Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

Getting jade to bloom

So, my beautiful jade finally bloomed last year. I left it out in the Omaha cold and it bloomed. This year I’m in Georgia and it’s December and the weather can’t figure out what it wants to do. we had a high of 65 today! It was beautifu! Anyway. I brought all my plants in except the jade (temps have dropped as low as 32, I bring it inside if it’s lower than 35). I did repot it this year too. Do y’all think there is any chance I can get it to bloom? I should I give up and bring it in too?

Comments (14)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Probably too late in the year, if it doesn't show buds by now. Probably yes. IMO, such a change of growing locations probably takes a growing season from a plant to adjust.

deva33 Z8 Atlanta thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Deva

I just found a "late bloomer"... I do not know when the buds opened, but there were none on this plant when I posted (Dec.18). This plant never bloomed yet, it is one of the bigger jades I have. There are very few flowers - just on 3 branches. Couple of them have just one or 2 buds, 3rd branch has opened bud + few more:

There was no 'special treatment' at all; all of them are in same location during summer and on same shelving, under not best light, while overwintering indoors.

Other jades started blooming much earlier and some flowers are starting to decline. This Akai was first to bloom - flowers on very right are starting to wilt and couple of others have turned quite pink lately:

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thats awesome Rina. I am thinking that since I am so far south this year as compared to the last 6 years, that it probably wont bloom. Or maybe itll bloom, just really late. I am keeping it outside for now. My apartment gets terrible light, so I have it in the sunniest corner of my balcony until temps drop too low. We have a high of 54 today, and it was around 60 on Christmas Day, so who knows.

• MAD zone 9b
    5 years ago

I have a jade that blooms every year during winter, and sometimes multiple times a year during other warmer seasons. Our high temps here have been in the 60-50 range, and mine has been in bloom for some time. I keep mine outdoors, facing north, shaded by the house all day and only gets reflected light. So your plant still has time to bloom if it wants to.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago

MAD, SouCal is like nowhere else in the USA for jade blooming - your plant reminds me of the multiple ones I had in the yard in San Diego which would be in flower now. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way for the rest of the country most of time.

• geoforce
    5 years ago

MAD.. That jade is a picture of perfection. Don't think I've ever seen a nicer looking one.

• MAD zone 9b
    5 years ago

I’m actually in the northern part of California, but I do have dry/arid air here which is one of the requirements for getting jade to bloom. I just assumed that since I was in a warmer climate, Deva moving south from Omaha & having warmer than normal winter temps for the new area wasn’t an issue since my avg temps are similar. According to this article https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/jade-plant/getting-a-jade-plant-to-bloom.htm

you need a mature plant, dry ambient air, no watering, no fertilizer, and cool nights with bright days (although mine gets zero direct sun). It says jade normally blooms late winter - spring, so if it doesn’t bloom now, it may still set buds & bloom in spring. Deva’s new area might be too humid, however. I’m not sure how humid it is in Georgia or what the threshold is for too much humidity.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

Deva, I'm in SW Florida and I have never had a jade bloom for me. It doesn't look like I'll get flowers this year, either. But I keep hoping!

My night time lows are in the mid-60s still. I had a week with lows in the 50s, but even my Thanksgiving cacti are late and only have 1/2 inch buds now.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Deva

Another very recent bloom: this jade never bloomed before, and it has just one lonely bloom. I didn't do anything with it at all, it is in west-facing window, no supplemental lights. It opened just few days ago:

Any luck with your plants?

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well look at that!

No luck with mine. My assumption is that the repot/move probably made it impossible. Maybe next year! Although - I do plan on repotting again. It just needs a nice big pot to grow up in!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Deva

How big is your jade? (from soil line to top of plant). I wonder if it needs new, bigger pot. Just wondering...I am not best in looking after them I guess, have quite a few that have not been repotted for about 5years (maybe bit longer). But I am not trying to grow huge plants either. I think I'll do lots of repotting soon, as many of those old, plastic pots (all recycled) are starting to break. They have been exposed to rain, sun and whatever weather, for many years. Few of these plants have bloomed for last 3 years, so maybe not repotting works - I really do not know.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My jade is about 18” tall. Maybe more. It’s getting pretty big. And I need and emergency repot in the spring. But I should’ve gotten a bigger pot than I did. It’s maybe 10” pot.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Bigger jades I have - from approx.17" to 27" - are in 5.5" and 6.5" pots. Smaller than that are in 4" pots (even smaller for plants growing from cuttings). I have only 1 that is 25" tall and in 10" pot - that is a pot plant came in 5yrs ago and I never repotted it. That plant has not bloomed.