Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baseballmom94

Empty Nester Floor Plan ~ Please Critique

baseballmom94
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are working on a one level floor plan which will have a daylight finished basement. The main level will have the master bedroom and a guest suite. There will be an additional bedroom, bathroom and family room in the lower level/basement. The house will have 10 ft ceilings with a 12 ft coffered ceiling in the Great Room. The main level is 2589 square feet.

We would love any comments or suggestions on this floor plan in regard to flow and efficient use of space. Some of our concerns are:

-. Should the Great Room be enlarged? It seems that the edge of the island (which will have stools) is pretty close to the great room and also worried that the distance from the island to the fireplace is too short. The fireplace wall with have built in cabinetry which will stick out 2 ft from the wall,. The distance from the edge of the island to the fireplace wall is 20 ft. The distance from the back kitchen counter with the cooktop to the fireplace wall is 28 ft.

- Is the Master bath and adequate size?

- Do the Master closets appear to be adequate size?

- I feel like the Master bedroom doorway is a little close to the the foyer but can't figure out how to add a little hallway without adding a lot of square footage.

- Please comment on any other suggestions regarding general flow and efficienct use of space.

Thank you so much for your input!

Baseballmom94's Home Ideas · More Info

Comments (16)

• dan1888
    5 years ago

My first impression involves light. I don't see any natural for the great room or kitchen. You'll want to light those spaces during the day with led cans. 15w A19 housings can be 1600 lumens each on dimmers for ambient lighting. And add specific leds above kitchen work zones. The layout has hallways and spaces for laundry, utility, closets, pre-pantry and pantry that waste space better used for the main rooms. You have a full basement with high ceilings presumably. What is the orientation of the home. Which side is south facing? What's the climate?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Do you have other floors, elevations and roof plan designed? If so, can you post them for an architectural review?

Designing and evaluating one floor at a time is not a particularly good approach to architectural design, although it is a common approach by consumers on this forum. For example, looking at the overall depth of your house, it appears that your roof design may result in a very large and ungainly roof, which may make your exterior very unappealing.

For another example, we have no idea about your site plan and house orientation.

All of these aspects of architectural design are inter-related and each affects the other.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

What is the site?

• kmg11
    5 years ago

I agree about lack of natural light in some areas. If the bedrooms could have windows on two sides they would be much nicer. The kitchen is being blocked by the pantry area. If that were moved to the inside of the house, possibly where half bath or utility closet is, a window could be placed on that side- allowing more light to enter.

Will a two bedroom first floor hurt you for re-sale? Just a thought.

Do you need the half bath? I would have the guest suite bath re-worked so that it opens into the hall instead of the bedroom, and eliminate the half bath. Doing this would allow for all 'guests' to use it, saving on square footage/money. Being we're pretty much empty nesters too, I want the least amount of bathrooms to clean and maintain-lol!

I'm wondering if the stairs would be better elsewhere? Do you want the access door in your mudroom area? Will your lower level be used often?

I'm not sure what your preference style is for doing laundry, it seems a bit far from your master?

The bedroom entry seems awkward with all the turns. It will be difficult getting furniture in and also if someone ever had to use a wheelchair. I would make that more of a straight shot. For that same reason, I'm not a fan of the toilet in the closet. I get that people want the privacy, but for aging in place it's not optimal. It's not even ideal if one breaks a foot and is on crutches. My own mom used a walker, then a wheelchair for a brief time and there is no way she could have maneuvered inside the tiny area, not to mention if someone needs a 'helper' at any point. When we moved them in with us, the most important issue was having an accessible bathroom, so they could remain with us. Planning for the what 'ifs' at this stage of the game will serve you well. :)

• chisue
    5 years ago

You say "Empty Nester", but do you plan to live here until you no longer live in a house? If so, you want ZERO stairs -- within a house or to gain access to it.

This plan needs more windows.

No toilet room door should open IN. (Safety code.)

• bpath
    5 years ago

Along kmg's thought about the guest bath, my parents have a guest bath where the tub-shower was behind a door, like how so many baths have the toilet and tub in their own little room. But this is just the shower, so the toilet and sink act like a powder room, and if there is an overnight guest their towel, washcloth, soap, razor, shampoo, etc, and anything else they might want to hide, are not in view because they can close the door to the shower room.

