Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Mamapinkys New Maytag Front Loader

mamapinky0
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm on the phone now, on hold with J.B Hunt scheduling delivery of my Maytag Front loader. Ohhhh I'm soooo excited. I've really missed using a FL'er To Be Continued. ....

Comments (62)

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Couple weeks ago we got an urgent overnight delivery (FedEx) at work. Target time "by 1:30 p.m." on Saturday. It arrived at 1:29 p.m. per the tracking signature.

• hisown
    5 years ago

I'm so happy for you MamaP! I hope this is your best washing machine ever.

• Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    Hey mamap, My SQ got delivered today!!!!! Yay.! Always fun to try new things. Have to set it up yet.
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hisown...hay nice to see you! ! Thank You. I have a feeling this will be my best machine yet.

Kim congratulations on your new Speed Queen. I wish you 30 years of clean clothing. Please let us know after its hooked up and your running your maiden load. Soooo exciting.

I plan a first load of white sheets. I'll set up a comfy chair and have popcorn and a Coke.... and settle in for the show. I wish you could all be here but I will take pictures.

The Roper is going into my storage in the morning after draining the pump of course and putting a letter inside that the pump was drained and please add water to the tub before starting.

Boba I did go over to AW and read the posts of Frig and his Maytag. ...sounds like a winner.

Too bad American washers don't do a profile wash which would make this washer. ...perfect. but a cool prewash when needed works for me. Lol.

• boba1
    5 years ago

This may not be a 100% definition of a profile wash, but it's always yielded amazing results for me. Selecting hot or sanitize wash temperature and then selecting the steam for stains option, the washer will fill with luke waerm to warm water and heat it to the hot or sanitize temp you selected. Heavy Duty will implement more steepped heating process.

I cannot wait to get home from work tomorrow and see if you've posted anything.

• doreycrouse
    5 years ago

Boba1 is correct. When running a steam cycle it will perform a stepped wash cycle. I always add about 2 gallons for the steam portion as it basically provides a VERY hot first rinse.

• Cavimum
    5 years ago

Pictures, please, mamap?

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Looking forward to your full review and pictures!

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Hoo-Ray!

• doreycrouse
    5 years ago

Cant wait for "bobload" reviews and pics!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm pacing and waiting for the truck to pull in. The Roper is out. Mike is in the laundry room doing a quick wipe down of the walls. Would have been perfect opportunity to clean dryer but it was done weeks ago. Once Mikes done I'll clean the floor. I'll be glad to get the Duet out of the dining room. Lol. I hope these folks do a quick drain/spin/extra rinse so we can be sure about balancing. I have my doubts they will. Whirlpool hired them to deliver and install not run a test ...in my mind a quick test run should be part of install.

I will let you all know when it arrives.

Thank You! !!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Please Welcome

BOB-DOES!!!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A load of white sheets already going.

Sanitize, extra hot, extra heavy, max extract. 4Tablespoons Oxydol with Biz. No STPP, No boosters, no fabric softener.

I forgot to check the timer when it first started so I'll do that later.

I feel the slightest bit of heat on the outter glass which I never felt on the Duet.

Suds are very low so far.

Its an attractive machine.

More later.

• Cal
    5 years ago

Nice machine! Excited for you and can't wait to hear the results!

• linus2003
    5 years ago

Wow so happy for you. So much fun you will have now and so much easyer than the roper❤️

It is an attractive looking machine if on can say that about washingmachines.

Happy washing

Love Björn

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

Congrats MamaP.

I'm sure you'll post a review soon.

Jeff

• boba1
    5 years ago

Yippeeee!!!!

• georgect
    5 years ago

Mama my Electrolux window gets REALLY good and warm when sanitising.

• cooper8828
    5 years ago

Who wants to bet that by sunrise tomorrow everything in the house has been washed? I totally see this turning into an all-nighter! :)

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Congratulations Mama!!!!

I'd love to learn about how well this machine rinses. And I'm really curious if it spins between the rinses on the normal cycle. Also, I'm surprised there's no quick cycle.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Enjoy!

• MizLizzie
    5 years ago

This is so exciting. Not sure what that says about my life . . . but there ya have it. Anxiously awaiting the Bob Report, Pinky.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have done some laundry but was unable to sit and study yet. My first load, the sheets I did using sanitize. The front and side of the washer had a hint of heat that never progressed warmer but that's no indication of the actual water temp. I did do an extra rinse using drain/spin extra rinse. The water was crystal clear and zero suds it also uses a ton more water adding an extra rinse this way. The sheets were white and smelled fresh and felt well washed and well rinsed.

