Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (35)

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Yes! that is how you make a rose website!

roseseek thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Some gorgeous roses

roseseek thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I've never seen Rubens look that good before.

roseseek thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • User
    5 years ago

Yes, some really nice roses - and finally a source for Lady Anne Kidwell! But they are awfully expensive, probably out of the question for me, alas.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Wow. They are very expensive. May favorite past time in the off season(other than footbal) is perusing the sites and making wish lists for next season but I can’t even pretend at these prices. Beautiful site though.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Rubens is the one that caught my eye

• Claire8WA
    5 years ago

Yeah Kristine, old Rubens looks pretty dang good...though I have to say I am with Sheila in that she does not usually look that fine in my experience

but apart from the roses being very pricy, you know they say they are going to ship in 3 GALLON cans...so the shipping is going to be ferocious. Combined with the uncertainty of the RRD status of roses from this source...well, a deal killer for me on all fronts.

but I am wondering if it might be safe to order roses from nurseries such as Burling, or others who do their own on site propagating, and more importantly, know their roses ias individuals and would be vigilant in checking for rose disease. Hate to give up getting any new roses if there might be a work around....so what do you guys think?

worried ol’Claire

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Can a fellow Roses Forum member clarify for me the following:

1. Are the roses 4 gallon container grown size and shipped in their 4 gallon containers?

2. Are the roses grafted or own root?

3. Are they grafted on multiflora root stock?

4. Where are the roses grown, what state, city, etc.?

Thanks,

Moses

• roseseek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Moses, I can't advise on the shipping. The roses are budded on seedling multiflora. They are grown in Santa Ynez, California, about thirty miles north of Santa Barbara, just a few miles from the Chumash Reservation. Seedling multiflora was chosen because Gracie found it performed best for her in her cut flower business. It was obtained from the same source Wisconsin Roses obtains it from. Seedling multiflora has the benefit of being RMV free naturally as the virus doesn't cross the placenta. I visited Grace Flower Farm two (?) weeks ago. It was formerly a horse ranch. The paddock where the stocks are grown and budded in the ground, is separate from the fields where the cut flowers are grown in the thousands. You can contact them directly through the web site to inquire about shipping.

As for RRD status, none of these roses was obtained from, nor propagated by Weeks or any other commercial source. The seedling stocks were germinated and grown to shipping size by a commercial source which supplies them to many other growers, including Steve Singer/Wisconsin Roses. The bud wood was gathered from public and private gardens, the list of some of them is published on the "Special Thanks" page, found under the "Grown With Love" page.

• Seeingreen
    5 years ago

Oh think she was interviewed by Rose Chat.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

I know that this company is starting up, and improvements in their web site are inevitable as time progresses, but one thing they need to do first is provide photo examples of the roses they send. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Another thing, having propagating material coming from home gardeners as they state, is the best means of getting diseased material. Very risky business.

Moses

• ac91z6
    5 years ago

Roseseek, I do have to ask about the budwood - 'Celestial Night' is a new variety from Bedard (Weeks introduction, per Regan's website). I think Bedard split from Weeks a while back, but I can't find anything about that. Is 'Celestial Night' from a non-Weeks affiliated testing field then?

• roseseek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ac91zg, I can't answer where Celestial Night came from. You can email the nursery for that if you would like. I know they are working directly with several breeders, which and who, I can't answer. From what Gracie has said, those which are also sold by Weeks have been propagated from her stock, which she has grown for several years. Moses, I agree with you that gathering from home gardens is risky. Unfortunately that is frequently the only source for many of these roses. Some exist in public gardens, which is often more dangerous than home gardens (larger mono culture, less individual attention per plant, less frequent attention paid to the plants) and too often the plant in the public garden is in substantially worse shape than the one in the home garden.

And, I was asked to pass this on from Susan and Gracie via email this afternoon, "for GW folks who order 3 or more plants they can save 15% with the code THANKS ."

