Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_185033393

Why do some painted wood cabinets look plastiic?

HelloMarion
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’ve seem some painted finishes where they look like painted wood, and others that look a little shiny, more like plastic. Shiloh kind of has that plastic look, as well as some I’ve noticed at homedepot. Even knocking on them, they sound plastic. But they are wood except for the center panel. Why is this? Is it a different paint finish? Anyone have and love the more “plastic” looking kind? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

They may be thermafoil.

Avoid Foil cabinets. They will peel and cannot be repainted. Junk.

Get solid wood or MDF cabinet doors.

Make sure to see a door cut in half to know the material.

See a whole cabinet before purchasing a whole cabinet project.

If no whole assembled cabinet samples available, then avoid.

Or, order just 1 of the cabinets, inspect it, then order the rest it passes your expectations. That way you won't get stuck with a bunch of subpar cabinets & save a huge $$ headache.

Hope that helps; )

• Hillside House
    5 years ago

Thermofoil vs. paint. Thermofoil today is very different than the thermofoil of the past, and a much higher quality. It's like comparing paint vs stain, or poly vs oiled finish. Apples and oranges.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago

I think we're talking thermofoil vs paint vs catalytic finish. Here in Australia, where I live, and in Europe what is called a two-pac finish is very common - it's almost like an auto paint process on cabinetry. Very hard, very shiny - not plastic at all - but I don't think it's caught on in the US yet.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I think my Ikea high gloss cabinets are a foil type finish I have had the same finish in my last 2 houses it has never failed me and I have a very busy kitchen all the time since I have a catering biz I run from my home. My kitchen now is 11 yrs old not one problem even around my wall ovens where I use the cleaning cycle quite often . Mine in this house are pure white and in my last one red.

• HelloMarion
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m pretty sure the Shiloh ones I saw that had this finish are wood with m d f panel. I believe it’s their 16 step sprayed painting process which is so thick that it looks and sounds like plastic when you knock on it. Maybe it’s super durable, but it looks shiny and almost fake to me.

• H202
    5 years ago

Agree with jmm above - you may actually be looking at something that's far superior to paint. Or you may be looking at a cheap finish. I am amazed at all the painted cabinets in the US that literally are just done with two coats of oil or water based paint. There's just no way this is going to last 15 years at the kitchen sink without touch up. The two layer finish is, like described above, more like an automotive/marine paint that will last forever.

• Caroline Kelly Kryger
    last year

She’s not looking at thermofoil, she’s looking at painted wood like you would see at the Kraftmaid display in Home Depot . Looks like plastic, doesn’t look like wood. Do better lines have better more wood looking finishes ?

• jvickycamp
    last year

Pretty sure that latex and acrylic paint is plastic?

• Caroline Kelly Kryger
    last year

I guess that would make sense!

• jvickycamp
    last year

Ha. idk:)