Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisawiet

Xmas decor gone/need centerpiece for formal DR

Lisa SW
5 years ago
Now that the Xmas decor is gone I can’t continue to procrastinate any longer in selecting a centerpiece and fabric for the dining chairs. With the exception of adding wainscoting the room will remain as is despite its limitations. For reference, table is 44” x 68” and chandelier is 25”. I love the chandelier so I want something to complement but not overshadow it. My home is very traditional but lately I’ve been drawn to traditional with a modern twist. Open to any and all ideas for centerpieces and some advice on scale. I think I’d like some color (blue/greens) on the chairs. I’m not opposed to mixing a small pattern with the rug as long as it’s “abstract”. I’ve recovered the chairs before, but I don’t think I have the skills to keep a strong geometric pattern straight.

Comments (2.1K)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

There must be a reason why this old post has been revived. We’re there no good ideas in the 2000+ comments? What did you eventually decide on for a centerpiece? Show us!

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure thing. I’ve shown it before but it does get lost in this thread. I went with a custom floral arrangement in a Victorian tureen and distressed velvet on the chairs. And I wish I could prevent this thread from being a featured discussion.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Hey Lisa. It’s still gorgeous. Hope the girls are thriving in their new town. Is it cold up there now. Perfect knitting weather?

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey Seajay! Don’t know about Chicago, but it’s in the 50s in Columbus, OH. Dr W is presenting at a conference and came in early so we could spend the day together. Columbus has great restaurants and I’ve already over-indulged. Oh, and I’ve been splurging on scrumptious yarn and doing a lot of knitting.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Looking beautiful. Love your arrangement too. Thanks for sharing again. Can’t wait to see your knitting projects too!

• justcallmepool
    4 years ago

Love the way it all turned out Lisa!

I couldn't find my seagull picture haha.

But really, the complaint should not be to OP or anyone commenting. The complaint should be to Houzz to make it so people can edit their Original Post and add some updates with comments and new photos. That would solve most of the seagull spottings.

• ladma
    4 years ago

Lisa, in the past threads that have solved the dilemma, and turned to chats, have been moved to “other”. I think Emily at Houzz can answer how that happens. I don’t know you to reach her specifically thru support. The other chats have fewer seagulls

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

I found mine.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Seajay. I just fell over laughing.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Haha haha!

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Only because Flo asked:))) This must be seen and felt (wool, silk and alpaca) in person to understand why it’s the perfect sweater with leggings. I received compliments from strangers at the Columbus Museum of Art.

• ladma
    4 years ago

that's beautiful!

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Can’t believe you knit that by hand. I know you did but WOW! Beautiful color too.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Very nice Lisa. Looks like it hangs well.

• melindas1977
    4 years ago

Beautiful! Love the color!

• niccidhg
    4 years ago

You are so talented, Lisa. I love your sweater. It is really pretty.

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome to my world. A Harvard professor has lost her phone the second time today. It’s cold, but we’re going for a walk to retrieve the found phone.

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The phone was not at the restaurant. However, we found it in the bed at the hotel. Some people have intellectual smarts; others like me have street smarts.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Great sweater, wish we could feel it. :). Glad the phone was lost in your room. I’ve come across a lot of lawyers like that.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Hahaha Molly. You can say that again. Sometimes it was astonishing that their socks matched.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh that sweater is a work of art! Wow! Totally amazing and since I knit, I can truly appreciate the work in that along with the raglan sleeve. OMG so complicated to get just right. Just fantastic! Makes me want to get out my needles! Glad you found the phone. Such a challenge. Mine has a dying battery, so you know what that means. I have to go through the agony of getting a new phone. This one has lasted 3 years, so I'm due. Planned obsolescence! Stormy day today, but it stayed fine while we were picking Mike up. He is HOME!!! Yea!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Hi Lisa, just wanted to come here and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and hope you have a happy healthy New Year. Hope you and your family enjoy your beautiful DR over Christmas. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Did you finish that sweater. You always make me want to break out my needles! Sure hoping you and yours make some wonderful new memories while the “woman” in your painting smiles down on y-all! Enjoy!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours Lisa! Hope it’s just wonderful ♥️

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Merry Christmas Lisa. Hope it’s merry and bright! Say hey to the twins for me. ;)

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Seasons greetings! Wms, thank you for reviving this thread. I’ve grown so weary of the glitches that I haven’t been on Houzz much, but I’ve missed you all. I’m thankful for the opportunity to celebrate the holidays with you, my friends. I’m fortunate to have both girls home for an extended stay, but double the adults, double the cats, and we’re trying to find our equilibrium. Blessed and joyous holidays for all.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Holiday blessings to you and your sister Seajay!

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And Flo, I’m not sure which sweater you’re referring to, but I’m sure I finished. All the Houzz glitches sent me on a knitting rampage. November was Knit a Sweater in a Month month. I knit three, increasing my odds in the drawing. I won the $100 gift card. Shhhhh...we’ll keep it a secret how much I spent to win that $100. (But my winter wardrobe is expanding.)

