Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

What can cause my persimmon tree to wilt its leaves before fall color?

Today when I came back home from work I realize that my persimmon tree's leaves completely drooped. It wasn't like this this past weekend. Why would it do this even before it starts its fall foliage color? We have not experienced any frosts yet and this past week, we haven't had temps below 40 degrees and we had 34 degree temperatures couple weeks ago so you know its not from the temperature thats causing this. I am completely puzzled. I've never seen something like this before.

The tree is diospyros kaki 'ichikikei Jiro'.

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

we had 34 degree temperatures couple weeks ago

==>> in tree time ... that was a couple minutes ago ... it is reacting to the cold event ... and now its showing ...not surprising in NOV ....

cant tell if its potted.. if so ... the roots also got cold.. compared to if it was tempered by mother earth ...

ken

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's in the ground. But why would it show symptoms so late?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Late?? It's the middle of November - this is when deciduous trees across most of North America look exactly like yours.....if they have any leaves left at all!!

I am having trouble understanding what you are concerned about. What did you expect from this little tree?

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Orange fall colors but leaves drooped before fall color even started. Last year this happened to my hydrangeas because temps went into the 20s. But it hasn't even gotten below freezing yet so how could leaves droop

Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, all the deciduous trees leaves here don't wilt and skip fall color like that. Every one of them change color first and gradually drop its leaves, not completely wilt and skip fall color like that. I understand if a hard freeze came, then it would make the tree/shrubs foliage to blacken and wilt. But not when our temperatures are still mild like this. What I am concerned about? That I am never going to see the beautiful fall foliage of this persimmon if it wilts and skips fall color like that every year!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

If you read a number of other recent posts, fall color has been 'off' along much of the eastern half of the country because of weird late summer and early fall weather - too warm temps, too much rain following periods of drought. So trees are not coloring up and the leaves wither, droop or fall. It happens. Nothing to be concerned about and certainly no cause for alarm.....your tree is fine :-)

btw, sharp cold or early frost is not the only reason leaves will droop. Too much rain or too little irrigation during dry periods can also cause a similar reaction. And a collection of abnormal weather patterns - like you have had - can certainly be a contributing factor.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Fall color is indeed very late this year but no tree except my persimmon skipped fall foliage. Even if its very late, callery pears and gingkos are just starting or in their peak of color right now. My hydrangeas haven't even started!

But we got sooo much rain this year starting from July. Even now in November it doesn't stop raining. So maybe its too wet. I'm not worried about whether it'll die or not. I just don't want my persimmon to skip its beautiful fall foliage every year like this.

• Myrtle Ivy
    5 years ago

This year is very similar to last year in terms of there being an abnormally warm October. When we have seasons like this, Fall foliage is not ideal. I am also in NJ (Zone 7) and am currently in peak color (went driving today just to see it in fact), but the colors have not been as stunning as in "normal" years. What I noticed last year too, was the leaves lingered on the trees even after they were nipped by frost. In my area, we have only had a very light frost so far (and many of my tropicals are still outside in fact). A harder frost should cover most areas in several days. And not sure if it's related to Fall color, but it's also been a very, very WET Fall.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought this october was on the cold side. There were a few nights were temperatures got near freezing. But yes, I remember last year.. it was horrific. There was no such thing as fall color. Seeing the leaves on the Japanese maple just hanging on the branches was a horror scene for me. Its also been a very very wet fall too. In fact it went through from all summer to now. I'm surprised none of my plants rotted from that(except my one arisaema).

• Myrtle Ivy
    5 years ago

Heruga, you must have forgotten the first half of October, it was hot and humid.

• Skip1909
    5 years ago

We've had at least 2 freezing nights (below 32) in Freehold already. Your tree will be fine. A bunch of shrubs I planted looked like that the first fall but now 2 years later theyre growing strong.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

It also is a young tree. Often young plants don’t behave as they will when they are older.

Additionally, day length is one of the factors that triggers trees into fall mode, not only tempertures. So the combination of odd weather with the expected day length changes can cause trees to drop leaves before color develops.

Original Author
    5 years ago

You guys are right, it was planted this past spring and then transplanted in June. Guess I'll be patient and see how it behaves next year.If it even survives our winter..