Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37756372

Kitchen progress- before/after

User
5 years ago
Showing the progress of my kitchen so far. Posted awhile back on countertop choices and took reviewers suggestions and went with the light. I like it but not love. We will be getting new appliances, blinds, backsplash, and we are definitely painting. We will NOT be redoing the floors. I would love love love to do them darker but with a rambunctious puppy, a baby on the way, and the likelihood of moving in a few years, we just aren't in the market to do that. And unfortunately I think the floors are what's throwing me off! They give off an orange hue which I think offsets the gray countertop . Idk maybe it's just me.

What I do need help with: color hardware choice ? Bronze or Nickle? && backsplash. Please suggest away!

Comments (71)

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

What color is your faucet? I want that color for the pulls and not white subway tile. There are so many other awesome choices. Let's see what else you might like. Your floors will tone down if we get this right.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I do think the floors look more vibrant in the pictures too & maybe previous comment is correct with the lighting. The faucet in place is a bronze color, but we also have a stainless color. I attached a pic of the different color options for hardware. We aren't sure style of knobs yet but we will use this kind & maybe semicircle. They were all knobs before so we have to use the same drill holes. I think only all knobs or semicircle on drawers & knobs on doors will work.
    Do you think the gray tone of the stove will make a difference? Kinda worried about that
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Found something like this too for backsplash. It's more detailed but I tried to find colonial white with the same tinted floors
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

Nice update! The floor looks like a medium/lighter oak? Classic in my eyes. In your kitchen I would go with the less contrasting hardware color - nickel. You indicated you are not staying in this home. Notice how trends in backsplashes move quickly? As a buyer I would rather see a painted wall than something that is not my style or color preference.. and not the easiest to change. I find it very acceptable (I love looking at the deVOL kitchen site - https://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/kitchens/shaker-kitchen ). It is also easy to change to what color is in trend when you sell.

• Chessie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"kjobe29

Do you all agree with the brushed Nickle hardware for this kitchen? "

I MUCH prefer the nickel to the dark.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"Found something like this too for backsplash. It's more detailed "

No to the mosaic tile backsplash. You want less detail, solid color, with that counter.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"Grace Reed

PS Is there a reason the range is so close to the sink? Is it gas? "

Huh? The range looks to be in a good location. Definitely not too close.

• Grace Reed
    5 years ago
    Chessie, I didn't come across the NKBA guidelines for a sink and range after a quick search but this definitely doesn't meet them. Not only does it lack functionality, it's a safety hazard esp. since it's a gas range.
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

Hi! The poster has installed this kitchen already so that stove conversation is long gone... Grace I like that the tile shop is online as well.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes , we were in no position to move the location of the stove. It was that way when we moved in and it has never bothered me. We are just looking to fix up the place for resale & our enjoyment for a few years. Excluding appliances, we will be able to do the whole project for roughly $5k which I think is great for NJ. Just need some help from the pros to pull this look together.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

My range is much closer to my sink that yours is, and is certainly not a hazard. I would not be bothered or worried at all about it. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Tried to get better photos. Here is a picture with the stainless faucet. Do you think the faucet is too high above the windowsill?
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And do you think stainless is the winner?
  • Grace Reed
    5 years ago

kjobe29, I think so. The faucet is high but they tend to be that way. I’m glad the range works for you. Im a retired realtor and kitchen designer, and IF you’re new ctop wasn’t already installed, I’d have recommended that the range & the cabinet to the left be swapped. Some home buyers will find it a drawback & we all know how important kitchens are. You’ve made great choices & its looking beautiful!

• Bess04
    5 years ago
    Stainless faucet and hardware.
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grace- yes majority of the faucets were that high when looking. Kinda crazy but I guess maybe that's the trend these days
  • snobunyz24
    5 years ago
    You already have a bronze faucet..? Id stick w the bronze then
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No we don’t. As mentioned above we bought both a bronze & stainless faucet because we didn’t know what color we’d go with. The bronze just so happened to be in “place” when I took the first pic
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

Height looks normal for these tall faucets and still like the stainless :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ya know, you don't have to settle for just plain white subways. your granite isn't particularly busy, or colorful, so don't be afraid to try something a big different.

here is one w/a bit of iridescent to the glass. it's a subtle coloring (these are all the same type of granite that you have)

I love this one:

hex tile w/glazed edging, ORB hardware, soft blue walls. very pretty.

gray glass

tumbled white marble

See all the other choices?? and I haven't even shown you that many.

here's your white subway. yawn. and double yawn

notice the faucet height (since you asked about yours) and the hardware.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Agree with Beth, do something either with some sparkle, or some shape with light grey grout.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

My faucet is almost exactly the same height as yours and is above the window sill. I'm quite used to it now.