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Thank you Lyn. Merry Christmas and blessings to you too. Sis is responding pretty well to chemo. Time will tell. One day at a time.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and Sis Seajay. May your New Year be filled with hope and happiness.♥️

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Hilarious! The sweater I meant as I recall, had a kind of raglan sleeve and a collar right all in one piece. Guess using circular needles? I think you posted partially completed back in Oct/Nov period. 3 sweaters in one month! Wow I am really impressed now! You go girl.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I have just found out about Seajay’s sister. I was so surprised and shocked to learn of this. Seajay, hope all of this will behind her soon and the both of you have a wonderful stress free Christmas. You are both in my prayers.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year Lisa! That goes for all the rest of you lovely people here too♥️

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Lisa- hope you have had great holiday and family memories were made! Happy New Year!!

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Happy New Year to Lynn, Flo and all. We had an unusually lazy Xmas, due primarily to twin 2 who had a flu-like thing, probably caught on the plane. I escaped with just a severe head cold, but missed the family Xmas eve celebration. Same sick twin had nothing to open Xmas morning because Nordstrom chose a delivery service repeatedly investigated for theft. But I’m sure someone enjoyed the earrings and sweater under their tree;-) Nevertheless, time together is the greatest gift of all. I have already celebrated the New Year, choosing to do so on London time. I did welcome 1977 in from Trafalgar Square. At the time, tradition was for the bobbies to line the square and for the women to kiss them all (I did). We also jumped in the fountain, but it was the height of the energy crisis and there was no water. Ah, the memories of a bunch of teenagers turned loose in Europe!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

So glad you were able to salvage some good family time anyway. Happy Healthy New Year!!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Lisa, that is awful that your daughters gift was stolen! :(. I hope they sort it out for you at least. Also sorry twin 2 and you weren’t well on Christmas Eve. The London fireworks this year was supposed to be the largest in the world so great way to celebrate! :) Hope you are feeling better now and Happy New Year!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

What a shame indeed! What with porch pirates and delivery theft you really are taking a chance having anything delivered! I hope everyone is feeling better and can go into the New Year feeling reinvigorated! I have been very busy breaking down my office of so many years into a bedroom for my two little granddaughters. It has been a bittersweet journey for me! This room is were I worked and created and spent countless hours into the night for many years. Purging reference material and catalogs and storing files has been difficult! It is also a lot of work as I have a Lot of very heavy things to move! I also bought a set of vintage wood twin beds that I am painting! I also helped a designer friend of mine move this past week and she has much more stuff than I do!!! Yikes; occupational hazard! Too much stuff and unwillingness to let go... I am getting better at that . My New Years Resolution!

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the New Year’s wishes. Oh Lyn, that must be so difficult. We’ve been gradually purging over the past few years, but the idea of a someday move is still daunting. Nordstrom’s did make things right financially, refunding the sweater that was no longer available and sending the earrings overnight delivery, but that doesn’t make up for the absence of a present under the tree. Daughters live in apartments in cities, and theft is a problem, but where I live neighbors drop by when they see a package on your porch. I ordered on 12/2, and on 12/17/Nordstrom’s notified me that package was delayed but carrier assured them package would be delivered by 12/24. I suspected the carrier’s story would change on 12/26, which it did. The carrier has been the subject of BBB, NBC and other investigations. There’s security footage of drivers placing a package on a porch, taking a picture, and then picking up the package and driving off. Sure, I’ll name them — United Delivery Service which serves some Midwest states.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

That’s just unbelievable! It’s getting harder to have faith in people anymore:(! In the end we all pay higher cost to make up for these losses! I once returned to a store when I realized they hadn’t changed me for an item. The sales person was so astonished. That made me very sad....

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lyn, nice to be in the company of honest folks, and I’m sure others on this thread will join us. Years ago — when my horse was alive — it was my habit to work him and then stop at the local grocery store for Starbucks and a salad from the deli section. I finished the salad while driving home and then realized I’d forgotten to pay for it. I drove back, told them to fill a container to the brim, and that’s what I’d pay for. They too were astounded, and lunch was complimentary.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

We must be dinosaurs from another era Lisa;)))!!!

• ladma
    4 years ago

I’ve gone back to pay, too. My dad had a retail jewelry store and those five fingers discounts can really hurt. The good stuff was locked in cases, but it was easy to try on a costume necklace and walk out, if we weren’t eagle eyed.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Happy New Year Ladma!

• Molly
    4 years ago

Lisa such a bummer about the porch pirate and being sick to boot. Hope you have a happy, healthy new year!

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Lisa. I think I neglected to wish you and hubby and the twins a very Happy New Year. Great things ahead in 2020.

• Lisa SW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Seajay, I think I neglected to wish you and sis the sam in return. May the New Year bring good things. And the same for Ladma, who I may also have failed to name. Okay...who else;-)

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Seajay! Sending you and your sister Happy New Year wishes!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

And Molly too!

• ladma
    4 years ago

Who can keep anything straight these days! Happy New Year to all of you, May it be all you hope for!