Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Which door handle do you like best?

CaroleOH
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Trying to decide between these two door handles for our vacation condo in Florida... Which do you think would look best on a two panel shaker door? I rigged these two up on a door here at my home, so picture them against a shaker style door.

Close up pic of each.

This one below is actually sideways, so the screws will be behind the handle...it wouldn't fit properly in my existing door so had to turn it. Also i think this is the back side of the handle lol there's a locking button that you can't see behind the handle because I turned the backplate.

Comments (44)

• User
    5 years ago

I much prefer the sleeker lines of the second option. That one seems to be proportioned better. Pretty door.

CaroleOH thanked User
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

Opt 2

CaroleOH thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

#1 looks like what you find in commercial buildings.

What brand is this door handle?

CaroleOH thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Origin USA
    5 years ago

number two :)

CaroleOH thanked Origin USA
  • User
    5 years ago

CaroleOH thanked User
  • CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Option 1 is a Schlage door handle and #2 is Baldwin. I like #2 best too, but it's twice as expensive. Just wondering what others thought if it's their fav too - maybe worth the cost

• wiscokid
    5 years ago

Get the Baldwin, they're much better made and you will notice the difference in a couple of years.

CaroleOH thanked wiscokid
  • CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I posted a closeup of the first one so you can see that one better.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Ok what about this Schlage which is what I just put in my new build? I love it and it feels good too.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like that one, just would rather have the more traditional handle with that square rosette. Wish it was offered - I guess that's the more modern twist. Is your home more modern in style? Perhaps I'm over thinking this!

• Kim
    5 years ago

# 2 !

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

It’s pretty unanimous.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

My house is craftsman in style and I got that with the ORB finish because of that.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Number 1, it looks nice and it’s cheaper.

• PRO
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

I prefer 2.

Now that I scroll up it looks like most people do.

• PRO
    Stacy Larson Designs
    5 years ago

Number 2

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 years ago

I like 2 but could live with 1. The escutcheon is smaller on 2, that is why I prefer it over 1. But IRL it may not be as noticeable.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

My favorite door knob is from the Guardian Building in downtown Detroit (originally the Union Trust Building, hence the stylized UT).

But that's not available so go with what Virgil thinks.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I lean towards the second.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Thank you, Mark. I am humbled...

• stumpydarby
    5 years ago

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

What about going with one from the new Schlage Custom line? We got samples to test and found them a nice compromise between the regular Schlage and more expensive options like Baldwin and Emtek. Also, rosette and handle styles are mix and match, so you can put together the option that suits you best.

• gthigpen
    5 years ago

Of your original two options I like 2 best.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn’t know there was such an option with Schlatter. Will look into it. Thanks!

• chisue
    5 years ago

I like Dan's suggestion. I think it would feel substantial in the hand. (Important!)

The 'bend' at the end of the grip on #1 would bother me.

Our Baldwin hardware is as perfect today as it was when it was installed 17 years ago.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

The second one seems much more suited to the simple style of a shaker door. The first is a bit busy and heavy looking for my own taste.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I’m the dissenter. I like number 1. It’s more graceful looking and would be more comfortable to use.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Regarding the Schlage, it appears the name custom means nothing because the Latitude handle that I have is listed in both their "custom" line and their regular line.

Oh and looking again, it appears I got the aged bronze finish, not the ORB.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Another vote for 2.

Carole, how many handles do you need for your condo?

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

cpartist - from what I can tell, I think it has to do with the locking mechanism on doors that lock. Instead of being in the knob it's via a mechanism on the rosette. We liked that it gave the lever a cleaner look in the Latitude. I looks like there are also some lever styles that are unique to each line (like the Dempsey linked above, which is only in the Custom).

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Actually, the Baldwin handle which everyone seems to prefer - I'm showing the backside. The front only has a button under the handle for locking no screws so it is even more sleek.

Becky, we need 5 privacy, 3 passage & 1 R and 1 L Dummy. Actually, one passage is for a hall linen closet...I don't need both sides, is there an option for just one handle on the outside that actually turns? The Dummys are for my laundry double door closet. They'll just pull out.

• tayler5
    5 years ago

CaroleOH, I hope you have been able to make a decision and are happy with it.

I ran across this post as I was searching for "Schlage Lattitude Collins" as those are the interior door levers I am interested in. In searching it seems there is not great deal on price on this particular style. Amazon & Home Depot are the lowest price I can find and the same at that. cpartist may I ask where you purchased yours?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Keep in mind that Shaker style was/is extremely simple, functional and unadorned. Not at all what your first hardware illustration is about.

The second, simple lever is much closer to the simple, functional and unadorned aesthetic.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ended up with the Baldwin Federal and they look beautiful! Very solid and they do compliment the shaker door very well. I ordered the Schlage handles thru Amazon and the Baldwin thru Build.com. I would check both these sites.

• fifamom
    5 years ago
    #1 I like the flare of the handle more than the plain straight of the 2nd one.. :-)
  • Rosa
    4 years ago

Carole - I am looking at the same Baldwin handles you chose. Have they held up well ?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

I like #1. It has a little more substance to it.

• pennydbenton
    4 years ago

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

Number 1 , I like the handle shape, adds little extra character.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There aren't many available but I like to use levers with returns.

Not sure if this one is the same as the first one posted by the OP.