Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamiller040256

Miele W1 - pls explain about hot/cold inlets

M Miller
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am struggling between the Bosch washer and the Miele W1 (don‘t need a new dryer, just washer). I already have the 240v wiring/outlet, and am leaning toward the Bosch for that reason alone, but I like the Miele for all its features, and have other Miele products that have been great. In trying to figure out this choice, I’ve read threads on a bunch of forums.

This comment I pasted below from a recent thread about the Miele washers confused me. Can someone please tell me if it’s even correct, and if I need to be concerned about it?

“...regarding the different Miele models, the popular models have cold only inlets – they heat the water using a heat pump, whereas if you have an efficient hot water system, you may be better off getting a Miele model that takes both hot and cold inlets – these don't allow for a temperature controlled wash.”

Which one doesn’t allow for a temperature-controlled wash? What does that mean? Which Miele washer models have cold-only inlets? Thanks for the expert help from this forum!

Comments (13)

• zenhar24
    5 years ago

The user manuals for the W1 washers should be available for download on the MieleUSA.com web site.

I have not heard of a Miele washer using a heat pump mechanism to heat the water. I believe they still use an electrical heating element to do this.

M Miller thanked zenhar24
  • wdccruise
    5 years ago

The W1 washers have connections for cold and hot water. Operating and Installation Instructions.

M Miller thanked wdccruise
  • scottie mom
    5 years ago

I think you've got the washer confused with the dryer. The T1 dryer uses a heat pump, as well as a 120V receptacle. The W1 absolutely has hot and cold hookups. The washer has a heater, but not a heat pump, and it also only requires a 120V. Good luck.

M Miller thanked scottie mom
  • M Miller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone. I had copied that from a thread that I thought was just about the Miele washers. And since it mentioned hot and cold inlets, it seemed to be referring to the washers, not the dryers. I guess that person’s comment about the heat pump didn’t belong there!

Separate question - if I choose the Miele W1, I am concerned it’s not using the 240v of my previous Miele. I will need to get an adapter to convert the 240v to 120v. Does the 120v impact the washer’s performance, or am I overthinking this?

• scottie mom
    5 years ago

Correct! You are overthinking this ;-)

They provide an adaptor. i think it's like $30. I've seen some threads where people debate the hot water 240/120 issue with great--erm--enthusiasm. Unless you have some extraordinary needs, I suspect the W1 will serve you quite well. I had about a thousand doubts before committing to these machines, and they've all since floated away with every load of laundry. Hopefully, you have someone local who can sell, install, and service the machine?

• M Miller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Scottie mom - yes, I live in a large metropolitan area which has both a dedicated Miele showroom as well as several authorized Miele retailers.

I am just disappointed that I have to give up my 240v Miele washer (it’s old and has issues that cannot be repaired, but I love it), in exchange for the 120v model. I cannot afford the $3800 Little Giant.

• scottie mom
    5 years ago

Ah. I see. Well, from what I’ve heard, the W1 is a worthy competitor. I’ve never had any Miele before and now I understand the affection people like you have for the machines. I’m not sure what the disadvantage is to the 120v. In theory, I get it, but maybe it’s not such an issue.

I’d be interested to know if your local dealer has heard anything. Mine hadn’t heard anything much about the W1/T1, but I live in a small town and they are also pretty new to the US market. My dealer did say there was a LOT of enthusiastic interest from people who knew about the machines before they were even available! I decided to roll the dice and be a guinea pig. So far so good! Hope you get it sorted soon. The Little Giant does sound amazing, and makes the W1 seem downright reasonable in comparison ;-)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

The Miele WWH860WCS, WWF060WCS, WWH660WCS compact washers (and Miele TWI180WP TWF160WP compact dryers) were highly rated by Consumer Reports. Note that all washers and both dryers were expected to perform the same so you can buy the least expensive of each type (or buy by features) and obtain the same performance.

The washers and dryers run on 120 volts but you can buy an adapter to convert a 240v outlet to two 120 volt outlets. Note: the adapter only works for four-wire 240v outlets. If your 240v outlet is three-wire, you will have to update the circuit or use separate 120 volt outlets.

• scottie mom
    5 years ago

Wow, that's incredible Jerrod! I will say that the capacity is far larger than I expected. I've put an entire QS sheet set with duvet cover, no problem, and I have some heavy linen bedlinens that it handles with ease . I hope my W1 will last 15 years too :-)

• M Miller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

“Note: the adapter only works for four-wire 240v outlets. If your 240v outlet is three-wire, you will have to update the circuit or use separate 120 volt outlets.”

Lawrence Sprowls - I am returning to this thread with a follow-up question to your advice above. How do I know if my outlet is 3-wire or 4-wire? The outlet has 4 prongs. Here are some photos of my 240v 30A outlet if that helps:

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Pictured are two 4-wire outlets in a surface mount box.