• ac91z6
    5 years ago

Thank you Roseseek! And thanks for that update on the shipping, Prettypetals! I'll send an email about 'Celestial Night' (Halloween bed!) and see how long they'll hold a rose before shipping - spring is a ways off for us colder zones!

roseseek thanked ac91z6
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Welcome back Prettypetals. Haven’t seen your posts for awhile. Helen

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    5 years ago

Hey Helen. New grand baby almost a year ago has had me busy but trust me I’ve been lurking looking at everyone’s gorgeous roses!!!

roseseek thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • roseseek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Congratulations on the new grand baby!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Yes, I remember you mentioned that in one of the posts :) I’m glad you are back. We miss the beautiful pics of your roses and your garden. Helen

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I noticed that several roses that are in demand and not available elsewhere are in the list of roses that this firm hopes to introduce in the future, such as Potter and Moore and Pretty Jessica, Emmanuel, Barbara's Pasture Rose, Souvenir de President Carnot and Zalud House Striped. The last of these is a rose I've lusted after for years and was never able to find. I had Souvenir de President Carnot in the past and absolutely loved it, but this early hybrid tea deteriorated after a year or two. Of course it figures that since I've stopped buying roses all sorts of intriguing ones are listed at this nursery as being available in the future.

Souvenir de President Carnot
    Souvenir de President Carnot

• roseseek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually visited the Zalud House in Porterville this summer (twice!). It's a remarkable museum and the couple who are the curators are also rather interesting. There is a rose garden and we were able to actually identify several of the roses. The most interesting one there appears to be a climbing Souv de Claudius Pernet. They have the list of roses which grew there, from the lady who purchased and planted them all.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Oh, Ingrid! You're killing me with those photos. I'm trying to keep my want list way down, but your teas are just so hard to ignore. They're really too tender for here, but if this warming trend keeps up, maybe I'll eventually be able to grow them.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Ingrid, you are killing me too. I missed those offerings you mentioned until you highlighted them.

5 years ago

flowers, I believe Souvenir de President Carnot is an early hybrid tea and as such may have more resistance to the cold. It's a wonderful rose and as you can see it's beautiful as a bouquet. If I were to grow it now I'd plant it where it had morning sun and late afternoon shade.

Sheila, so sorry I tempted you, tee hee. From what I can see of your wonderful property there must surely be room for a few more roses, especially since some of them are not too large. I see they have the two sports of Grandmother's Hat, Tina Marie and Larry Daniels. Overall I see this list, especially the roses that will be coming soon, as one of the most interesting I've seen, especially in the West, and I haven't even researched the roses that I'm not familiar with. The agony!!!!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's what you get when you have plant nuts, ROSE nuts, sparing no effort (or expense!) to collect goodies. No joke.

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Well, whatever i get is going to be 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide most likely so it will be worth it :) and it will certainly be more thrifty than ordering bouquets from her!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

My goodness, their roses are expensive!!! I’d stay with Palatine and Hortico for DAs.

5 years ago

They certainly are not cheap, but probably not much worse than dinner for four, and it will be around for decades to give pleasure. At least, that's how I sucker myself into doing what I know I shouldn't......

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Lol, you go for it Ingrid. It’s way out of my price range. I know my limits. :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I know, but look at Flower Girl! Sigh!

• Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

Yes, Ingrid, the list of coming soon roses will keep me occupied for hours.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    It is expensive for me plus shipping from one west coast to East coast. Besides, I can only admire the roses and it is highly not recommended in multiflora here. It won't last long . So, I will be passing it up with certainty but pls post pics which I would love to see and admire :)
    jin
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Jin, I found something from UF that says multiflora is invasive and therefore not recommended in FL...so it must actually do well in order to be invasive? Hmmm

https://assessment.ifas.ufl.edu/assessments/rosa-multiflora/

• User
    5 years ago

I would buy some of those regardless of cost....

hey... I don't smoke, don't drink and don't go galivanting... so what the heck...

5 years ago

That's exactly what I say, Marlorena, and it even has the advantage of being true, as I'm certain it is for you. I don't think it's healthy to be good all the time, and being bad with roses with not rot your teeth, make you gain weight or give you an embarrassing disease!