Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caedmom419

POLL: Lipstick on a Pig

caedmom419
5 years ago

Updating old blue siding. Challenge is working with whats currently there (tan/cream stone, gray roof, orange/brown brick). Goal is to not turn this into a bigger project (i.e., paint brick, etc.). Next spring the front landscaping will be updated too. For now it's the siding decision which needs to be made this weekend. Choice is down to two Royal siding colors: A) Clay - a light taupey/greigy neutral with slight green undertones and B) Harvard Slate - a warm gray with pink/purple undertones. Care to chime in on the best choice between these two? I will try to upload pics and a video that toggles between the two. Thanks!

BEFORE (yuck):

A) CLAY:

B) HARVARD SLATE:

SAMPLES against house (eliminated bottom Brownstone color, too tan and felt outdated to me):

A) CLAY
B) HARVARD SLATE

Comments (49)

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Clay looks great!

• suzyq53
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

if the roof is gray, you're choices are too warm.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

suzyq53...this house is a mix of tones and colors. Grey roof is cool, brick and stone are warm. The clay color is a cool tone...Hard to tell on monitors, but here are chips:

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Do they have light sage green?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I agree with the poster above, a sage green would work to blend the cool and warm tones.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They have a cypress green which is a bit more "greeny" and a flagstone which is more of a grey green...

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Probably the flagstone. Or a dark gray.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flagstone reads as more of a cool gray with slight green/blue undertone. Slate is a warmer gray with pink/purple undertones.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

You def want gray undertones. Its really all about the roof and siding working together. The brick and stone just go along for the ride. Do they have a weathered gray? I tried to find the Royal colors but got conflicting information. Can you post a link?

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

like the clay, but consider a sage color

• PRO
    Anńb
    5 years ago
    Definitely A. The clay works well with the stone and brick. The purple/grey completely clashes
  • redoredone
    5 years ago

It is hard to see colors accurately in photos or on websites. Based on the photos you posted, the clay looks better on my computer.

• flopsycat1
    5 years ago

Given the choices presented, I‘d go with Clay. For a small house, there’s a lot going on. I’d simplify the facade by removing the shutters. If possible, replace the stone with siding.

Stone, brick and siding are one too many materials.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

Agree with flopsycat1....100%.

• User
    5 years ago

Definitely clay

cute house! :)

• Bette P
    5 years ago
    No shutters, clay and if that’s the only brick on the house, stain or mineral paint it to be cohesive. I just don’t like a purple undertone on a house.
  • caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tatts...I agree. I'm not sure what's underneath those pieces of siding. The clay color was chosen because I thought it would help diminish the appearance of that odd run. Are you saying it would look better to just have a flat board (painted to match siding) across the front?

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Once the landscaping is redone, I plan on planting something taller/vertical in front of that tan stone to the right of the windows so it won't be visually, part of the equation.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's a mock up of the clay. I simulated removing the horizontal siding across the front and having a flat, painted board of some sort. Added in a tall shrub to hide stone (this is not the landscaping I would choose though).I also removed the shutters as some had suggested. Not sure I'm loving the tiny, bald window look though...

• Bette P
    5 years ago
    I was thinking the same, changing the horizontal siding to wood, maybe repeat any trim detail that is at the roofline there. I don’t have a problem with the stone, unless it looks bad in person.
    Is your screen door cream or white? Is the white trim staying? Is the brick or stone elsewhere on the house?
  • PRO
    The Time 4 Design
    5 years ago

Is there another choice for siding color such as a more grey color. Also the portion over the porch with is now siding can that be changed to a white wood molding instead to coordinate with your pillars.

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    I like the stone but if you’re trying to hide it with a bush, you must not—have you thought about siding over it all so the only front materials are siding and the brick in the entry? I like the clay.
  • PRO
    The Time 4 Design
    5 years ago

Do not hide the stone on the home. It adds character. Use more upated and current landscaping

• PRO
    The Time 4 Design
    5 years ago

I would also add thicker molding to the single window and install a flower box under it. You could also place decorative shutters on that window.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Answers to questions:

1. Screen door is white

2. Brick runs along sides/back of house

3. White trim around windows is not wood, could be painted but not sure how easily.

4. Gray color: There is a light gray called flagstone, it's a light, cold gray. My neighbors house on one side is gray and the other is dark tan, so I was trying to do something a little different.

5. Horizontal wood instead of siding: I don't see why we couldn't just put wood there and paint it, It's a 18" high, so I think white would draw too much attention to it. In the mock up above in the comments, I show it in a similar color to the siding...

• PRO
    The Time 4 Design
    5 years ago

The front with the window instead of siding your could add more character with siding shakes.

• Suki Mom
    5 years ago

Clay siding with white board where that strip of siding is.

• PRO
    The Time 4 Design
    5 years ago

Removing the orange brick and adding shakes there too would be cute

• krdpm
    5 years ago

Clay

• tatts
    5 years ago

I'd add some trim to that flat board to make it look a bit more substantial and integrated into the design--possibly 1x2 or 1x3 top and bottom, then I'd frame the top of the columns so that it looks like they are attached to it.

And I'd paint it white.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mock up with white board across front...and shutters

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I think that I like the clay best. BTW your house is far from a "pig"!

There was siding that covered the original, better looking wood trim above my porch. I restored the trim. I would like to see if, when the siding strips are removed, there is space above the window that would be more attractive with less bulky trim. I wonder if there was damage done there previously that the siding strip is covering.

There is a house down the street with the very similar stone --they went with a darker slate gray on the trim, and blue on the door and awning, and it looks great. They don't have as much siding as you, but you can see that they went with a beige color. You would need to paint the brick though, to make it work. I would paint the brick before making efforts to cover the stone since IMO the stone is much more attractive.

The roof color originally was close to yours, I think, and looked good with the scheme:

• spisland
    5 years ago

Clay, while painting the shutters medium sage!

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A slightly different comparison...TOP or BOTTOM?

5 years ago

They both work well! I'm always a fan of sage, though.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Its so hard to tell on my screen. If the front is basically tan, the roof is going to look like a hat. If the siding has gray tones it will work with the roof. On my screen TOP looks like gray green; which is good. Bottom looks like warm taupe without enough gray. Also if you put lower plantings that showed the stone it would have a totally different and better balance.

• Barb
    5 years ago

I like the top with the gray green siding. I'd keep the stone and paint the brick.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Cute cottage; great potential.

If your budget is just for painting the siding, then paint both the brick and the siding the same color, choosing a color that works well with the stone -- a darker gray would work. (I'm not usually a fan of painting brick but the brick just doesn't go well with that stone.) Also, don't paint the siding above the front porch and the rest of the left side of the house. Instead, budget permitting, replace it w/white wood that will work with your porch posts. As is, it brings to mind droopy eyelids. Also consider trimming the shrubs on the right side of the house to keep them at/below the siding level.

IF, however, you are replacing the siding: neither color; instead, consider log siding -- would go well with your stone and the size/shape of the house ... create a cabin vibe. Remove the orange brick and cover that area as well.

http://www.troutcreekhomes.com/photo.php?photo=Full_Log_Siding_10_inch

https://www.loghomeshoppe.com/pine-quarter-log-siding.html

https://www.log-cabin-connection.com/install-log-siding.html

Budget and availability of product permitting, could you remove the brick and replace it w/matching stone?

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So...I have now selected a different color (Brownstone). It's a cooler, grey/tan color, changes slightly depending on the lighting. Was also toying with the idea of changing siding style to vertical, board and batten. I still hate that horizontal stretch on the left, but haven't found a good solution for it. Would it look odd to make left horizontal siding and right vertical?

• spisland
    5 years ago

James Hardie brand makes cedar shake siding that you could/should consider! Long-lasting fiber cement products and very reputable.

They have staggered and straight edge options in so many colors. Cedar shake could look great on your particular home :)

5 years ago

Have you checked under that long stretch on the left to see why it is like that? You need to, it might just have been a previous installer that didn't want to bother with fussier details, or a homeowner that didn't want to paint wood trim so covered it up (I think that was the case at my house) It really doesn't look all that great so if it can be changed it should be.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have not looked to see what's behind that long stretch. It's odd because it runs 18" below the roof line. I'll let you know when we find out! My guess is there will be nothing but structure. I cannot imagine what could've been there that would've made any sense...

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Perhaps mix vertical with horizontal? Seriously, at this rate, it'd be easier to move!!

5 years ago

I wouldn't like the mix -- you already have enough different textures! You have my sympathy though, I found it very hard to choose my new siding color last spring and still haven't found a good color for the front door.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

Flagstone looks like the best color for this home. I would leave the siding horizontal.

• caedmom419
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sativa McGee...do you mean the Brownstone? The recent color pics I uploaded?

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

Referencing this comment: Flagstone reads as more of a cool gray with slight green/blue undertone. Slate is a warmer gray with pink/purple undertones.

With your roof/stone you want a green/blue gray color.

• spisland
    5 years ago

I've been admiring your stone color; it's neutral in the best way, very attractive!

I may have missed something, but if there's nothing seriously wrong with the actual siding, I am sure I'd just have it painted to match the pretty stone.

Then I think a punchy color on the front door would be a lot of fun. If too much color to use it on the shutters, you could go one shade lighter on the color strip.

I think your home is lovely.