Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyburridge

Help! Custom Range Hood Pro Advice Needed for My Dream Kitchen

nancyburridge
5 years ago

I am nearing the end of a complete remodel of my kitchen. We have waited until almost the end to install our gas range which will operate on propane. We have ordered the correct parts from the manufacturer. I need advice on the range hood dimensions.

The range is 36 inches wide and as recommended we have allowed 48 inch width for the custom hood which will be constructed of 2 x 4's and covered with fireproof wall board which will be painted.

The floor of the hood which will contain the exterior exhaust fan and light and will have a stainless panel facing the burners. The front will have a shallow arch which will be approximately 3 inches below the floor of the hood.

Safety is most important, but I am also trying to achieve a particular design look. The ceiling above the range is a mere 84"H so I have little space to work with. The installed range height will be 34.75" which is the same as my countertops. That leaves me with 49.25" for a safe zone and the hood. The projection of the hood has been recommended to be 22" but my husband thinks 24" would be better. I think this might overpower the space. I would like to have a mantle on the front of the hood. The picture below is similar to what I am trying to achieve on a smaller scale sincethe photo design is obviously a kitchen with much taller ceilings, but the curve of the arch is about right and my mantle would be smaller.

Q. Is it safe to have the top of this arch 24" above the range top which would put the floor at 27"-28"? Should I put ceramic tile on the inside of the arch as further fire-proofing or will painted fireproof board be enough? I really need your help as we are stalled on this project until we get some answers. (Photos above & below)

This photo shows the dropped ceiling which will have wood with crown trim and a light fixture hanging over the island. The backsplash has been painted and is awaiting tile.

This is the style of the range hood I would like although mine will be smaller and more streamlined.

(Houzz photo and inspiration)

Island which is between range and sink.

I am hoping for some advice which will focus on safety while taking my design goal in mind. Thank you for the time you take to respond.

Comments (11)

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    I can’t comment on the technical side since it’s not my expertise - I’ll just say that based on your ceiling height I’d recommend a simpler hood design. No mantle. It’s overpowering and heavy with a lower ceiling.
    nancyburridge thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Not to mention it’s off center with the ceiling detail which is another reason to downplay it and not accentuate it. This goes against your goals but I have to speak up.
    nancyburridge thanked thinkdesignlive
  • dan1888
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How do the removable stainless baffles for trapping grease fit in your design?

nancyburridge thanked dan1888
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

this has technical issues beyond many of us . but if you can reduce the issues to primarily "centering" of stove, then measure what a swap of the two base cabinets left and right of range would do to help. Un-install counter.....swap those cabinets ….and proceed. If this achieves a solution for that.

nancyburridge thanked herbflavor
  • User
    5 years ago

The lowest wood piece of the hood needs to be at a minimum of 66"-72" AFF. Since your ceiling is only 84", you don't even have room for anything but a very slim profile stainless hood. A mantle hood does not begin to fit in 12"-18". It needs at least 24"H, and that is with a much smaller range. This will be badly out of scale. Plus are planning a fire hazard, with wood inside the prohibited zone for combustibles. Your insurance company will decline to pay for that fire claim.

• User
    5 years ago

"Is it safe to have the top of this arch 24" above the range top?"

Definitely NOT. 30"-36" above the cooking surface is the MINIMUM height for any wood above the cooking surface on a wood hood. Covering that wood with steel, drywall, or cement board, does not make any difference. Having wood anywhwre in that zone violates the clearances. The inspiration picture violates code.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

You cannot do such a large arch - the overall height of this piece will be approx 18" ( 84 - 18 = 66 ) Do a 2" - 2 1/2" arch on the valance. If you do a column on each side you could then do a crown molding detail that will return on the column and not interfere with the doors of the cabinets. The opening underneath needs to be based on the actual exhaust unit that is required for your range - your appliance folks should be able to help you with that. It will be a challenge since you have a reduced ceiling height and you have an offset vent line ( which needs to be changed - in most areas flex duct is not allowed ).

You could also do a chimney style

Here are a couple of pictures for short mantles you could create

Good luck - I hope you can figure something out!

• opaone
    5 years ago

A lot of good advice above.

The first question is how functional you need this hood to be. If you don't cook in your kitchen and it is mainly for show then that's very different from if you actually use your kitchen and you need your hood to work properly.

Start here: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5161173/hood-faq

For function, deeper is better so your husband's 24" is better than 22" but 27" or 30" is better than 24".

You'll want to use a stainless hood liner such as from Wolf or Braun or Modernaire or Captiveaire or whomever.

As @Kaseki mentioned, an inline or external blower will be much quieter than a blower in the hood itself. And IMPORTANTLY, you need to consider make up air.

• Tootsie
    5 years ago
    Why is the stove so much higher than the counter top? Can you steal a few inches by removing, lowering the legs?
  • Aglitter
    5 years ago

Hi all contributors, I know it's disappointing that the OP never got back to you or thanked you for all the wonderful advice, but I wanted to let you know that this thread popped up in searches for hoods for my own kitchen redo in January 2019 and has been hugely helpful. Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice, tips and links!