The second load was my asthmatics, Chips and Tims hoodies ranging in colors of light greys, light blue...just basically light to med light colors. There were a total of 9. I used 6 Tablespoons of Tide powder, and Downy Free. Allergen cycle this time. This time the front and side of washer got super warm actually hot it also used much more water to the point if the door could have been opened it would have spilled out.

I hope to be able to actually study some of the cycles tomorrow.

Greeny I'll do a normal cycle tomorrow and let you know if it spins between rinses. Im also curious about this. I'm also surprised there's no quick cycle which comes in handy sometimes.

As far as rinsing...so far two loads and the rinse on both was excellent and you can see I'm not stingy on detergent dosing. I'm super pleased and more than satisfied with rinsing so far.

By the way the kids super dirty expecially around the cuffs and smelling like.... well...kids smell when running and playing in my wet field. LOL... came out clean, bright and smelling fresh.

Another thing both loads were washed in scented detergent but not even a hint of scent remained. ..good rinsing.

I'll update soon.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

I am so happy for you!! Enjoy your new washing machine! Great to hear the rinsing is that good. Yay!

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Sounds really promising! I'm looking forward to hearing about the normal cycle.

• whirlpool_trainee
    5 years ago

Congrats on the new washer!

Hm, sounds like the Sanitary cycle still remains the same "semi-hot" one as before; but I'm glad to hear Allergen gets nice and hot. Looking forward to you trying Power Wash and maybe the detergent cartridge with its Power Spray.

Alex

• enduring
    5 years ago

Happy that you have this machine up and running. Looking forward to more info on the cycles. Congratulations on what sounds like a good machine.

• armjim
    5 years ago

I bet you are happy to have this ordeal behind you. Enjoy your new machine. Very encouraging that the company made good on their promise. That's the way it should be in all business transactions. Are you encouraging your grandson's to go outside and get dirty so you will have more to wash?

• boba1
    5 years ago

MamaP, how are things going? I hope in your excitement, you're not caused yourself to fall into a relapse of the flu.

• mommyoftwolittles
    5 years ago

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new machine, also!

How much laundry can you fit into the washer?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bob, lol. Sorry. No I'm fine. I tried a few times to post but kept losing WiFi signal I was at hospital many hours over the weekend. I posted a few things in another forum but everytime I tried here I lost signal. No laundrys been monitored this weekend. I had Chip at urgi care with asthma I couldn't control and strep throat...we were there hours..that was Saturday....than early this morning it was Tims turn. Strep and croup for this one. The season has begun.

I will get to my monitoring the cycles throughout this week. I did try to watch the normal cycle today but one of my boys stopped in so that ended that. Sometimes it feels like this is a mad house.... Diary of a Mad Launderess.

• Jody
    5 years ago

I am very interested to hear how you like your Maytag washer. The one I had several years ago was horrible, I only kept it a couple of years. Errors constantly. Wouldn't let me into the machine..I would have to get a ladder and actually unplug the thing in order to be able to get the door to unlatch. Then it would only run on certain cycles. A nightmare. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

• Cavimum
    5 years ago

In Bolzano, Italy, today and saw this store. I could not resist going inside for a quick look. The washers are smaller than our W4842!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jody, hi!

Well although I haven't had a chance to sit and watch the show....so far so good. Everything has come out clean and odor free. Everything feels well rinsed. (Knocks on wood no error codes)

I do strongly suspect my sanitize does not heat the water. I'll know for sure once I check the temp. I have a feeling some of these Whirlpool made machines were supposed to engage the heater on sanitize but than before leaving the plant they were tweaked. ..is that possible? ??

Allergen does heat the water although I'm not sure to what temp. But the side and glass door gets very warm.

Power wash I've noticed twice starts out with the timer at 3 something and 15 minutes later jumps down to 1.11. Strange. So in 15 minutes I lose almost 2 hours of time. I will run it again today.

Maybe something got shook around the way delivery handled it...they dropped it down the same two steps twice. It landed right side up but hit hard. Shipping bolts were still in. These guys were real losers. They were using fowl language. ..the f word. I said. ...hey I have children here...about a minute later the guy said it again. I did email Whirlpool about the rough treatment. ..just in case.

But Jody like I said so far everything is comming out lovely.

The interior light is AWESOME.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cavimum...your in Italy? ?? You lucky duck. Have FUN!!!!

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Maybe Power Wash is reacting to your hot water supply being hotter than expected and reducing the time for less heating needed.

• boba1
    5 years ago

If you can open the door to check for temperature when it begins draining after wash phase, then it's not heated the water enough. I believe if the temp gets above 120 then it will lock door. You shouldn't be able to check temps. Power Wash, extra hot, heaviest soil. Allergen, extra hot, and heaviest soil. Sanitize, heaviest soil (extra hot is supposed to be default). What does the time display say for each of these cycles before you push start. The one of these 3 cycles with the longest time will be your best bet. Adding steam for stains will give further heating. Depending upon cycle, water temp, and soil level also lengthens steaming period and that gets hotter. That's always been experience with my machine. I know you don't think much about steam phase, but that's also where temps get hotter during the steaming phase.

• Cavimum
    5 years ago

mamap - oops, did not mean to hijack your topic with my pic. I hope your new Maytag FLwill outperform and out-last the exploding whirlpool,,,

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

I seem to think that Whirlpool keeps all of it's temperatures too low on their washers; One reason I won't consider them for purchase. I think I read someplace of a person who complained that the sanitize cycle only used 113F degree water on one of the Whirlpool washers. Why call it sanitize if that's all it reaches? Kind of a lie actually ..if true. So now in their new models they don't even include the Allergen cycle at all. I wonder if manufacturers get even more money in the form of tax credits if their cycles exceed the water standards?

As for time reductions my oldie Miele will reduce the time once it finds it has a smallish load, however it does this after 6 minutes of tumbling. It only does this on the cottons cycle, and the rest of the special cycles stick to the planned programming. I can override this if I open the door and then close it which causes it to go back to the original plan.

Very interested to hear your experiences with your new machine, and would love to see pictures of the load in progress.

• sashanikki
    5 years ago

Love your new machine! Enjoy!

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Mama, how is the new machine? Did you have a chance to watch the normal cycle yet? I'm curious if it spins between the rinses.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Greeny just today I watched normal. No spins at all except final spin. ...and almost no water..matter of fact it was so stingy with water I ran the normal empty just to check...honestly the water ran 9 seconds. .the tub looked damp but otherwise no water. I understand it wouldn't have sensed anything but heck a cupful wouldn't have been to much to expect. I than did normal again as a cool prewash dumping a gal of water down the dispenser. Lol see my other post on what happened next.

I expected normal to be pathetic so I wasn't surprised. Wonder how many people use normal as their daily driver.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Well that's disappointing! So what cycles are you typically using? And I wonder if that extra rinse button/extra water works on the normal cycle?

• boba1
    5 years ago

Extra rinse works on Normal. WP purposely redesigned Normal with fewer spins becausee that saves water and it's the cycle everyone graviates to that's unentlightened. It was a way to save water.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Greeny. The normal cycle is where I found touching extra rinse quickly adds more water. Its not yet know if it does this on all cycles or even just at a certain time frame.

I've found myself using Allergen cycle a lot. I like the fact that it heats the the water. Lol. And uses more water during rinse. I haven't actually checked the temp on this cycle...I want to get it at mid way point of washing and just before suds cool down. I do find it strange that every cycle gives me the option of choosing extra hot except allergen cycle which lets me choose hot but not extra hot yet I know the heater engages on Allergen..at least judging by how hot the side of the washer gets.

I did not sit and monitor the complete Power Wash cycle but wow I can see this cycle cleaning even the most grungy clothing. It really does change wash patterns...and occasionally kinda rocking the clothing back and forth thru the water. But....its supposed to be the longest cycle clocking in at 3:01 if choosing Extra hot, Heavy Duty, Max spin.....but within 15 minutes or so the clock jumps down to 1:11......losing almost 2 hours in 15 minutes.

I missed Dadoes questions above and will get to them today.

Boba the day before the Maytag was delivered, after they called with delivery time I lowered my hot water heater to 125F.

I'll be back.

• Jerrod
    5 years ago

I have the idea that most people will use Normal because - it sounds like the one to use normally. It is no wonder people think front loaders don't clean or aren't any good, so little water nothing could get clean with. You have damp clothes rubbing against each other with no water to help the cleaning process or carry dirt away. No spins so that the clothes stay wet is pathetic since the dirt stays with the items too. Just YUCK. Whirlpool knows this is no way to wash clothes and it's a good thing there are other cycles on the machine that work better. The poor folks who think Normal is good to use, and the Energy star are to blame for this because they are the ones that say that the cycle to check efficiency must be named normal so that people think it is what to us.

• salonva
    5 years ago

Was curious to see how things are going with the new machine. Forgive my ignorance but what cycle do you typically select and how do you further tweak it? (you said normal should not be the normally used one:)

• Dslane78
    5 years ago

I too have the Maytag 8200 it came highly recommended. I’ve had it for 10 months now.

I do find that the normal cycle will spin and drain in between, but am wondering if it’s because i have the “steam for stains” selected along with soil level set to “extra heavy.” I also run the hot water in the sink closest to washer before starting any cycle other than allergen. One of my favorite things about this machine is the drain and spin with the extra rinse cycle. Water temp can be selected and it uses so much water that you might find the contents just rolling through. I too realized that on allergen cycle the default is hot and i cannot change it even though the manual says extra hot can be chosen.