Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirenaeg

1950’s home design concept leaves no space for inviting layout

sirenaeg
5 years ago
My home was built in the 1950’s and was originally 968 sqft. Leaving us with a small living room & awkward entry ways. The wall with two doors has an entry to the converted garage’s 3rd bedroom (not my doing, but is being magnificently renovated to stay w/our the garage feel ) and another entry to the hall that leads to the bedrooms. The entire layout leaves a problem for sufficient furniture placement. I’d sure appreciate some help. Was thinking a sectional to face the current tv position but it almost runs into the exterior door.

Comments (16)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

What are the dimensions of the space?

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Living room is 17x 14
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Your sofa is pretty oversized for that size room. However, it may be workable if you float it in the room instead of pushing it up against the wall.

--Get a long, low console or TV setup exactly the length of the space between the two doors shown in your first photo. Put the TV over that, something like this arrangement.

My Houzz: Light and Balance in a 1950s Ranch Redo · More Info

Accentuations by Manhattan Comfort Salem Splayed Leg TV Stand, White · More Info

Tvilum Hayward 71" TV Stand in White · More Info

Make sure the console is plenty wide and really fills out that wall.

--Get a rug to anchor the space then float your sofa so it faces the TV wall. You need a rug about twice as big as what you have. You were on the right track with brown and white.

Surya Banshee BAN-3382 5'x8' Taupe, Gray Rug · More Info

--

Loloi Promenade PO-01 5'x7'6" Ivory, Gray Rug · More Info

--Get an upholstered chair for the wall where the sofa now is:

Mid Century Modern Arm Chair in Beige · More Info

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

BTW, I hope you plan on lowering the TV. Center of the screen should be at eye level when sitting, or a few inches higher than whatever console you choose.

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More than likely the existing sofa with be traded out for a sectional. And tv was place at that level because my husband wants to put in a bare wood mantel/shelve and a electrical fireplace below
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

A small sectional like this might work:

Measure carefully. A too-big sectional, or any too-big furniture here is going to be a headache.

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also thank you for the plans I will put that to use in the mean time while we hunt for the new sofa. What size do you think is ideal for New sofa? Would height we am issue as well?
  • mercurygirl
    5 years ago

Most sectionals will be too big for that space, so I'd avoid. Grover is such a big help.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Resist the siren song of the sectional. It won't be a great as you think it'll be.

An apartment size sofa and two small scale swivel chairs set on a cozy rug will provide plenty of seating for family movie nights. Add some floor pillows for those who need extra cushion when sitting on the rug.

Seriously. Do not hop on the sectional train.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

If your sofa is >84" it should float okay as long as you don't require end tables. This sofa is 81". No end tables, just sofa table, coffee table, and floor lamp.

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like your ideas. I see your point about the sectional. Didn’t know it was a trend though lol. Was really hoping to kick our feet up after a long day haha. Do you think I would be able to get away with a round coffee table or ottoman? It’s seems a bit boxy to keep all furniture square like the home. Perhaps I’m just being ridiculous
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Oh my. I just realized your user name has siren in it. I didn't say siren song on purpose. :-)

Definitely do ottomans instead of a coffee table. I have a sofa + two chair setup and I'm keeping my eye out for ottoman(s) to replace our coffee table.

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Haha I didn’t take it as offensive. I Was raised with a bunch of comedians. Thank you all so much for the help. I’m excited now that I have a visual! By the way I am going for a mix of Scandinavian/ bohemian/ rustic interior design. Very eclectic but I love the beach and love the 70’s styles!
  • PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    5 years ago

We think you can easily make this work by floating the sofa in the room facing the TV. Just make sure you are not blocking either doorway.

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · More Info

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · More Info

• sirenaeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you BANDD DESIGN!
    I do see now how that is the best layout. I just hope I can find a spot for a desk somewhere