Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocohuang01

new build, what to upgrade and what not to upgrade with builder?

d d
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is my first time buying a new house, so the process of choosing what to upgrade and what not to, what materials goes with what is overwhelming to me.

Here are some upgrade items not sure if I should upgrade with builder, or if I shouldn't upgrade at all, e.g. the glass cabinets in the kitchen

• Undercabinet puck lights ($1980, 4 double doors, 3 single doors)?
  • Glass cabinets in servery area and glass shelves and inside pucklights($1500, 4 glass doors and shelves)?
  • Having 24x24 tiles in the mud room ($800), maybe I should just go with default 12x12 tiles which does not cost me?
  • Ensuite, floor tiles has same tile but of different size, i.e. 24x24 pocelin vs 24x12, porcelainnow designer choose 24x24 for me, if I were to go with 24x12, it will save me $400
  • Hardwood floor? a low level oak (3 1/4'') ($8000 for 720sf). people say it could be cheaper if I do hardwood floor later on.

Here are some items I am on the edge of to upgrade of not (I've went over my budge):

• Staircase from main floor to basement ($4800)? I chose a circular open to above and below style stair, for now, I only asked to finish the circular staircase from main floor to 2nd floor
  • Powder room tub or shower? I added a tub to powder room ($3100), if I should upgrade to shower (another $2000)
  • 2nd floor 9ft ceiling ($5200)

Another question I am debating is if I should put hardwood floor or 24x24 tile in the kitchen and breakfast area? This area is connected to my family room.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (10)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

The one item that will make the most difference in your resale and your daily enjoyment of the house would be the powder room tub or shower.

d d thanked armchairshopper
  • lizziesma
    5 years ago

Powder room usually doesn't have either tub or shower. Doing the hardwood now? I would avoid the hassle, dust, etc. of doing it later. Which decisions most affect your daily life?

d d thanked lizziesma
  • latifolia
    5 years ago

You can’t add 9’ ceilings later.

d d thanked latifolia
  • Trem Wills
    5 years ago
    Do the 9’ ceilings now for sure... hardwood can be done later if there’s a significant price savings. It’s really not that inconvenient.
    Upgrade tile only if you love it.
    d d thanked Trem Wills
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

Go with the 12x12 in the mudroom. Is it necessary to have glass cabinets in the server area. The 24x12 tiles in the Ensuite should be fine. You can add hardwood later - and it can be prefinished. I'd get a few quotes on this now and decide what to do. As stated, a powder room only has a sink and toilet, not a shower or tub.

d d thanked shirlpp
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

its such a pain in the patoozle to do flooring later... as in, where do you put the furniture while thats happening.

i'd skip the tub/shower in powder room unless you have relatives come and stay for months in a row. some families do that.

12 x 12 tiles in mudroom, there is every chance that large format tiles will go out of style in the next cycle anyway, no sense of paying for them in the mudroom.

i cant see a reason for 9' ceilings on the second floor.

d d thanked Judy Mishkin
  • sofikbr
    5 years ago

9' on second floor for sure. Powder room to full bathroom definitely plus, but no for shower upgrades. $9 for sf for hardwood is ok for very expensive wood not basic. Just ask to credit you for basic material and hire someone else to install wood everywhere except bathrooms and laundry on first floor.

d d thanked sofikbr
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Go with the larger tile if you love it. I have 12x24 and it is just fine, but if you really love the larger format so if as redoing tile is a mess and a pain (and costly).

You can do hardwood later but how much later are you talking? If you can wait 10-15 years sure but you are paying for new floors now, adding hardwood soon after those new floors are a thrown away cost and if you go with site finished floors it is a bit inconvenient while you are living there.

Also, don’t forget to factor in cost and inconvenience of removal of old floors. It often does not work out to be cheaper after all...labour is expensive too.

What do you mean by circular stair? Like winders? Honestly I would not do them on either floor. It’s really easy to end up with a broken tailbone on stairs like that...I am surprised I survived my childhood home at times!

I did put in a walk in shower surround on my main floor though I don’t have an official bedroom there (so have small office) for many reasons personal to me, but powder rooms generally don’t have that. It was an important upgrade for ME, but many would not see it that way. Also meant I ended up with a large 4’ vanity and such instead of a small powder room so I am pleased with it. But you already went to a tub so what about making sure it is a tub/shower and adding a curtain or waiting and putting glass doors on later if you want?

I have 9’ ceilings on most of main but 8’ on second floor. We chose many upgrades but specifically chose not to do that one, as our bedrooms and den - our “cozier” places are up there (we also kept 8’ in our basement) Keep in mind if you add 9’ upstairs and also want to say add tile surround to ceiling you add more costs etc. I personally find 8’ ceilings for bedrooms and other private spaces to be preferable as they feel cozier and inspire one to sit or lay and relax if they are moving into them and especially so in an open floor plan where there are less such “cozy” nooks in common areas. Rooms if smaller can also feel odd if tall ceilings to me. Also depends a bit on size of spaces overall. So this is really a personal preference issue, but it is a pretty common arrangement in my area (to see 9’+ on main floor and 8’ on second floor).

d d thanked RaiKai
  • d d
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input.

Would you suggest doing under cabinet puck light with builder? They charge me $1900 ( 4 double door pucklights + 3 single door pucklights + 2 pucklights inside one glass cabinet + 2 switches)?

And would you suggest to upgrade cabinet glass shelves with builder? ($777 for 1 double door + 1 single door +1 corner cabinet)