Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Weeds Are as Bad as I Have Ever Seen Them

organic_kitten
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

How about your area? I somehow had been not seeing them as I worked with the new plants, but my eyes focused on them yesterday and I spent a couple of hours clearing some of the worst out.

True, Only minor beds in the daylily beds themselves by and large, But other areas, and the rock bed plus the best section of the old iris bed had plenty of them. The Munson bed was over-run. I still have a few hours and I have got to get mulch on the weeded areas or they will rebound.

The other side of the coin is that the new plants have grown like "gangbusters" in their pots and don't seem to notice when they are planted.

Gardening surely is a lot of work, but fortunately, I do find weeding calming, so that is good.

kay

Comments (16)

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Yes, Kay. Weeds are everywhere and sadly, they always will be.

Last several years it was the violets here. I finally got rid of virtually all of them last fall. Of course some are growing back. But the nut sedge has gone crazy & I had to spray it. And in the yard I have a weed that in the fall has tiny pink seeds on them. They overran the back yard this year [which is where most of my daylily beds are], killing everything by crowding them out, even other weeds. I don't usually treat the yard, just mow. But I sprayed these weeds so they don't end up in the daylilies.

I wouldn't mind weeding so much if it didn't hurt my back so much.

• Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

I've been under the weather for the last couple of days and with the humidity and high temps, I've stayed inside. Ventured out only to water the new shrubs and the daylilies I moved a couple of days ago. I'm sure those nasty weeds are creeping back in. I have a huge pile (really huge) of mulch that was delivered last week waiting for me to distribute around. The lawn needs mowing but I have no desire to do it in 90+ temps. Hoping for rain here as we are getting very dry again.

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

My daylilies are not terribly overrun, but my poor iris bed looks awful. Every year I fight mostly grass in the iris bed, some type of annual grass I think. Last year I bought some grass killer that you are supposed to be able to spray over the top with no harm to the iris. I tried it, did not affect the iris, but did not affect the grass either. It said that it might take a couple of weeks to see a difference. By then the grass was as tall as the iris. This year I tried it again, spraying it much heavier, thinking I was being too careful last year. Same thing. Unfortunately, I recently realized I forgot to add the surfactant. Maybe that is the problem. It came highly recommended, so I assume it is all me and not the chemical.

• shive
    5 years ago

Nancy - Your problem might be the temperature. Most herbicides won't work once the temps reach 90. Others won't work when temps are 85 or higher.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I think you are right, Debra. I read this and went to check. I had read where temps needed to be over 60, but it did not list the high temp at the same place, so I missed that. Thanks! I need to make my own notes for mixing this stuff up.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Nancy, we have found that if the grass is mature and flowering, the grass killer won't affect it. It has to be in the active growing stage for it to work. I had not heard that it doesn't work over certain temperature.

Our weeds--nutsedge, Asiatic day flower especially, have about taken over the place. We have been so busy planting that we haven't had time to weed. And so many of our weeds aren't killed by round-up or other weed killers. I think the solution to our weed problem is to downsize--just too many daylilies to take care of.

Nancy

• User
    5 years ago

The weeds are INSANE this year in my yard! TOO HOT and HUMID to be outside and when it was not the high heat and humidity it was the RAIN! Weeds in the beds and in the lawn and growing out of the house. I have given up. I am spending most of my time at a beach or in a pool. The he// with the weeds! Seriously, I think they are growing faster than in the past.

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I think they are getting smarter. They seem to lie in wait til I am busy, or ill. This year we were helping my son get his house ready to sell, then I hurt my knee and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks. I had sprayed before all that, the grass was starting to grow, but not flowering. It just continued growing, and started flowering a week or so later.

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Brad , I hear you ! We too are having a time with Polygonum persicaria aka Lady's Thumb, Persicaria Redleg, Spotted Lady's Thumb , Adam's Plaster . ( weird names for the same plant).

This stuff is only one of the many many weeds I am fighting here . I had one weed ( not sure of the name (when I find out I will post it here ) that covered over a 4 foot area . I thought it was a bunch of individual plants but when I got around to tearing it out ......it was all one plant . I couldnt believe it ! We wont even talk about Creeping Charlie.

Also fighting the pretty blue Commelina and Sow Thistle but the absolute worst of all is a gorgeous tall blue bell flower called Campanula rapunculoides aka Creeping Bell Flower aka Zombie weed . OMG , this stuff has established itself here and I doubt I will ever be rid of it . It is beautiful but sooooooooo invasive !

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

I've pretty much abandoned the parts of the garden that aren't daylilies. I figure I'll be moving that other stuff out with only the few exceptions. At this point, I am able to keep the weeds in check in the daylilies simply because except for one bed that was planted in 2015, they've none of them been in place more than a year now. Next year may be a different story!

Alex

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I suspected we were all dealing with the "Weed Invasion" everywhere. It souds as if we are. I am with you, Nancy, but I never seem to manage to downsize, just to change out plants. Chamberbitter is the bane of my yard...looks like tiny to small mimosa trees. You can kill it with strong specific herbicide, but unless you mulch thickly, it returns. And it has as many lives as the proverbial cat. And Brad, I am once again killing off a few violets too. and the devilish vines! VirginIa Creeper goes everywhere and you have to be fast o stop it. Arghh!

kay

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

So I have a name for a couple of weeds--creeping charlie and lady's thumb. I got rid of most of creeping charlie last year with the violets, though there is a little here and there to contend with.

• Jeanne
    5 years ago

Kay, I sent you the shipping fee for Pink Gingham, I don't know if you will receive my private message, Houzz seems to drop the ball sometimes on messages. Thank you for your kindness, Jeanne

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are welcome.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actully managed to get a couple of badly infested with weeds beds cleared today. Now if I can just get them mulched, I will be in much better shape.

kay