Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maackia

The Joy of Cold

maackia
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I never thought I’d write that, but these three pines do provide some relief. The pictures were taken November 1, which gives you some idea how cold our fall has been.

Comments (39)

• User
    5 years ago

If you didn't have evergreen conifers, this time of year, all you would see is trees that look dead. :-)

maackia thanked User
  • maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, and conifers that turn gold with the onset of cold are especially welcome. P. ‘Cold Gold’? :>)

• bengz6westmd
    5 years ago

Shouldn't that be, "The Joy of Evergreens"?

maackia thanked bengz6westmd
  • plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

# 3 is easy , # 1 looks like a sylvestris ? , # 2 no clue

ron

maackia thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 years ago

Nice!

maackia thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ron, #1 is P. sylvestris 'Gold Coin' and #2 is P. mugo 'Wintersonne'. I was hoping 'Gold Coin' would be a bit more vibrant, but I've had it a few years now and this is as good as it gets. If anyone has this tree to compare with, I'd like to see a picture.

Are pines the only evergreen conifers that turn gold with onset of cold weather?

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

know what you mean ,,, I had a mugo ' Zundert " years ago that turned the most awsome yellow every year,,,then I moved it & killed it,,,the replacement lives but is not even close in color

I have seen pics of 'Gold coin " a real nice yellow

hit or miss I guess

ron

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Love the photos. There are spruces and firs that turn gold in cold weather too. Abies nordmanniana 'Midwinter Gold' is one that comes to mind and there is a Picea abies that I can't remember the name of. Abies concolor 'Wintergold' too. I think that these are more so that the gold color intensifies in the winter so their summer color is usually more of a light yellow green.

• liono9_zone6b
    5 years ago

Maackia this is my gold coin last winter, color was really intense.

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

liono9 that's some fantastic color! My Gold Coin is usually quite bright. This photo is from Jan 11 2018

• liono9_zone6b
    5 years ago

Garen that’s a beautiful tree, can’t wait till mine grows big!

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago

Wow! Gold Coin is beautiful! I wish I had more space to grow it.

• maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well shoot, it looks like my Gold Coin is kind of a dud compared to Garen’s and liono9’s. Hopefully mine will improve with age, but I suspect what I currently see is what I’ll get.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I had a Pinus mugo Carstens that was so gold I had leprechauns showing up in my yard!

The specimens of Gold Coin I've seen haven't been as gold as you'd expect. Gold Medal is supposed to have better color

Alot of my own winter gold plant shots ended up corrupt.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 years ago

Let's not forget the Cryptomeria!

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Maakia, I think there was a winter or two were mine didn't color up quite as much. Perhaps it's color is a little variable. Regardless I really enjoy it's summer color as well.

Nice big specimen shots Will.

Pinus mugo 'Carstens' has a fantastic winter yellow. My photo doesn't do it justice.

Sara, thanks for reminding me that I need to try some more Cryptomeria.

Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan' also has an interesting winter color.

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Anyone growing Juniperus communis 'Kalebab'? I've always wondered if it's winter color was worth it.

• garcanad
    5 years ago

My Juniperus communis 'Kalebab' never showed me any interesting colour like that orange tint in the Conifer Encyclopedia. Have it for 6 yrs (zone 5b).

• garcanad
    5 years ago

This is Pinus sylvestris 'Wolting's Gold' in February; much faster grower than my 'Gold Coin' and 'Chief Joseph':

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 years ago

My 'Kalebabs' get pretty orange.

• garcanad
    5 years ago

Really envy your garden. I had to specially source 'Kalebabs' just to see its orange colour and still waiting for that colour to show. I was also dying to see that beautiful purplish foliage of Cryptomeria ever since I saw it in my first conifer book, and have killed many over the years trying.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago

Here's my young Chief Joseph, Picea Abies 'Aurea Magnifica', Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader', and Thuja orientalis 'Franky Boy'.

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

mugo "carstens"

mugo "honeycomb"

mugo 'Zundert" the chief in back

and densiflora " Burkes Red in spring comes out white slowly turning darker yellow thru winter

ron

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Loving this thread!

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

stole this from Jan at wbgarden , don't know what it is , but very nice

• maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The last picture looks a bit like some of the P. sylvestris clones that have dense growth at the tips. I’ve got P. s. ‘Moseri Gold’, which has a very muted winter color and isn’t all that impressive.

• wbgarden
    5 years ago

Pinus silvestris Blazek ...

wbgarden autumn

• maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jan, it has a nice, strong gold. Can you share a little history of it?

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

Jan , ALSO what is the pic I stole from your site

is that the Blazek ?

ron

• M A Zone 6B Bulgaria
    5 years ago

Hello everybody:)

I read you a lot but I haven't submitted a single comment so far.

Please, excuse my English, because I am a Bulgarian (zone 6b) and English is not my mother tongue. I am also a huge conifer fan and I'd like to share with you some of the yellow-hued pines I have in the garden, hope you enjoy them:)

Pinus mugo Little Gold Star

Pinus mugo Ophir

Pinus mugo Zundert

Pinus densiflora Aurea

Pinus mugo Carsten

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

Hello M A , and welcome , thanks for sharing ,,, what are companion plants with Little Gold Star ? looks like junipers pinkish with cold

ron

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Wow, your garden is absolutely beautiful M A.

• klemkeely
    5 years ago

Winter color in mountain pine, Pinus mugo var. Carsten's Wintergold in New England.

• maackia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is there another pine species that produces more gold cultivars than mugo? Anyhow, it has been a joy to take a virtual stroll through your gardens. Thank you.

• wbgarden
    5 years ago

To plantkiller ...

Stolen /shared/ photo - Pinus sylvestris Lysice. Local broom 15 years old.

Current photo January 2019.

Pinus parviflora Adcock´s dwarf yellow. Anybody knows correct name ?

Thank you.

As to Pinus sylvestris Blazek, maybe some ten years ago I´v received a few scions with this label. Blazek is Czech family name, but Czech internet don´t know such a gardener.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206883444833087&set=a.10200551489578163&type=3&theater 

• bamboo_nuts
    5 years ago

Welcome on board MA. Neat and clean garden. Great pictures as well. Thanks. J.N

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Hmm maackia. In this area, Scots pine is gonna get needlecast sooner or later, similar to what happens to blue spruce. Maybe less prone to that in your cooler climate.

• maackia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ben, that is a concern, but I'm hoping that minimizing stress will keep it alive for the next twenty years or so. I could live with that. :)