Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_haselhoef

Color me cohesive but cheap!

Judy O
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

1930s Tudor in need of a modernized color palette on a limited budget. Starting with the Living room, which measures 13 x 17 with 17 foot ceiling, and will move to other parts of this 1100 sf house with same palette.

The window inserts are brown and have to stay. But the curtains, stained glass, mantle, and carpet will go. I want to keep the references to the old, but my furniture is contemporary — grey leather and dark wood. (Note: walls are lath and plaster but, to date, no holes in them, except from that mantle. Plan to replace period lighting fixture with a unobtrusive ceiling fan for heat circulation and use fixture elsewhere.)

Questions: Do the beams stay dark or get painted lighter? What about the wood trim around the windows, on the bookshelves and floor trim? How to finish off that fireplace wall (grey is a gas insert)? And what color should the hardwood floor be refinished?

Any thoughts, save neon green, greatly appreciated.

Comments (83)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Great thoughts. I think you could paint the window trim and it would help declutter the look. I think i would not paint the beans because it adds the architectural look of the room. As to doing the fireplace wall the reason I like a gray is because it helps tone down the brick and it would work well with both sofas. If i recall you have gray one and black. Then sone pillows that pull everything together with a complimentary rug would anchor your room beautifully.
    Judy O thanked Flo Mangan
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would be more inclined to paint out the wood in bedrooms and leave the front as it is.

Judy O thanked emmarene9
  • Judy O thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

I would likely paint the window trim but it would depend on the rest of the house. Especially any areas seen from this room. (& yes, I do hope to see more pics and watch this house evolve) I would not paint the beams.... or that fireplace wall:-) Great that you will soon close and re-imagine this lovely Tudor for the 21st C.

Judy O thanked hollybar
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I would not paint any of the woodwork, but some people have suggested it so here are white windows and shelves...

...and all white woodwork (but I couldn't bear to paint the door).

Judy O thanked groveraxle
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Please don't paint any of the woodwork. It's beautiful and defines the space. Do whatever Groveraxel says :)

Concrete Fireplace Phx HG · More Info

Contemporary Rustic Home in Santa Fe · More Info

Choose wall paints that bring out the wood colors. Here, again, is Houzz's classic article on wall paints that harmonize well with wood trim and cabinets. Avoid stark whites:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200

Judy O thanked housegal200
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t paint any of the woodwork, don’t do anything to turn it into a generic tract home, beautiful room. I agree with removing the stained glass but would keep the period correct light fixture. If you replace it, store it away for possible future buyers.

Judy O thanked K Laurence
  • Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    Dont paint the window trim. That will destroy some of the Tudor Revival feel which is a major aspect of the charm and appeal of the house.
    Judy O thanked Lyndee Lee
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

You said the floors were close to the color of the trim, so I darkened them. I think this is my favorite look:

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    @Groveraxle
    I am in awe of your skills and appreciate your willingness to help. Thanks for the contributions!
    Judy O thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Judy O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! Our house has so many of the characteristics of the house in the last article you cited -- doorways, bookshelves, etc. Thank you for the references and feedback.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle - very nice job. I looked at that article and i really liked the use of the super dark woodwork in many of the photos. If you are going in a MCM or want an updated look I would consider that look.
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

Judy,you will find all sorts of styles in these older Tudors ranging from Zen minimalism to gothic excess and every stop in between. Somehow they still charm & most every approach can work. Maybe because this style was basically a fantasy, a pastiche from the start, so now is more malleable than first glance might suggest. When we started on the process of renovating our old Tudor, I knew we did not want a museum but I did want to stay true to the house's zany but elegant character. It took me a bit to get in the right groove for both us and the house,but eventually got there. Really looking hard at choices others made in their houses and considering closely what was worth saving and what wasn't, takes time and planning. I think a "first do no harm" approach is smart as you consider your options.

Judy O thanked hollybar
  • Judy O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I promise NOT to paint the woodwork. You've convinced me through words and photos!

Wonderful color samples to think about, though the creamy white may do wonders as the windows are not large.

I've found the recommended window coverings at a good price and based on the excellent, low-cost suggestions, I may have room in my budget to buy the Rothko as suggested. :)

I promise to post results as the rennovations take place.

And, tomorrow, to put the dining room up for your consideration. You all are invited for dinner after such excellent support.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Would be very helpful if you posted your furniture...

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

We're invited for dinner? Oh, goody! I hope it's a big can of Royal Canin. (The vet says I have to watch my weight.)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

love this one grover. exposing the brick makes that FP look so much better than what's there.

found a similar rug w/sofa and chairs.

maybe for the layout have two sofas facing each other, like here:

or a sofa w/two chairs opposite, table in the middle, all centered on the fireplace

• Judy O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, thank you for these layout and styling ideas. They really tell me I can be my eclectic self. PS Went to UC Irvine years ago, but remember the beginnings of Diamond Bar. Can't imagine how much it has changed.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

So your sofa is dark gray leather contemporary style and dark wood tables?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Judy H. yes it has. I remember going to horse shows in DB back in the 70's and thought I was in the boondocks! Yorba Linda too. yes,,very built up now and tons of traffic!

Judy O thanked Beth H. :
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Here is a source for brick stain. Don't ever paint brick. Use stain, it will keep the brick permeable. Painted brick can deteriorate under paint, or the paint can crack or peel. Brick Stain.

I am very glad to hear that you have decided not to paint the woodwork!