Do you need a main floor home office space for bills, records, etc?

Whlle I don't usually care where someone puts the laundry, for empty nesters it is helpful to have it closer to your room. Not just for clothes, but bed and bath linens are heavy (maybe not today, but in a few years you will feel it!)

• robin0919
    5 years ago

I like the layout. Esp. with the master at the back. I personally don't see a problem with having stairs to the basement. I've 'never' seen a bathroom door open Out. Always IN. That's the way it should be IMO, The laundry is only about 15' away. What is the problem there? It might keep them in better shape as they age!

• kmg11
    5 years ago

I personally don't see a problem with having stairs to the basement.

If designing an empty nester/aging in place home, one has the ability to plan ahead for a multitude of possibilities. Stairs are a big risk factor, especially for the elderly, not only for falls happening, but to navigate if you have any health issues. My dad had neuropathy, lifting his legs was a chore and in fact he fell going 'up' the stairs on several occasions. Ever try doing stairs with a walker, a leg or foot injury?

I've 'never' seen a bathroom door open Out. Always IN.

Referencing the toilet closet, if the person inside has fallen against the door or is unconscious needing emergency services, how does one get to them? These things do happen.

The laundry is only about 15' away. What is the problem there? It might keep them in better shape as they age!

Walking around the house might be fine for someone as they age, add carrying a weighted object and it might prove to be difficult. Had a parent with back/balance issues, lugging anything was no easy task. A wheeled cart could help.

These are all points/ideas offered to make a house optimal and convenient for someone to stay in their home.

• shead
    5 years ago

Referencing the toilet closet, if the person inside has fallen against the door or is unconscious needing emergency services, how does one get to them? These things do happen.

I, too, wondered about this as I've always seen them open in as well, but this explanation makes perfect sense. I guess I'll be changing the door swing to the toilet closet on my floorplan now ;)

• bpath
    5 years ago

Oh, I asked about a den and now I see it. Maybe a second door where the closet is, for flow. And maybe turn the hall closet to face the foyer, if it's a guest closet? Gives you a little more living room wall for art.

In the laundry, if you move the machines and sink to the exterior wall, you can vent the dryer more easily and have more counterspace around the sink. That's useful for folding as well as doing projects like flower arranging, cleaning/repairing non-clothing items, etc.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Our city's building code does not permit a toilet room door to be hinged on the inside. Exterior hinges can be pulled in a hurry, providing easy emergency access.

• Suru
    5 years ago

It looks like a good start. I wonder if you could move your kitchen into the corner where the pantries are and put the pantries in the area where your refrigerator is now. That way you could have some windows in your kitchen.

Regarding the stairs. We just built our empty-nester home and we made our stairs to the basement (where my studio is and the two guest bedrooms) a little wider and a straight shot. That way if I ever need to install a chair lift on my stairs, I have the room.

Along those lines of impending aging and lessening of mobility, I also made our water closet 48" wide and 5' deep with a 3 foot wide door that opens out. I have room to add grab bars inside and the door is wide enough to get a walker through and still close it behind you. When my father had a stroke and needed a walker, we had to remove the door to his WC because it opened inward. It took away a lot of privacy for him.

• baseballmom94
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for all the comments! Following up after the holiday weekend and I'll attempt to respond to the questions and comments.

- Interesting that many people mentioned a lack of natural light. The front of the house faces northwest and the back of the house (where the living areas are) faces southeast. We are in the Midwest and get a wide range of hot and cold temperatures throughout the year. We were actually concerned about too much hot summer sun coming into the back of the house which we think the covered porch will help alleviate. There are transom windows above the family room window wall which will allow additional natural light to enter the house. I will look to see where additional windows can be incorporated especially within the bedrooms. I think the kitchen will get a lot of natural light filtering in from the breakfast room which will have windows on three sides.

- Yes, this is an empty nester home but we are a youngish 53/54 year old couple (with parents in their 80s/90s who are still very active) so we don't anticipate a lot of mobility issues anytime soon and even if that were the case, the house is designed where everything we need is on the main level.

- I've attached the site plan and Lower Level/Daylight Basement Floor Plan below.

