Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Kudos to Matt at High Country Roses

Hi folks

I can only reply to this thread while it's on the front page (since Houzz support is unable to trouble shoot why every browser and every machine can't access successive pages of this website no matter how much I clear the cache etc.). Therefore, I can't start many threads since I'll lose track of the discussion quickly, but I wanted to give a positive shout out to Matt at High Country Roses for some very quiet and effective response to feedback about his roses.

To give a plug for HCR (among the many other wonderful rose vendors), he is really responsive to customer feedback. A year or so ago, I'd dropped him a casual remark among some other communications that the Reine des Violettes I had gotten from him many years ago was the Not Reine des Violettes that's circulating - i.e. thorny and a once bloomer instead of a thornless repeating rose. I didn't hear anything back from him at the time and figured it was just a FYI on his part. This year, along with my order confirmation he sends a casual note to me that he's gotten new stock of his RdV and he's checking to make sure that this is the right rose now.

So this shows a couple of wonderful things that you only get from a small company that puts the roses and customers first - he remembered and paid attention to this feedback, he actually DID something to fix the situation, he remembered who had raised the question, and he independently got ahold of me to let me know he'd acted on this feedback. Plenty of bigger organizations with a corporate mentality that happen to sell roses do not make these kinds of sensible and customer-friendly responses. That alone would get me to give HCR my business, along with many other rose vendors that have similar commitment to the products they sell. Beyond that, Matt sells a high percentage of roses that will survive in my zone 5 climate, and he has some unique Canadian and once-blooming roses that no one else sells too.

I think his annual 20% off sale is still on and he always sends high quality roses that thrive in my yard. They're bigger than band size roses - I think quarts - and they take off well in my yard being nicely rooted and healthy when they arrive. I ordered about 30 roses this fall for shipment in the spring from High Country Roses and that's totally fine for this sale. Matt sent a confirmation and I can confirm that spring delivery is just fine to wait till 2019. So cold zoners, order to your heart's content! Let's keep another of our great small rose vendors selling these quality roses.

Cynthia

Comments (31)

• mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago

Cynthia,

Thanks for the info. Having interacted with Matt I suspect he was horrified at your note and worked diligently to find another specimen so that you would have the right rose.

I was down there this summer and had admired a rose that he indicated was mislabeled and that they had just found the problem yesterday. He offered it to me for free as he said he couldn't take cuttings from it unless he was positive. He thought it was Amiga Mia. It does in fact look like Amiga Mia. I admire his quest to make sure everyone gets what they think they are getting.

He also has an amazing memory for what has been ordered. When we are touring through his green house he immediately can tell me when something has been sold or spoken for among his inventory.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I concur! I love this place and so adore Matt. When I've visited there the past two years, he couldn't have been more helpful. I was beginning to feel a little guilty taking up so much of his time. His assistant is also as sweet as he can be. They LOVE roses, obviously, but it's a passion, not just a business. I ordered six with my Xmas gift certificate and hope I get another this year! : ))

Sheila, I saw the Agnes mother plant in flower and was so impressed, although her scent is unusual due to her R. foetida parentage, I suppose. Here is the man himself! Click to enlarge.

Cynthia, do you get notified when people reply to your threads? When I click on comments from my email it takes me directly to the comment whever it is in the thread. Perhaps you don't have that feature turned on?

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

High Country Rose deserves that well earned praise. Nice of you to mention them.

I’ve been able to find past posts easier doing a google search.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    5 years ago

Three thumbs up for HCR and Matt from me too. It was only last year that I ordered from them for the first time and it was a gift for my friend. The roses were healthy and much larger than what you would expect from a band size. My friend was very, very happy! I already started making my own wishlist for the next year. I also spoke to Matt and all these praises are no exaggerations at all, he is very kind and clearly cares for his customers. What a pleasure to order from such a trustworthy and wonderful nursery!

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Found many roses on his website that I have been looking for years! I ordered a couple at sale prices to see if I can overwinter them in my greenhouse but if not, then I will place another order for spring. Thank you!

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked lkayetwvz5
  • mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago

Ikayetwvz5, I think you can order them with a delayed delivery date. Then get them in the spring, even during the sale. You may want to call them and change your order.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

As mmmm said you can order now for delivery in spring.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

Yes, I ordered for an April date.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for joining me in the praise of HCR and Matt! Mmmm it's good to hear your personal feedback about visiting directly with Matt at his nursery, and I certainly didn't mean to horrify him with my remark. Everyone gets stock that isn't what you think it is, and I respect his very prompt response to the comment. In fact, I regret not letting him know sooner when I discovered the discrepancy, but I got distracted by other things.

Vaporvac - thanks so much for the picture and additional encouraging words about his terrific roses. I love to have a visual image of folks I communicate with and this is a great image to work with.

I also appreciate the advice to have the notifications through email of comments to my threads come through email and if I get desperate I might do that now and then. I already get about 120 emails a day through work, and my work is never really done, so I'd hate to get flooded with emails when I can't deal with them at the moment. Some days I do nothing but respond to emails and associated crises and I don't want to add to that if I can help it. The beauty of GW is that I can log in and visit with all of you when I get the time to spare, and with the technical issues I just can't.

Back to the topic at hand, it's good to hear more news of great experiences with HCR from Sheila, lkaytwvz5 and Patty. HCR isn't just for cold zone gardeners either, it's just that he seems to "get" cold zones and roses that grow well here.

