Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spdjak

Replace upper cabinets/put crown molding, or shelves on counter walls?

Sansan Wawa
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m selling my 1948 house (market is slowing down quite a bit in Seattle area where we live). Kitchen is not very big to begin with.

I put new cabinets and quarts countertops so the house doesn’t have to sit in the market too long. There’s misunderstanding with store where cabinets/countertops coming from. They thought there’s 6 inches soffit on top of upper cabinet (which was removed prior to installation to create more usable space). They brought and installed 30 inches high upper cabinets creating awkward looking 25 inches counter space gap between upper and lower cabinets.

We try to rationalize by thinking “Some people (prospective buyers) have taller appliances like 20 inches or so food processor or coffee maker, etc. But it still doesn’t look quite right.

I’m thinking about putting subway tiles with accent pieces to cover that 25 inches gap of counter space. My real estate agent told me with this slow market we may have to either replace upper cabinets with ones that’s 36 inches high, with this we’ll have standard 19 inches counter space. She anticipates shorter folks will have harder time putting plates etc if upper cabinets are out of reach. Or add flat 3.5 inches high crown molding to create 22 inches gap counter space (to compromise, middle of 19 and 25 inches gaps dilemma).

Replacing upper cabinets with 36 inches high will cost me $2,500. While putting 3.5 inches high crown molding will cost $2,000. I’m trying to save money by installing 46 x 10 shelves to the counter space walls. Put 1 shelf on each wall for people to put a few (smaller) plates etc. Just something practical within easy reach. Here’s the link to shelving unit I have in my mind: https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/ART/10282179/?_ga=2.256051211.1667355902.1541114147-185990750.1528485852&_gac=1.187459290.1540857979.CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEiwAO1m0ORVrkJaiuBkD-1s8mL_kGkCa3Af-VkM1R5SQrQFGn8D2Z8tvGuhfBxoCiWsQAvD_BwE

My agent thinks it’s crazy idea (too rebellious or me not understanding the reality of the market or not following the norm perhaps). That counter space gap has to be between 19-22 inches, I have to either replace the upper cabinets or put crown molding at very top. Or else this house will sit for many months.

Let me know what you guys think. I tend to think outside the box but I don’t want to get too crazy, lose reality of the market.

Comment (1)