- The elevation is not yet finalized but we have a some inspiration photos attached below.

- Someone asked if having both the master suite and the second bedroom on the main level would hurt our resale value. Actually, it would help us with resale because there is the option for an inlaw suite instead of having all the guest bedrooms in the basement.

- Another suggestion was to eliminate the powder room and have the guest bedroom suite bathroom open to the hallway. I just think that guests would be uncomfortable with others using their bathroom and would prefer a more private space.

- I may consider moving the staircase to the wall where the utility closet currently is in order to open up the staircase a bit with an open railing.

Additional photos attached below and would love to hear any additional comments! Thanks so much!

• baseballmom94
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Site Plan:

Lower Level/Daylight Basement Floor Plan:

Elevation Inspiration - Option 1:

Elevation Inspiration - Option 2:

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

My first impression involves light. I don't see any natural for the great room or kitchen.

Agree.

While we're looking at the kitchen, note that you have a "pinch point" at the entrance to the dining room; that is, all diners must enter through the small space between the island and the back wall. This means entering the dining area will be cumbersome, and the diners at the far end of the dining room will be "trapped".

Note, too, that the only backyard access is through the dining room door ... but once you place furniture in this space, you'll not be able to reach this door. You need a backyard door in the great room.

I agree about lack of natural light in some areas. If the bedrooms could have windows on two sides they would be much nicer.

Windows on two sides of the bedroom are, indeed, very nice ... but I'd rather have those nicest windows in my living - kitchen - dining, the rooms where I'm awake.

Do you need the half bath? I would have the guest suite bath re-worked so that it opens into the hall instead of the bedroom, and eliminate the half bath. Doing this would allow for all 'guests' to use it, saving on square footage/money. Being we're pretty much empty nesters too, I want the least amount of bathrooms to clean and
    maintain-lol!

I totally agree. Between the cost of installation and the labor of cleaning every week, I'd rather have as few bathrooms as is reasonable.

I'm not sure what your preference style is for doing laundry, it seems a bit far from your master?

Instead of moving the laundry, I'd flip-flop the guest bedroom and the master bedroom. Especially since you anticipate being elderly in this house, it just makes sense to place the master near the garage entrance, which is the most convenient place. Put the rarely-used guest room on the far side.

I don't think this particular thing happens all that often, but toilet closets in general are not an elderly-friendly choice. They're too narrow for comfort, especially if you need assistance with mobility, they create an obstacle in reaching grab bars, and they're more difficult to clean.

Walking around the house might be fine for someone as they age, add carrying a weighted object and it might prove to be difficult. Had a parent with back/balance issues, lugging anything was no easy task. A wheeled cart could help.

Yes, when my grandmother was 98-99 and still lived alone, she could do her own laundry ... but she used a walker, and she could not carry a laundry basket back/forth to the laundry area.

A wheeled cart would've been a big help. When I took her out, she often sat in the car and asked me to bring her a shopping cart ... she felt quite confident about walking with a cart in front of her. Thing is, if you intend to use such a cart in your home, you should go ahead and buy the cart (they come in a variety of sizes on Amazon) and PLAN a counter top under which it can scoot. Don't figure that you'll just pick up a cart later and assume it'll fit.

- Someone asked if having both the master suite and the second bedroom on the main level would hurt our resale value.

Makes sense, though the guest room isn't really big enough for in-laws to live in all the time ... the tiny vanity and modest closet aren't really "enough".

- Another suggestion was to eliminate the powder room and have the guest bedroom suite bathroom open to the hallway. I just think that guests would be uncomfortable with others using their bathroom and would prefer a more private space.

Disagree on all points.

Other thoughts:

- Note that you'll have to carry groceries the length of the kitchen, then through that little vestibule room to reach the pantry. I'd lose the half bath and open the pantry from both sides ... that'll be quite convenient.

- Lots of jigs-and-jogs to drive up the price ... without any real benefit to the function.

- Is that an exterior door at the back of the master? Such a door would be wise: 1) fire safety ... this bedroom isn't near any other exterior door. 2) Bringing furniture in through the 90 degree turn may prove difficult.

- I'd lose the bedroom's main door ... and place it in the little bedroom hallway.

baseballmom94 thanked Mrs Pete