Judy O thanked Nancy in Mich
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

uh, they make paint for bricks that still allow it to breathe.

stain isn't the only option. just don't use drywall paint on the brick. (and it's inside so it really doesn't matter as much as exterior bricks)

Judy O thanked Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Wait a minute. Wait one goldarned minute! What brick are we painting here? Nooooooooooooooo!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

yes, good point. Nancyinmich,,,,who said anything about painting the brick?

(but they do make brick paint. doesn't have to be a stain)

Judy, just get the bricks cleaned well. if you feel they need updating, try a bit of lime wash, or else leave them as is.

Judy O thanked Beth H. :
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Wayyy up thread. It scared me! Just in case it came up again, I thought I would give the other option.

• Judy O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ooooh.... that was me. Obviously, I misspoke and will clean the brick.

As for furniture, I'm not yet certain what I can and can't get through the doors, but thanks for the consideration early on.

Will you accompany me to the dining room for some additiional challenges?

3031 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207 - realtor.com® · More Info

The dining area is 9 x 11. It has the same wood flooring, and many of the same design features as the living area. In addition, it has:

- two original corner cases with the 1930s etched glass,

- a cheap, lighting fixture that needs to go.

- a new casement window with new/not matching wood trim.

- a nitch for a phone, and

- my contemporary dining furniture from Pier One — a 4' oval glass tabletop over a cross piece base and six chairs (2 of one design and 4 of another, but similar)

What the majority of my new design friends suggested/decided in the living room was to:

- keep the paint color light (e.g warm white), and

- don't paint any of the woodwork

My questions, specifically, are:

-Shall I go ahead and paint the non-matching window trim?

- What do I do about the insets above the two corner cases?

- Shall we paint the picture hang trim at the very top of the walls?

- Does the color remain the same as the living room?

- Is it possible to use the 25" long period/original lighting fixture that is in the living room (which we've replaced with a contemporary fan)? YES, it's huge, but possibly interesting?

As always, thank you for your thoughts and efforts on my behalf.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Trim does not really have to match exactly, in my mind. If it is in the same color family and similar in style, it is good. If you feel the need for it to match better, consider having it stripped and restained. I would make a rule for this house: "don't paint any wood trim."

I am looking at that phone nook and thinking that it is in exactly the right place to be a charging station. You can grab your things as you head out the door. I would be looking to see if there is access to the backside of that wall from the foyer, and if an electrical wire can be snaked up to the nook!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

that larger, after-market, wood trim around the dining window has to go! wow. I wouldn't paint it, I'd remove it. It's far to thick.

find similar wood that matches the other trim in the room, and redo the window casing. . shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

if you want to paint the baseboard/crown, go for it

Judy O thanked Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Don't paint the trim. Stain it to match.

I think the light fixture you removed from the living area would be smashing over the dining table, even if it is too large. It will really make a statement.

The niches above the built ins deserve some kind of nifty artifacts. What will you put in the cabinets? Those would be a great place for a collection with a stellar example of one of your pieces in the niche above. If you don't have a collection, maybe time to start one, eh?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Agree with Beth that rather ugly window trim has to go. I worry a little about why it was done that way. Might be the wall needs repair? But it surely is bad DIY. While I am all for “restoration”, I think some changes are in order.
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

That dining room window does not look original to the house and that add-on trim...well,I would definitely remove it. If doing so scares you, or is out of budget,paint it. The proportion is out of whack and it overpowers the best parts of the space. The curves and the arches.

Judy O thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I think that the entire window in the DR is a poor choice. It's too wide and high, and most probably not original to the house. When you have the budget, you should probably replace it with something more appropriate to a Tudor--like a casement window--and better proportioned to the wall and the room. And then add trim to complement the original trim.

The room is rather narrow also, and is going to be a challenge to furnish. How often do you have sit-down dinners? On the plus side, the corner cabinets and niche are charming, and I do think that the living room chandelier would look great in the DR.

Judy O thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

A funky teapot collection and a round modern table...

• Judy O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Fabulous!

Adjusting the size of the window trim was brilliant. I like the cell phone charging station idea -- should be possible given the basement's accessibility. Thank you for seeing the possibilites of that grand light! And, though it will be difficult to give up my wooden slug collection, the teapots are just delightful.

Done! Thank you!

J

PS Did you like those crab rangoon I served?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

now do a dramatic color to play off that wood

Judy O thanked Beth H. :
  • lindahambleton
    5 years ago

Beth. WOW

• pat1250
    5 years ago
    Following
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago
    Following
  • shelleysmith999
    5 years ago
    Following
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

Take your pictures to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams visualizer and try out colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I would love your dining room in a deep blue. It would look great with your wood trim etc. and create a beautiful setting for this unique room. BM Van Deusen Blue is a fav of mine.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here is photo of dining room we helped a lady with and she was really nervous about the dark color but she loves it and it turned out so pretty. She was getting drapes so the room wasn’t finished at this stage but this will give you inspiration on what a deep color can do for a room. She also replaced her builder chandelier with a vintage inspired chandelier. Lighting is everything! Enjoy!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Van deusen blue:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Nice photo shop groveraxle, but on my screen (which could be off) the true color is much more intense and deep.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Like this.
  • Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    Aren't dining rooms sometimes set apart for a different look, more dressy....if that's a like of yours...
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Flo, I pasted the color swatch in the room so you can compare.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Yes, I saw that, but it looks too muddy for the true color. But in any case, getting samples either by doing yourself, Judy, or getting peel and stick from samplize.com will help decide. I love the peel and stick. Saves a lot especially if you factor in, proper disposal of sample paint leftovers, and the hassle that creates, storage of sample containers, cost of sample paint and proper boards for samples, etc., etc.