And I like the stainless of your two choices.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions Beth! I do like some of those. White subway was just the safe bet but we are going to start taking a look this week at backsplash and I will be open to other options. Hoping we can make a decision on this rather quickly.
    We will go with the stainless hardware & j guess the faucet height is normal.
  • PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

Your granite is so subtle, so beautiful, and very easy to match with various backsplash options. But I think white or gray marble backsplash would look best. By the way, have you considered a throw rug in gray to cover a portion of the floor?

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, we will put rugs down. We didn’t have any up because of our puppy but plan on purchasing new ones once our kitchen is painted. Do you just mean rugs by the sink?
  • leelee
    5 years ago

You can get indoor/outdoor poly rugs that can be sprayed with a hose to clean.

Here are several. They look great, don't they? This first one I love.

• leelee
    5 years ago

One small thing that would help tone down the floors is to remove the wood blinds. They echo the floors. Draw attention away from wood floors by adding a roman shade. Something similar to these.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Leelee .. Yes can't wait for those blinds to go!! We will be putting up new blinds after we paint. Those blinds are from when we moved in and I've always hated them but they were fine with the old cabinets.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Mixing metals in kitchen or bath is fabulous look. Very subtle and interesting and not all matchy-matchy.

If you look closely you can see they used stainless for faucet and stove, black iron for knobs/pulls and brass for accents on lamps and bar stools. It all works but doesn't look so "fixed" but still done with intention.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    I agree the nickel would look great. I also agree with BethH - something different than white subway tile will really make the room sing.
    I like the soft blue — and the interesting window treatment idea. Even tho you will sell in 5 years, make it beautiful for yourself! And your new baby!
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lee lee I do like those Roman shades! Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to see what goes best after the rest is done. Our install for the stove & dishwasher isn't until the 14th so decision making probably won't happen until after that. The stainless GE range we ordered has a charcoal top on it, not the standard black. Hope that doesn't throw anything off but considering the rest is gray & so is the side of the fridge I'm thinking it will be fine.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Can't wait to see with your appliances installed.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update with new range. Dishwasher arrived broken so we're waiting on a new one- It's all stainless as well so you get the picture. Second picture is an idea of what
    A white subway tile would look like. I think we would do gray grout with white tile. What do you think? This particular slab is from lowes & are smaller tiles then typical subway. Do you like the small or think we should I for standard?
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also we have a new range hood, stainless, just not hooked up yet
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Standard 3 x 6 tiles would be better. Not as busy. I would go with white grout....again, less busy.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That is true. Yes I think I agree with using the larger tiles since we have a decent amount of surface area to cover. We just picked those up from lowes but heading to a tile store sometime this week
  • okibujp
    5 years ago

I love these all white kitchens and that the walls are also white instead of a color. Makes it easy to incorporate splashes of color with art and rugs.

Classical Kitchen · More Info

Harp Residence · More Info

Transitional in Summit NJ · More Info

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

It looks too bright white for the cabs. The cabs look a little creamier.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

here's a 3x6 in a creamier white

I like a longer size like this one

or this shape is different

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth, I think we are going to bring a cabinet door to a tile shop & see if they have suggestions. Is that just a white grout in that first picture? I can't tell. We were thinking a light gray
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

a light gray is a good choice. Mapei Warm Gray, is a very light, warmer tone gray. (DeLorean would be more blue/gray)

the grout in the first pic could be an off white. hard to tell.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    A light gray grout with a white subway tile you mean? Sorry I wasn't very clear in my last comment
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Never mind, just looked up Mapei warm gray and saw it was grout.. I like that color so thank you for the suggestion! I think that with a white subway tile that matches the doors would look nice
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

kjobe,,,i used that warm gray w/my subway tile in the shower. it's pretty light

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    FYI I know a few people said The Tile Shop is just an online store but it's not!! They have actual stores as well. I happened to drive past it last weekend and stopped in today, finding the perfect off white subway tile to match our cabinets. If we end up using it we would do a light gray grout and call it a day. Keep it nice, simple, clean, and classy for resale.
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update: Finished product!!
    We still need to paint and accessorize properly but I think it looks pretty good!
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    New before & after
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

so I see you stayed safe and went with the 3x6 white subway! Well, it looks better than what you started with by a long shot. Nice job. so glad you redid the peninsula w/a veneer trim.

May I suggest a runner (or rug) with a bit of color or pattern to add a bit of personality?

or, look to doing a nice window blind

you could even forgo the blind and hang a vintage leaded glass piece with a cool pendant light

or do a diff woven wood. maybe something lighter than your current one. check out blinds.com. they have some great woven wood options. I have a few of theirs.
    i'm also liking the glass door option. maybe do your smaller upper door in a seeded glass.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Beth! Thank you for all of your suggestions. We will be getting a colorful rug and I was looking at the Roman shade option for the window. Yes we decided to play it safe with the subway tile. We figured it was good for resale and considering I now have a newborn we didn’t have much time to really look at options. Do you know if I should be sealing the grout in the backsplash or does that not matter?
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    The backsplash looks great. Now accessorize to your hearts desire!