Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_lynn

Leathered granite

Patricia Lynn
5 years ago

What kind looks best with light oak floors and white cabinets in an open concept transitional kitchen?

Comments (15)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

Do you have any samples that you are considering? If so, post photos.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You have so many choices! Most granite slabs can be leathered.

In my area of the Upper Midwest, leathering raised a slab one level in price. I knew I wanted a leathered finish which is NOT easy to find in my area so I found a level two slab I liked and had it leathered at the wholesaler before shipping to my local fabricator. This was a bit of a risk since I had never seen an example of that particular granite leathered, but it turned out well. The fabricator could have sold my slabs many times over as they sat in his shop.

Be aware that the look of some granites can change dramatically when leathered or brushed especially some level one granites. I am not a real big fan of Uba Tuba granite, but I recently saw a gorgeous leathered slab and asked what it was because I did not recognize the stone....couldn’t believe it when it turned out to be leathered Uba Tuba.

Good luck hunting for your perfect slab!

• tatts
    5 years ago

I dislike leathered finish for a practical reason. You can't just wipe it off and make it clean. Grease is particularly hard to clean. The rough surface just increases the hassle of cleaning.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

I have had absolutely no problem cleaning my leathered granite....I have never read a complaint about it either. Most people who have it love it.

Brushing gives a bit mote texture; thus some granites might end up more textured than others.

Also, most granites are sealed. I just use a soapy dish cloth and dry.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

sigh. why won't people post pictures of their space?

any type will go. have no idea what colors you have in your house, so pick something that matches what you have.

leathered granite is not difficult to clean. It's not like it has pits. as mentioned, honed or brushed is another option.

here is leathered Fantasy Brown, Cielo Quartzite and black granite

honed-snow white granite (aka River White)

• vinmarks
    5 years ago

I have brushed and it cleans up just fine. I love my counters.

• vinmarks
    5 years ago

skmom I have steel gray as well. They called it brushed not leathered. Not sure what the difference is but it looks identical to your counters. We have gotten so many complements from people about the counters. Many are not sure what they are.

• hiccup4
    5 years ago

following

• skmom
    5 years ago
    @vinmarks, leathered and brushed is the same thing. Apparently there is no industry standard for the name of the technique to get that finish. :)
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

I was told that brushing gives more texture than leathering since leathering includes some polishing....maybe a fabricator will weigh in on leathering and brushing. Oh well, I know I love the texturing of both. Every tradesperson who got in my kitchen kept “petting” my counters as they asked me what it was.

Leathering softens the look of any granite; and in the case of my stone, minimized the look of some scattered, dark-reddish garnets that the polished finish accented which was a good thing since those reds were not my fav.

Another plus of leathering is minimizing undercab lighting “dots”; the only dots I see reflect off my cooktop surface.

• J J
    5 years ago
    skmom, I love your kitchen! wow
  • milesdog
    5 years ago

I agree with what was said above. You have to decide what works best for your space and cabinets. The style that I may love might be totally wrong for your tastes. I can say that we love our recently installed Aqua Grantique in a honed (leathered) finish. We love the long veins and look of soapstone. Everyone comments about the stone's texture. It feels so natural and warm. We have not had any difficulty with cleaning as I wipe it down with soapy water.

Aqua Grantique Granite Countertop · More Info

Spec House to Craftsman Makeover · More Info

Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

milesdog...that's a beautiful stone. i found one polished.

• milesdog
    5 years ago

Beth H . . . we looked at both polished and honed but really preferred the honed look at feel. We felt the honed went better with what we were doing in our kitchen. Very satisfied with our decision.