Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seashell456

Help with great room layout and design

seashell456
5 years ago
Hi all. I need some help furnishing and decorating our great room. This is the main hangout and tv watching room in the house, so I’ll say that here, comfort takes priority, as we don’t entertain a ton, but I’d still like it to look decent since it’s part of an open layout.

Right now you can see it’s plain. I’m finding it hard to lay out due to openness and also high ceilings. We plan to replace the couches, coffee and media furniture, but keep the kitties :). Also we will at some point paint/stain the stair rail. The room gets a lot of light. Walls are SW Agreeable Gray. I’d say we like the natural kind of style that I see a lot now, medium toned natural woods like the flooring, whites, plant greenery. I’d love to accent with the color blue, like a smoky gray blue seaside blue. Added textures would be good too. I don’t love farmhouse style.

I’m thinking I’d like a medium size sectional because I love it’s family-friendliness but not sure how to place it.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

• seashell456
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sabrina and celerygirl, thanks for the advice! And yes... the corner fireplace does make things awkward and hard to place furniture. There is really not a fantastic way to arrange furniture with it there. This is a 90s build, but my friend has a recent build and STILL has a corner fireplace. You'd think they'd have learned that people aren't big fans of them.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Can I see the stair well wall? whats that like ?

• seashell456
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RL here you go.
  • seashell456
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Don’t mind the cardboard, that’s temporary for our mischievous kittens!
  • PRO
    Camden Lane Interiors
    5 years ago

We'd switch the sofa and loveseat, or move the sofa to where the loveseat is and place the loveseat in front of the windows. Then you could potentially add more seating if you wanted.

Home - Restyled · More Info

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

I found some family rooms done in Agreeable Grey and thought they might inspire you? These are just ideas but will give you some ideas on what can be accomplished with such a neutral color.....good luck and post pics.

Textured area rug and blue ottoman

Dignified Dwellings · More Info

Neutral palette with deep stained accents

Kirkwood Hollow Transitional · More Info
    Same as above different shot
    Kirkwood Hollow Transitional · More Info

Neutral

University · More Info

Drama with accent fabic

Phoenix · More Info

Accent fabric on windows and rug with huge art on walls.

Neutral, gray, light-colored living room · More Info

Could set up with sectional instead of two sofas

the Lockwood Living Room · More Info

All neutral but for the pillow; very comfy

Our Work · More Info

Texture in fireplace black accent around the room in art, mirror, end tales, lamps

Traditional Living Room · More Info

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

First, if you enjoy watching TV you need a much bigger screen :-) If you look at screen size and viewing distance recommendations you might be surprised. Our 70" is about 14.5' viewing distance and it's so nice. Haven't been to a movie theater in years.

I've had a corner fireplace. I hate corner fireplaces. The woman who bought my home with the corner fireplace removed it! I regretted not just removing it myself. That said, I'd try the TV on the stairwell wall and put the sofa in front of the windows. Ignore the fireplace. To eliminate glare, you'll need good blinds on the windows.

• seashell456
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone and Susan Davis for the photo inspirations! benjesbride I know... people seem to have a special kind of dislike for corner fireplaces :) I don't love it but I'm stuck with it. I'd remove it but I think in my area/neighborhood a fireplace would be expected, and it would be very tough to move it. So I have to work with it.

I think if we were to get a big tv we'd need to build a space for it in our basement, maybe someday. I don't really want a gigantic one in this space :) Also perhaps it's hard to see from the photos but I don't think the tv would fit on the stairwell wall... just not enough space. We do plan to add shades to the windows, perhaps the wood/bamboo type to add more warmth.

In general I feel this room is a bit awkward... but trying to make it work :)