Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Plant ID for Houston area/Zone 9a/b

javiwa
5 years ago

A few of these are cropping up in my beds. I patiently waited until one flowered before posting my query. :) Plant pictured is about 12" tall. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Some kind of Solanaceae aka a nightshade. It is a weed, but hopefully someone closer to you can ID it.

javiwa thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

many of them are poisonous ... and generous seeders.. that birds like to spread around ... [which is probably how you got it...]

the pretty grape colored berries can be attractive to little kids who dont know better.. and like to eat stuff ...

get rid of it ASAP imo ... in my garden.. exact precise ID wouldnt matter .. as i was weeding ..... though finding the ID afterwards would be approved ...

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nightshade+poisonous&t=ffcm&ia=about

javiwa thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

What NHBabs said

javiwa thanked bossyvossy
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yikes! Thanks to all. Will be sure to yank these today.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    5 years ago

The link to the search Ken pasted is going to yield a lot of information about Atropha belladonna. A truly deadly plant, vs. the various species of Solanum, which are not in the same league. Ken should know better after so much time spent here.

If you are still curious about further ID, compare your plant to Solanum nigrum.

javiwa thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I like the purple blooming nightshades that bloom in my fields when things are dying out. But then , it is a field not a garden.

javiwa thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago

I agree Mara, I've often wondered why plant breeders don't develop a line of silver leafed purple flowering garden plants from those that bloom so beautifully in our Texas fields in the hottest, driest months of the year.

javiwa thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks again, everyone. Tiffany: I sifted through a bunch of S. nigrum images and do believe that's what I have. Or, had -- yanked them a little while ago since it was a consensus the plant is in the nightshade family. Just not something I want taking up real estate in my beds. :)

Coincidentally, I just returned from visiting a lovely couple who gifted me so many wonderful things for my butterfly garden (pipevine and Turk's cap plants, Gregg's mist flower seeds), and they had a similar nightshade plant that had gone to seed: black 'berries' like the ones in the S. nigrum pics -- the mockingbirds were loving their afternoon snack.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Yours may have been planted by mocking birds or other visiting birds who ate the berries elsewhere, or like the ones in my garden, by small rodents storing food for the winter.

javiwa thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Birds would be the most likely scenario, NHBabs -- mockingbirds, blue jays and cardinals galore.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

Ragna, I just saw a huge healthy absolutely beautiful clump of profusely blooming nightshade at the nursery where I was buying my dirt. It was knock dead gorgeous. I wanted to take it home.and put that three foot wide by 1' tall clump in my dry garden. It was out in the compressed decomposed gravel parking lot. Not a stitch of shade anywhere/anytime.

javiwa thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Ken, you went and did it again ;-) You've had the 'deadly nightshade isn't a Solanum' lecture several times. Extra homework tonight.

javiwa thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Uh-oh oops...did my thread reopen a can o' worms?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago

Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center has our field growing silver leaf purple flowering one listed on their site as:

Solanum elaeagnifolium Solanum elaeagnifolium Cav.

Silverleaf nightshade,

Silver-leaf nightshade,

White horse nettle,

Trompillo,

Tomato weed Solanaceae (Potato Family)

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Yeah, from a berry. Another one of the members of the imfamous avian gift package gang. THEY'RE WORLDWIDE!

javiwa thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Solanum elaeagnifolium is certainly a beautiful specimen, wantonamara and roselee.

Jay: LOL!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Javiwa, don't worry. Ken's used to the forum school marms after all these years.

javiwa thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    5 years ago

Javiwa, it's not your fault there's a member here who has some confusion and wrong ideas and will not let go of them even after being presented with corrections numerous times. You did nothing incorrect or unconventional, quite the opposite, it's been an interesting discussion and I love it when we get a follow-up about what happened to the plant being ID'd. I would have done the same thing if the same plant appeared in certain areas of my yard.

javiwa thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • javiwa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Tiffany. After a fairly long hiatus with the yards (keeping the lawn mowed and perennials watered/fertilized/alive -- and, for the front yard, up to HOA code :) ), I returned full force this year and focused on nectar and pollen plants for the butterflies, hummers and bees. Because so much of our beds are taken up by hardy perennials (which I'm loathe to dig up -- and I'm specifically talking to YOU, 20 y/o gardenia monster bush that thrives despite receiving no care whatsoever, with short-lived annual blooms that succumb w/in 24 hours to heat and thrips!), I don't have a ton of space for 'undesirables'.

Given how widespread the birds appear to scatter this nightshade variety's seeds, I'm not worried I'll negatively impact the species: I went ahead and yanked 3-4 yesterday. Most of my beds are mulched, so no seeds sprouted there. I happen to have one bare spot where a tree used to be. Since we're just waiting for the stump to completely die before hitting it with a grinder, I didn't bother mulching that small ring of dirt.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

I have many of the silver leaf nightshade plants growing on my wildflower filled hillside. One of the few plants blooming well currently on the dry caliche hillside

javiwa thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • Vulture61
    5 years ago

Yeah, I’ve seen them growing in caliche ang gumbo soil. You can see them growing by I-35 from Georgetown through SA.

Omar