Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

kitchen subway tile help

J Kildman
5 years ago
In the process of picking out backsplash. My cabinets were painted BM Simply White. Sea Pearl Quartzite installed. Is this subway too creamy for my cabinets. It’s funny because they match the Simply White paint swatch perfectly but my cabinets are a little whiter than the Simply White swatch (maybe because of the primer underneath)? Anyway I really don’t want a stark white subway which is why I picked this one but now I’m afraid it’s a bit too yellow. Hmmm

Comments (24)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    One more
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    A couple more
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How about stainless? I have it in my white kitchen and I love the contrast. Easy to clean and gives some brightness to the walls.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

Agree with Sina, a warm grey will look best. There are a bazillion shades of white, sometimes it's better not to try to find "the right one". Grout to match the tile, most times a good tile Pro has a great eye for selecting the grout color.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    Too hard to give a definitive answer...colors can vary depending on the monitor.
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    5 years ago

Sina called it! Your best option is a pale warm gray tile; your white ones are going to be off with either the counters or the cabinets.

• K R
    5 years ago
    I agree, a gray would be better. The white is too stark.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I actually found a better matching white subway last night. You still don’t think it will work?
  • PRO
    Distinction Tile
    5 years ago

If you like it that's all that matters. You will never match the whiteness perfectly. I would say 75% of backsplashes I put in are white subway on white countertops and white cabinets. If you add grey grout I think it really helps offset any slight difference in the whiteness. Since its a 3x6 tile you will have a lot of grey grout lines in there. Don't forget your lighting hits the majority of the backsplash a little differently since the cabinets overhang most of it. Congrats on the new kitchen!

• leelee
    5 years ago

I like the white you found. There are so many shadows and different lights in a kitchen you are better to go with the white.

• Christine Hatt-Pyne
    5 years ago
    Put white paper behind the wall then line up the tile as you have and take pictures in natural light. You will then have a better shot at seeing how the undertones work. Simply white is half the value of cloud white which is a creamy white with some yellow underneath. My cupboards went a bit more yellow so I'm surprised yours are reading more white. Have a people over during the day on the weekend and see what they say. If everyone likes the same tile you will know what will work.

If you like white tile you won't go wrong in the long term. Most of what I just wrote came from www.mariakillam.com and her blog. You might want to take a look. With layering whites you just want to make sure everything isn't clashing on undertones. My white backsplash tile reads slightly gray in natural light but I wouldn't trade it for colored tile. I know in the long term I won't get tired of my white slightly sparkly tile and everyone who ca,e in my house picked the same tile as in person it was clearly the right choice and I had lots of tiles in the house.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes that’s the frustration I’m having! Cabinets reading a lot more stark than the Simply White swatch. I painted the actual paint on the swatch and it matches so I don’t understand why it’s reading so stark on the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Light, light, light. That's the big variable when choosing very close colors to coordinate. It's so difficult to see the subtle nuances of color on a computer monitor. I think you might either go with a contrasting color or trust your own eye. No one can see the colors in reality unless they are in the same room as you.

• Greg P.
    5 years ago
    You could use a soft gray grout which would complement the counters and break up all of the white. This would make any difference in the color of the tiles and the cabinets less pronounced.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    White, white, white...why not select the backsplash color from the non-white veining in your counter? The lightest or medium vein color may be more interesting than more white.
  • vintagestuf
    5 years ago

Total agreement with Sina. Recently, I was experiencing a similar [driving-me-crazy subway tile choice[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/white-glossy-subway-tile-or-white-matte-subway-dsvw-vd~5549252) with my newly installed granite. Per welcoming and constructive Houzzers suggestions, I considered other colors than white. Going with a color in the granite was better than white. May I suggest you shop nearby tile stores if you can bring along a small piece of your quartz. Hopefully, you can bring a sample tiles home to see in your own lighting. Good luck!

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    The lighting under your cabinet will change how the tiles look. If you’re laying everything out on a table, you’re not seeing them vertically, which is where they will ultimately be.
    Create a sample of the tile on wood, with a light grey grout and stand it vertically under your cabinets. Leave it in different spots both day and night for a few days. If it’s a good white, you’ll be sure of it.

Take the time to do this or you can make a huge mistake that you’ll never stop seeing. If you think it’s off after installation, you will be very unhappy. But if it’s great, then you’ll have your all white kitchen.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

• leelee
    5 years ago

If the counters were chosen to work with the cabinets then doesn't it follow that if the backsplash tiles work with the cabinets then they should also compliment the counters?

I've seen so many mistakes and dilemmas where people tried to pick a color from the counters for tile and they ended up with this. Kind of a mess.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I loved your original!

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What do you think for GROUT? Mapaei Frost (very light gray)or Warm Gray (light gray but darker than Frost)?
  • vintagestuf
    5 years ago

Mapaei Frost is my preference. I rather notice the tile than dark grout lines which can also make the area look busy.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Lighter grout seems like it would be better overall.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz