info

Stanford #2 · More Info

Stanford #2 · More Info

danaecannon thanked Hanover Custom Homes, LLC
  • Dana C.
    5 years ago

Yes! Colleyville. I used to live in Lake Highlands and I love Park Cities. I'm considering Pella's Fossil or Portobello (vinyl fixed) windows with applied SDLs. What do you think of those? I love clad wood but no one uses those <2 mil out here. No shutters so not much contrast with the white brick otherwise..Do you have some white go tos you like to use? I'm thinking BM Swiss Coffee. Seems like BM covers better.. Kind of concerned that the arches and dark wondows might look a little too Mediterannean for me. Thank you for the reply to my post.

• danaecannon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like the suggestions for a bronze/brown colored window. We could also add a bronze guttering as there is none. Hanover Custom Homes do you mainly use Cedar garage doors or painted as well? What is the color of the front door in your photo please?

• Nice
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey you are right I think you should lighten your brick it looks better and is timeless and will bring it more up to date but I think you should lime wash it romabio has many different lime washes and natural masonry paints it allows your brick to breath and looks beautiful and it will age beautiful as well

• Kate
    3 years ago

Painting my all brick house was the best decision I ever made. We moved after 15 years and the paint looked as good as the day we painted it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

I've heard comments like that about Pella more than once. Interesting.

• Nice
    3 years ago

It’s looks beautiful I know Romabio was the way to go ❤️❤️

• Melissa Lawhon
    3 years ago

It looks great! We are looking at doing the same with our 80's brick house. What color did you end up using on the garage door?

• Dana C.
    3 years ago

Painted it the same color- still thinking about changing it to carriage style..

• Danielle Black
    3 years ago

Love it! perfect!

• Eric Weissmann
    2 years ago

Oh man, everyone was so annoying on this feed. My husband and I are doing new construction in East Texas and will be painting our brick white from day one. I think it’s beautiful and your house looks great!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals