Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sikhdeep

Need help picking a small powder room paint color

Mona
5 years ago

Hi. We are doing a basic update of our powder room and can't decide on a paint color. The powder room is off of the entryway which is painted a cream color. We are putting this sink/vanity combo without the side cabinet, brushed nickel fixtures and a 3000K LED fixture. Floor is remaining the same.

We are debating between Sherwinn Williams Townhouse Tan or Crescent Cream. Thoughts?

Comments (49)

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Have you though of going with a lighter cream or off white (non yellow undertone)(not so yellow and dark)? It really lightens up a small bathroom. You might want to wait until you get your vanity in with lights, then put up a few paint samples......

• tuckerdc
    5 years ago

Think in terms of color that is flattering for a guest (or you!) looking in the mirror. And the chips you show....sure don't do it for me.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I dont like either of the chips with your floor. Since it is a small powder room, and will be used for guests, you need a bit of wow factor in there. Those paint colors just do not do that.

Mona thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Wallpaper and, may I ask, why a $3,000.00 light fixture in a small powder room? You don’t want Mrs. Astor’s pet horse in there.

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I did pick what I thought was a wow! color which you can see in the pictures. I'm tired of it and was thinking about going more subtle this time around. If I were to go for a bold color again, does anyone have suggestion?

@judyG By 3000K I meant the color/brightness of the LED bulb, not the cost. The light fixture is around $100. Also, I have stripped 2 layers of wallpaper in that bathroom and am just leaning towards paint now.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

Instead of paint, I always prefer wallpaper in powder rooms. I would find a subtle, large patterned wallpaper in a neutral color. You will get much more impact from that then you will a flat, boring paint color.

• lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- You can do something special for a powder room ....look at Ralph Lauren Paints ... the metallic finish ...it has two light colors that will look very elegant with your entryway color . Do the ceiling and the walls all the same color ... more drama that way .

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@Mona, are you sure you can't change out your flooring? That would be the game changer.

Otherwise, a soothing, neutral color palette in a bathroom is much better with your current floors. Instead of wallpaper (which I love but it's not cheap for labor), you could do a gorgeous tile wall, but again, your floors are dated, so only do if you can revamp the entire space...

You can amp up the color with a gorgeous mirror and piece of art, rug, towels, accessories. If you could re-do your floors to something more current, then you could really do something great...

BM Edgecomb Gray, Balboa Mist or Revere Pewter would be beautiful. I'm not as familiar with SW brand.....

Mona thanked Laura Mac
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I am usually pretty neutral with my wall paint, but I love a pop of color in the powder room. It's a great space to add character to your home. My powder room is Smokestack Gray BM. I love it. The trim pops & it's such a warm cozy space.

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

@lefty, I just looked at them and WOW! Ralph Lauren metallic paints are gorgeous!!! Great idea!

@marc_rachel, your bathroom is gorgeous!

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Marc_rachel I love that color in your powder room! I worry it'll be too dark for such a small space. WDYT?

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone. Just an update. We put the vanity in the powder room to see how it fits. Looks ok, but our old vanity was white and I can't decide if the dark wood isn't great for such a small bathroom. Any thoughts? We still haven't decided on a paint color.

• lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- That is a nice vanity and no it won't be too dark for the small room. Powder rooms are usually small like yours and even smaller so this is why you do it up with some drama . Look at some on Houzz search . It can be a fum room and it does not have to go with the rest of the house . So statement wall papers and fancy paint textures and color will make it special . Put up a big fancy framed mirror and interesting big art or prints . Special hand towels and monogrammed makes them look rich . How about a sheep skin rug or a cow hind or Zebra pattern would be fun ...all faux of course . Looking forward to the finished result !

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Hi Mona, I think it's really nice! Since you aren't re-doing your floors, it is a better choice than white (which would clash with your floors). Your walls are reading bright orange in the photo, so put up a light neutral paint color and live with it for a bit. You could hang a gorgeous mirror on the bigger where the toilet paper roll is going. It would really open up the room.....

Not sure if you mentioned, are you able to redo your floors and new baseboard? If so, now would be a perfect time.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I like your vanity. So pretty! Your color options are pretty but I think you could do even better. Something that really works with your space. If creamy beige is your jam how about something like this...

A simple white or light light creamy white will make your space look gorgoeus

108 Beresford Toronto - Interior Renovation · More Info

A Glamorous Powder Room in Doylestown, PA · More Info

the floors below look similar to yours. Stain or paint could change your floors.

Transitional Powder Room · More Info

Renovating a Master Bathroom in Chicago's Ukrainian Village · More Info

Playa Del Rey, CA. Galley Kitchen Redefined + Deep Purple Powder Room · More Info

okay these floors change the space..but maybe the idea of wallpaper and a paint combo

Real Calacatta Porcelain Tile · More Info

• acm
    5 years ago

Vanity will be fine.

I'd paint the grout lines in the floor tile (using grout paint) to match some tone in the tile, as the dark grout lines are what dates it. Then go with some color that's a few shades darker than the tile but in the same tonal family. Your right-hand sample might be good, but hard to say without seeing it against the flooring.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I have 5000 LED lights in my hallway in bathroom. You can go as dark as you want if you pair it with the right lighting.

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback. We are keeping the vanity. Right now we don't have the time or budget to replace the floors, we are just finishing up our kitchen. I am definitely shopping for some fun things to put into the powder room such as a cool mirror. It won't look odd if I have two mirrors in there (one over the sink and one on the toilet paper wall)?

@acm I love the idea of painting the grout lines, I will definitely look into that. I did not know that was even possible. I have until Friday to get everything done as the contractor is returning with the plumber that day to hook up the sink/dishwasher in the kitchen and said he'll do the vanity too as long as I have it ready. So we'll see how far I get.

We finally decided on a paint color. We are going with Grape Mist from Sherwin Williams. It's a purple with a hint of gray. We will also be leaving the accent wall behind the toilet in a white, Sherwin Williams Snowbound.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would suggest painting every wall the same color. A white wall will look unfinished.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would go a shade lighter. This is SW Silver Peony.

Paint all the walls the same color. I would use only one mirror.

Put art on the other wall.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I say do a pattern wallpaper for a powder room. a black and white stripe would be very sharp.

• Lin O
    5 years ago

I just bought that same vanity yesterday love it!

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lin, I love it, too, but my sink has miniscule pits in the surface so I'll be taking it back for a new one this weekend. Do you see any of those imperfections in your sink? The floor model doesn't have them.

• Lin O
    5 years ago

Mona,

We didn’t open the box yet lol so I will have to check and get back to you. Actually the floor model they had it raised up on the wall so we couldnt see the sink piece. I went home to check reviews first before buying but Like the curved cabinet and color so went with that. We too are redoing our powder room which had ugly shell wallpaper from when we moved in 20 years ago, now looking for colors which is so hard

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Mona that paint color will be fun, but I'm still in the camp of the neutrals I posted above since you aren't changing out the dated flooring. (Sorry, I know those well since my parents have a big bathroom with exactly those). ;-P

Yes, be sure your lighting is updated. I find I personally like the 3,000-3,500 range which are the more similar to the old 'incandescent' choices -- they have at Lowe's, Home Depot and Costco. But you can see what looks best with that paint. (But with purple walls, maybe the brighter will be better....?)

Did you ask how much it would cost to replace the flooring/baseboards? Work with your kitchen guys and see what they can do for you.... ;-) Now's the time, before you install a sink. You will NOT regret updating the bathroom floor now. Adds so much value to your home....

I think you are right, art on the wall instead of mirror, but you never know until you hold something up.....

Mona thanked Laura Mac
  • Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Laura! I'm pretty much set on keeping the floor. It's just white ceramic tile and I may do what someone else suggested and paint the grout white. The tile floor was installed 13 years ago and it's in good shape.

I'm definitely getting lighting in the 3000k to 3500k range. I'm still shopping for a light fixture I like so that'll be last.

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

So funny, on my monitor it looks like creamy beige tile with brown gout lines. LOL If the grout lines are brown, maybe leave for now since it ties into your vanity. Can't wait to see the Grape Mist on the walls! Should be fun!

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Laura, that's funny! It's actually bright white with a dark gray grout. I was thinking that would go well with the grape mist. I'm putting the first coat on tonight, yesterday I was priming. Wish me luck!

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Mona - GOOD LUCK! A fresh coat of paint and new vanity will do wonders! I'm sure you'll love it and if not, it's just a gallon of paint. Post pics after!

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Do you have time to prime the wall before selecting a permanent paint color? I do think you should paint all the walls the same color.

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tqtqtbw - yup i already primed it. It's super bright in there now!

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Post pics when you are done.

• Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago

If you want a different look for the floor, put throw rugs or get some cut to fit carpeting. Easy peasy.

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    following...cant wait go see the new paint color. I would paint all the walls though.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

This shows work started painting out the grout lines. It looks like tedious work but your area is small. Some on Houzz who have done it said it was easy.

Mona thanked emmarene9
  • Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone. I'm slowly making progress on the powder room! While painting I was standing on the toilet and it tilted sideways and somehow started leaking. So new toilet!!! Anyway, mirror and new light fixture will hopefully happen this weekend.

I'd like opinions on adding two floating shelves behind the toilet. I really want to hide the laundry chute and was thinking I could put a picture and towels on the shelves to cover it up. But the shelves will have to be at least 15 inches apart above and below the chute. I'm worried that spacing is too much and will look weird. Any thoughts?

Painted powder room:

18" Floating shelf:

Inspiration pic:

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    you could hang a towel bar above the chute and add several fluffy towels to hang down to hide the chute and a floating shelf above the towel bar.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

The colors in the bathroom came out so nicely. What is the name of the color you used? I really like it.

And the laundry shoot....Is this shoot going to be used? Are you sure you want a shelf in front of it? Maybe enclose it in a cabinet with shelves inside the cabinet. I am certain you will have a host of ideas. Floating shelves will be so pretty with the color of paint you have.

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

It did turn out cute Mona!!! Love it!

Do you use the laundry chute? How many things have gotten caught up in there?! LOL

If you use it, then a towel bar above does sound good. Then you won't knock things over throwing towels down there if you have a shelf full of bottles, misc. Then shelves above that. Can you get a longer shelf?

Great job!

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago

More color needed. The walls, floor and baseboards are so close in color. Add something with strong color e.g. towels, art etc. The idea of painting the grout lines sounds like a good idea. In any case you are doing a nice job.

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi all! Thanks for all of your suggestions. The laundry chute is non functional as the previous owners inadvertently blocked part of the opening in the basement when they had it finished.

I'm thinking about skipping the shelves and putting a towel bar and then some artwork hanging on the wall above it.

@boxerpal The color is SW Grape Mist. I really like how it turned out!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

No mirror on the wall with the toilet paper holder. The mirror above the vanity is all you need. A nice piece of art on the toilet paper wall.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

If you don't plan on making the chute functional, you could have the opening removed and drywall repaired.

• Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone! It took us a while to finish this between ordering items, work and kid's activities, but here's the finished bathroom. Done just in time for family coming for Xmas!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

It looks very nice and fresh and clean. Congratulations on a job well done. enjoy.

Mona thanked cat_ky
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

It l very nice. Great job

Mona thanked Cheryl Smith
  • krottmann
    5 years ago
    Looks great, thanks for sharing.
    Mona thanked krottmann
  • Mona
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the advice I received for this fairly basic project!