Cynthia

5 years ago

Cynthia, i sometimes use another email account for this sort of thing so as not to clutter my work email. ; ) I understand completely. Another thing about HCR is one never knows who one will meet there! The first time visiting, I started a conversation with another customer and it ended up being mmm12 with whom I'd been discussing roses here on the forum just the prior week! I don't even live in Co. and she just decided to pop in that day! That was as thrilling as seeing HCR for myself and meeting Matt. I could talk to rose people forever, I'm so bad! Everyone else always moves on to the next subject! : )

• User
    5 years ago

HCR is wonderful! How I wish I could go there in person. But I ordered 3 roses in their fall sale, for deliver in spring: Christian J, Wenlock, and Indigo. I'll probably add more to my order - love the way Matt makes it easy to add on! Great plants at a great price, and always so nice to deal with!

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked User
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I love Matt and HCR! I agree, super easy to add on orders, awesome to to talk to and order Rose's from. I've never had a issue with them and always get surperb roses!

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked Alana8aSC
  • mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

For those who haven't been this is what it looks like inside the green house right now. Lots of healthy roses.

This picture has Amiga Mia in the foreground.

A close up of the Amiga Mia. This is one I added this year. Mine has some buds coming in but the greenhouse starts were in full bloom.

I was quite taken with Quietness (out of stock but heavenly smell and available next year)

and Tintinara (not yet available on the web site. Maybe next year? I didn't think to ask.)

Every time I go Children's Hope starts are blooming up a storm but I've never bought it. Starting to wonder why.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Just got in my sale order from HCR today - they are everything I expected and more - so fresh and green, were mailed this week. They look like they will take off when I repot them. Matt is the nicest man - so friendly and helpful - I will most certainly be making another order from him - this sale was great! I tried some roses I have been wanting to get. If anyone is thinking of ordering, do so with confidence - you will be thrilled!

Judith

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

I've considered Children's Hope every time I've gone as well! It's so much more beautiful in real life than any pictures I've seen. Matt said it's a Bloomer as well.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I was happy to see Amiga Mia, a rose I'd heard about for many years but never seen except on HMF. My Quicksilver is from this nursery, and I can't wait for it to bloom.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Nice to hear about Childrens Hope. That's one I have been eyeing as well

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked Alana8aSC
  • mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago

Ingrid,

Here is my Amiga Mia this morning. It is a spray of three but only one is opening.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures mmmm12! You've given us even more reasons to drool over High Country Roses' offerings.

Cynthia

• mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago

Does it tempt anyone to take a vacation in Colorado? You can probably go to the green house any time of year, even in the winter. You just need to call in advance to be sure there is someone there at the time you want to visit. I bet Matt would work around anyone's schedule to make sure there was someone there who wanted to visit on vacation. I've never been in the winter so not sure what the blooms would look like. But it is an interesting question and I may visit over the winter just to see.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Cynthia,

I am considering Reine des Violettes and wondered how yours is doing on repeat blooming and cane hardiness. Also how fast does it grow? Any full bush pictures?

4 years ago

Your comment must have been fate, mmmm12, as it led me to reread the entire post and find Ingrid's comment about Quicksilver buried within it. I've been going on about this rose, but haven't bought it as I like to only get from a couple of vendors to save on shipping. I had hoped to get it from Lowe's, but they are not getting in the "good" roses at the moment as their shelves are flooded due to Covid. As luck would have it, I had already ordered a goodly number of roses from Matt so emailed to see if it was too late to add it. Please keep your fingers crossed. I may still get another grafted one from Lowe's later in the season, but would feel much better to at least have one going in this year for certain. Please keep your fingers crossed that the other roses haven't shipped!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Good luck! It may be he has a cancellation that hasn't been added back into the inventory.

What roses do you have on order? I've been asking other cold zoners and getting a good education on possible roses.

Too bad no Colorado trip this year. I was looking forward to the possibility of showing off my garden and a joint trip to HCR to check out the options.

I also enjoyed rereading the thread. I didn't realize I had photos of Tintinara posted here. I do remember it was a real head turner and of course now you can get it at HCRs. At the time I took the photos it was a 'next year rose'.

4 years ago

That's more in a bit I'll comment more in a bit but he has Quicksilver listed right there. How did I ever miss it?

• RRfromR Zone7 VA
    4 years ago

When is the 20% sale? I'm a (very) beginner gardener and ordered three last year, in late October. I received basically some small twigs, so I didn't have high hopes. I can't believe they are blooming already.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yeah, they catch up quickly! I think you can get a discount if you sign up for the newsletter. mmmm12, I did get a Quicksilver! Also, Guirlande d'amour, Victorian Memory, Felix LeClerc, Earth Song, Golden Wings, Lemon Zen and a replacement La France. What three roses did you order RR?

• RRfromR Zone7 VA
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, I ordered Edith's darling, kiss me kate and earth angel. Now I want 10 more, of course. Lots of them are out of stock, so hopefully they'll be back in the fall.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

RR,

I too was amazed how well a small band does from HCR. We are in Colorado so almost all our roses are from them.

However I joined the American Rose Society and got a coupon for a free bareroot rose from Witherspoon. Which we just got. The difference between digging a hole for a grafted band vs an own root bare root or larger rose is huge! My husband does all the digging but for us from now on we will stick to the bands.

I have Neil Diamond, Easy on the Eyes, Souvenir de St. Anne's and Candy Land that I am picking up next week. Can't wait!

4 years ago

Just FYI, HCR also has special gift certificate in the fall that's 25% off with delayed shipping til Spring if desired. So you could get $100 of roses for $75! However, if you want something now it might be best to get it going and then it will look like something next spring. 20% is a still a great deal. However, I'm a bit impatient once I know I want something!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Also if you join the American Rose Society you get a 15% discount at High Country Roses every time you order.